BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What do YOU LOVE about your GT?

12K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Firstgt 
#1 ·
.....besides EVERYTHING! :D

I have been absolutely thrilled with this car! I haven't had this feeling about a car in a long time. Finally, a car that is a perfect balance between sport, luxury, and utility. Sedans are totally impractical for me, SUV's are too truck-like, many hatchbacks are too small, and "wagons" make me think of wood-paneling.

I love the fit and finish - it's really exquisite. I love being able to transport paintings, furniture, plants, sails, tons of luggage, etc. in such style. I am giddy over how well the car handles. "Drives small" is the perfect expression. I can go screaming around tight curves like the car is on rails. Everyone, including the extremely tall people in my family, fits comfortably and has an easy time entering and exiting. Despite all of the wonderful function and utility, there is such an adroit grace about the GT. It's a very sophisticated vehicle.

I couldn't help but start a "gush" thread! What do you love?

#3 ·
Okay dmunz I think starryeyed wanted to keep this thread PG!!! :rofl:

#4 ·
Dinan Stage 2

love just about everything about my GT except the trapezoid tail pipes...

got the car back today with Dinan stage 2..
Now i really love my GT
501 HP

exhaust is next!

#5 ·
Although I have only had my GT for 8 days, I second everything said by starryeyed. I will also add that I LOVE not seeing many GTs on the road!

#9 ·
Aw, shucks. :) In addition to not being able to contain myself about this car (!), I want to make sure anyone researching the GT realizes what an "ultimate" vehicle it really is!

Lex and dmunz, you guys are too funny! :rofl: We're big fans of the back seat too, in a very G-rated way!

And the new cupholders are SO much better than my '08.

Also, I am so happy that BMW took the climate control operation out of the iDrive. Now, it's so easy to adjust the settings. And the system works beautifully.

What else?

#13 ·
starry come drive it... it really does freak people out when they get in this big luxury car and it drives like a little sports car.. Took friends out to dinner last night about 20 miles away they spent half the ride leaning forward looking at the speedometer in disbelief... the combination of comfort and speed in this car is unrivaled....
mp

#21 ·
You are SO RIGHT mpress! Every car I have owned I take down the same curvy rural road and the GT is far superior to everything else. The handling is so precise without being too squirrelly. It's effortless. And despite whipping around hairpin turns at ridiculous speeds, I feel like I haven't even pushed the limits of the car yet.

Good you have another ride in the stable because when I come drive your 501 HP pony, it may be a while before I come back! Ha-ha! :D

#14 ·
I love everything about my GT but on an 80 degree NY day my other baby gets to come out and retake center stage!!!!

Attachments

#16 ·
Sport+ :) Had to drive the GT into work last night. Loop road around the Atl, turns are a little tighter on the way home, that will keep you awake at 6am.

Already 4k miles, July will bring a trip with at least another 1700.

New wheels hopefully will be here in less then two weeks. :bigpimp:

#22 · (Edited)
Sport+ :) Had to drive the GT into work last night. Loop road around the Atl, turns are a little tighter on the way home, that will keep you awake at 6am.

Already 4k miles, July will bring a trip with at least another 1700.

New wheels hopefully will be here in less then two weeks. :bigpimp:
Funny how those miles add up, right? I find myself offering to drive everywhere. Oh, the next-door-neighbor needs milk? I'll go!

Please be sure to post pictures of the new wheels!!

I haven't spent much time in Sport+ mode - how would you describe the difference in driving experience between Sport+ and regular Sport?

#24 ·
The fastest I drove mine in Germany was the recommended 100mph until the breakin period was over, but I did ride at that speed for awhile. It is definately noisier at 100, but it's not objectionable. It would have been nice to try to hit max speed, but didn't want to stress things, and the traffic was too high to probably get much more, plus many sections have speed limits anyways.

#29 ·
100 mph in my GT vs. 100 mph in my '08 535 Wagon - there's such a huge difference. I had to really project my voice to have a conversation at 100 in the '08. The GT is sooo much quieter - I don't have to belt out the words to be heard.

You'll have to take your car to Loudon for one of the BMW Club track sessions. Any idea how fast you can go there?

#27 ·
Other than the whole car, I would say the response you get from other people.

I was picking up a large pair of JBL 4333s this weekend from Craigslist sellers and they couldn't believe that they fit the car. Not only that, they had two E39 5-series, one M5 and one 540i, and they were all over my car as this was the first time they saw one.

They loved the back seat as well...but mostly because they had a 2 year old and 5 weeks old baby :D

I did my best to sell them on how great the GT is, we need more of them on the road!

They told me that they looked at the X5 but the wife didn't like it (she drives the M5...). I wonder why their SA didn't show them the GT. BMW definitely needs to increase the awareness of the GT with their own SA.

#28 ·
Other than the whole car, I would say the response you get from other people.

I was picking up a large pair of JBL 4333s this weekend from Craigslist sellers and they couldn't believe that they fit the car. Not only that, they had two E39 5-series, one M5 and one 540i, and they were all over my car as this was the first time they saw one.

They loved the back seat as well...but mostly because they had a 2 year old and 5 weeks old baby :D

I did my best to sell them on how great the GT is, we need more of them on the road!

They told me that they looked at the X5 but the wife didn't like it (she drives the M5...). I wonder why their SA didn't show them the GT. BMW definitely needs to increase the awareness of the GT with their own SA.
More of them, but not too many! I live in a small town and this past week I saw 3 others! I couldn't believe it.

You're right though - BMW has come up with a pretty unique concept where exposure and awareness are key to its success.

#32 ·
The top view camera sounds pretty sweet. I would probably use that a lot for parallel parking.

I drove home in a driving rainstorm and the GT handled magnificently. I'm not sure what it's called, but you know when the wheels on just one side of the car hit pooling water and the difference causes the car to shimmy and swerve? I hit pooling water at about 75 mph, but the effects on the GT were minimal - hardly any swerving. The car felt so solid.

I love the way the GT handles rain!

#33 ·
I have my 530d GT since about 4 months and did 3000 km. I enjoy it everyday.
What I like particularly are:
- confort seats
- soft close door
- line departure
- space and comfort in the back
- iPhone integration and web radios
- great drive and parking with IAS and DH
- large GPS screen that can be split
- low consumption on average 8.5l/100 km with mix highway and city
- sun roof
- electric boot

#34 ·
I'll add on to mine:
1. Visibility. Excellent sight lines to the right when I'm backing out of the driveway.
2. BT integration. Pulls my substantial list of contacts in from my iPhone effortlessly and call quality/sound is excellent.
3. Send destination to the car via Google Maps. Beats the heck out of entering addresses.
4. Included traffic conditions and dynamic rerouting. Sure it's available on a $150 garmin so it should be included in a $2000 nav package (but isn't in many cases).

#38 ·
I love the duality of the car, which is consistent with BMW's approach of building 2 cars, into 1. My wife treats and drives the car as a luxury sedan. I prefer the Sport+ suspension/steering setting coupled with manual mode. While it's never going to drive and feel like our 328xi sedan, it comes fairly close to it, in the sport setting, so both of us are able to enjoy driving the car!:thumbup:

#42 ·
1. Wind noise
2. Run flat tires
3. Adding oil every 2k miles
4. Having to hold the steering wheel to the left so it does not drive off to the right side of the road
5. MPG
6. Rear window aka thermal solar collector

#43 · (Edited)
Was a beautiful day today still lovin my GT But it was baby brothers day today.. Forgot how much I love this old boy!! My roadster is 51 years old this month..

Attachments

#44 ·
Was a beautiful day today still lovin my GT But it was baby brothers day today.. Forgot how much I love this old boy!! My roadster is 51 years old this month..[/QUOTE

I know what you mean. I have a 2003 C2 Cab which I will never give up I love to take it out on good days. Can't compare to the BMW.

#45 ·
I love the hatch

I needed to pressure wash my driveway yesterday. I got some funny looks when I pulled up to the tool rental shack at Home Depot but the pressure washer fit just fine. All I had to do was pop out the deck lid, I didn't even need to fold down the seats. :thumbup:

FWIW
DLM

#46 ·
Dinan Stage II

I'm one of those former wagon owners who moved to the 550GT. Must say I was a bit disappointed by the performance, as my 540I Wagon (with a Dinan performance upgrade) was FASTER in some situations, like passing... And, the gas mileage was averaging under 17Mpg while my wagon had run about 22mpg overall.

So, I went for the Dinan stage II upgrade and WOW! This is the kind of performance I would have liked to see out of the chute. In Drive mode, it is very luxurious and a little stodgy; you have to really stomp on it to wake up the turbos and get some serious power.

On the other hand, Sport mode turns it into a whole different car: a SPORTS car! Better performance across the board, maybe a little too much so for the wife :) Shifting, acceleration, suspension, everything works better with the Dinan upgrade!

The added bonus: my first road trip I stayed in Drive mode and drove 70mph road miles for a tank of gas. My mileage was 24.95mpg!

Now my overall AVERAGE is 18.6mpg, I have had it up as high as 19mpg overall - nearly what the wagon would do.

The mileage is very directly tied to driving style now.

And it is fast. Very, very, fast! No question it would blow the doors off my old wagon.

I highly recommend the expensive Dinan upgrade, will pay for itself in gas and grins!

#47 ·
Wow! What a ride

The engine in the 2013 550i GT has really sparked the performance of the car. There us a clear difference in the Eco, Comfort, Comfort+, Sport, and Sport+ modes. The Sport+ mode significantly accentuates the entire driving experience and behavior of the car.
The offered amenities provide great comfort. The camera packages and blind spot warning provide a feeling of safety in all situations.
I could not be more pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.