BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Italy's road rules sting travelers - interesting piece from today's LA Times

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  640GC 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Wowza....is this real??

#3 ·
Yes. We have posted info on the ZTL regulations in the Wiki for several years now. Take this stuff seriously.

#4 ·
I think it is likely that I got one of these tickets while in Milan for "the Last Supper" (which, by the way, is in a pedestrian zone or otherwise limited zone of some sort) in May. Have not yet received a ticket. Not that I scoff the law or anything, but I am still not exactly sure what the enforcement mechanism would be to make you pay from oversees.

Is anybody aware of what happened to anybody who did NOT pay a ticket, either this type or for speeding?

#5 ·
I think it is likely that I got one of these tickets while in Milan for "the Last Supper" (which, by the way, is in a pedestrian zone or otherwise limited zone of some sort) in May. Have not yet received a ticket. Not that I scoff the law or anything, but I am still not exactly sure what the enforcement mechanism would be to make you pay from oversees.

Is anybody aware of what happened to anybody who did NOT pay a ticket, either this type or for speeding?
I got this kind of ticket in Pisa on accident but as I was in a rental car at the time, I didn't know about it until about 4 months later when my credit card was charged by the rental company. When I inquired about it, they said it was for a fine. A week or so later the actual ticket came in the mail (via the rental company) but it was only $50 or so if I remember correctly so I just paid it and figured I'd just be more observant the next time. Not sure what happens if you don't pay though...

#7 ·

Since you were driving a car registered to you, they'll track you down via the registration, and eventually a ticket will appear in the mail. In you don't pay it you'll likely be "invited" to not return to Ialy.

If driving a rental, the company will charge your credit card (and add on a huge fee) as described in another posting.

The signs are pretty hard to miss - a huge black and white sign with a picture of a camera on it.

#10 · (Edited)
Have you been to the area in which "The Last Supper" is located in Milan? Nothing is "hard to miss" when you are turning in circles around blind corners and six streets intersect with a large island in the middle of the intersection holding a permanent carnival. The only way I even figured out that I might have been on camera was after parking my car in a garage six blocks away and walking back towards the abbey in which it is located, I saw a large camera installation hanging over one of the roads on which I may have been driving. But I haven't received anything in the mail yet.

Whatever the ticket, seeing "The Last Supper" was worth it- it was one of the most impressive pieces of artwork I have ever seen.
There's very little upside to be gotten from driving in Milan. Did about 2k on our trip to Italy but cabbed it in Milan.

La Centola is definitely worth a trip but book early. Slots fill well in advance.

#11 ·
There's very little upside to be gotten from driving in Milan. Did about 2k on our trip to Italy but cabbed it in Milan.

La Centola is definitely worth a trip but book early. Slots fill well in advance.
I definitely second both of your comments. My plan was to park in a structure along the eastern side of the city close to public transit, but due to the major earthquake the day before (I was actually in Ferrara for that) resulted in a lot of delays and schedule changes, so I had to scrap that plan at the last minute. I had tried to avoid all Italian cities, and cities in general on my ED trip. Tried to hit the more remote, out-of-the-way places.

My recommendation for anyone going to Milan is to do the parking structure/public transport thing, but if you cannot, then just drive around the ring road and park there and walk the kilometer or so to get to "The Last Supper."

#12 ·
I had to drive in the ZTL in Florence because our hotel was there. I guess the parking garage calls the police to cancel the ticket. I saved the emailed from the hotel stating they would do that. Whatever that's worth. Either way driving in the city itself was a nightmare!

#13 ·
In Milan, we deposited the car at our hotel, the Westin Palace and took public transportation until we departed to Florence. In Florence, we also parked our car at the St. Regis/Westin Excelsior and walked everywhere. Both hotels used a near by parking garage.

I think I may get tagged in Lucca as we needed a PNL Parabas bank ATM and got stuck going down a little alley way. Finally got out and into a parking lot and then walked back into the restricted zone. The car did caution me that I was entering a restricted zone, but there was no way to go backwards. I didn't see any cameras, hopefully I'll be lucky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.