BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Italy's road rules sting travelers - interesting piece from today's LA Times

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  640GC 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Wowza....is this real??

#3 ·
Yes. We have posted info on the ZTL regulations in the Wiki for several years now. Take this stuff seriously.

#4 ·
I think it is likely that I got one of these tickets while in Milan for "the Last Supper" (which, by the way, is in a pedestrian zone or otherwise limited zone of some sort) in May. Have not yet received a ticket. Not that I scoff the law or anything, but I am still not exactly sure what the enforcement mechanism would be to make you pay from oversees.

Is anybody aware of what happened to anybody who did NOT pay a ticket, either this type or for speeding?

#5 ·
I think it is likely that I got one of these tickets while in Milan for "the Last Supper" (which, by the way, is in a pedestrian zone or otherwise limited zone of some sort) in May. Have not yet received a ticket. Not that I scoff the law or anything, but I am still not exactly sure what the enforcement mechanism would be to make you pay from oversees.

Is anybody aware of what happened to anybody who did NOT pay a ticket, either this type or for speeding?
I got this kind of ticket in Pisa on accident but as I was in a rental car at the time, I didn't know about it until about 4 months later when my credit card was charged by the rental company. When I inquired about it, they said it was for a fine. A week or so later the actual ticket came in the mail (via the rental company) but it was only $50 or so if I remember correctly so I just paid it and figured I'd just be more observant the next time. Not sure what happens if you don't pay though...

#12 ·
I had to drive in the ZTL in Florence because our hotel was there. I guess the parking garage calls the police to cancel the ticket. I saved the emailed from the hotel stating they would do that. Whatever that's worth. Either way driving in the city itself was a nightmare!

#13 ·
In Milan, we deposited the car at our hotel, the Westin Palace and took public transportation until we departed to Florence. In Florence, we also parked our car at the St. Regis/Westin Excelsior and walked everywhere. Both hotels used a near by parking garage.

I think I may get tagged in Lucca as we needed a PNL Parabas bank ATM and got stuck going down a little alley way. Finally got out and into a parking lot and then walked back into the restricted zone. The car did caution me that I was entering a restricted zone, but there was no way to go backwards. I didn't see any cameras, hopefully I'll be lucky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.