BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New JB4 install

14K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  PeterC4 
#1 ·
Installed the Stage 2 N55 JB4 tuner today. Not as easy as it is presented to do, but I got it done. I would have liked to see about 3" more cable as the last connector is pretty tight even with the cable run as well as I could get it. I don't think I will be removing it either for service. The dang connectors are a PITA to get apart to remove the wiring. Next step will be to get the USB connector into the glove box.

I would not have minded paying more for a Dinan tune or even getting a Cobb tuner. Too bad neither has any tunes for our F10 535i yet.

Now the fun, noticeably more "go" to the 535i xDrive. No comparison to my missed 2008 335xi with the Dinan Stage 2 tuning though. I will update a bit more as I drive around, but expect to have the same reaction as others that have done the Burger Stage 2 on their 535i.:thumbup:

#3 ·
Congrats. The 535 guys are long overdue for getting some tunes

#6 ·
Not what I would say a hard install, just those dang connectors are all difficult to take apart and you can expect some hand scraping to happen....

Very noticeable acceleration increase. I think drivability is better and my wife does as well. So far, I would still put it in.

#8 ·
Enjoying the resonse of the JB4 still. I will keep it in there until I go either Cobb or Dinan with ECU tuning if either of those is ever released.
Questions for other JB4 users:
Do you think Map 5 is better than Map 1?
Have you been able to run the USB cable into the glove box easily? I have not found the easy way into the interior that is posted over on N54tech for a 2011. Do I need to open up the ECU to find that hole?

#10 ·
Congrats!! I am looking forward in hearing your thoughts after the tune and vehicle have gotten past the honeymoon period :).

I should know the answer to this, but what is the boost with Map 1 on the JB4?

I am still debating if it is even worth getting the stage 2 over the stage 1. There is no need or real use with switching to different maps on the F10 n55. I can bump up the boost on the Stage 1.

#11 ·
Congrats!! I am looking forward in hearing your thoughts after the tune and vehicle have gotten past the honeymoon period :).

I should know the answer to this, but what is the boost with Map 1 on the JB4?

I am still debating if it is even worth getting the stage 2 over the stage 1.
MORE HORSES! MORE TORQUE!

I have the Stage one, and I want MORE, ordering the stage two upgrade kit as soon as she's back from service. (and yes I unistalled it for service) It really only takes about 10 minutes if you have the right tools.

FYI: If you already have the stage one, the stage two is only $150 plus a $20 core charge refunded when you return the stage one control box. IMHO the upgrade is a no brainer.

#12 ·
For those of you who are looking to tune your N55 535i/xi, you might want to also check out the new Scorcher module from aFe. It works as a piggy back system as well and it is much easier to install vs the BMS product. The aFe Scorcher module will put out 40hp and 80lbs x ft torque on the N55. It's relatively easy to install and uninstall and can be done in 30 mins. You can check out the (installation guide here).

#17 ·
Maybe it's me, but I think jumping in the middle of a member's thread about his install to advertise a competing system sold by the interloper (A.K.A. hijacking for commercial purposes) is pretty crass behavior. No?:nono:

#14 ·
Indeed it does look mostly identical and from what I can tell about from only looking at it online is that it looks like a sealed unit, without the capacity for future upgrades (without removing the harness) and doesn't have the interface features of the JB4.

I couldn't find a price on ModBargains to do a HP and torque to $ value.

FYI: ModBargains has both the stage 1 and stage 2 BMS JB4 tunes as well, although I could find no info about core charges/refunds,

#16 ·
aFe does make performance parts from intakes, downpipes, exhausts, and now to tunes! The aFe scorcher module is pretty affordable at and are listed for $475 + shipping.

Dyno:
Yikes: 69.69 Tq and 9.4 hp to the wheels.....for $479 :dunno:
Maybe my math is wrong but it seems for the money and flexibility the JB4 stage one with 30hp and 60tq is a better deal.
Although thats a beefy torque increase for the AFE tune!

#19 ·
Hi BH,

My opinion differs from yours on this matter. I would be interested to hear from the tread starter on this. I would be happy to honor his opinion since it's his thread.

Regards -

#20 ·
Hello Q,

You do realize of course that we have now hijacked this thread....:angel: I was just pointing out that they also sell the competitors tune. I think we are more guilty of thread takeover than ModBargains. Agree to disagree,

My apologies to the OP and to you for any perceived slight.

#21 ·
I agree with Q. This thread is about my install of the JB4 and questions and experiences I and others have about the install and use. But, in the end whatever floats your boat. It is an open forum I guess.:rolleyes:

#24 · (Edited)
We carry both the BMS and aFe products and this is an open forum for discussion. The OP mentioned other tunes such as the Dinan and Cobb and I'd just thought I'd point out at there are other options out there for you N55 535 owners.

The BMS stage 1 tune is the only option that currently works on the N55 535i/xi models. From what I know, the stage 2 is not officially released for the N55 535i/xi models and is currently in testing. I'm sure that it will be officially released soon.

#28 ·
Not true. I am running the Stage 2 in my 535i xDrive right now. The Burger Tunes for the 535 just does not have all the interface options yet through the steering wheel.

#29 ·
Can anyone answer my question about how to get the USB cable inside the car? Do I need to take the cover off the ECU to access the hole that is shown on the N54tech.com? Any help out there?

#34 · (Edited)
Update:

Got S2 Friday, installed it that night and drove just a little then and a little today..while I know it isn***8217;t twice as powerful as the S1, but oh man does it feel like it. wow! It could be because the S1 wasn***8217;t installed for a few days, and my car drives better after the last service visit, but it feels wickedly quick. So far so good.

FYI: start to finish with modifying the harness for the upgrades and reinstalling the whole thing, including disconnecting the battery terminal and removing the electrical cover. 45 minutes. My guess is slightly longer for those less mechanically inclined, but overall if you plan accordingly and remove the air-box cover it***8217;s fairly easy.

More to come***8230;.

#35 ·
I am about to pull the trigger for JB4 for my recently purchased 2011 535i.I have noticed that some forum members complain about great difficulties during the installation.Is it more difficult than installing procede on E92(N54),that I have done multiple times with no problems at all ? Are there any installation videos available ?

#36 ·
Awesome update BigHungry. You are making my itch worse!

Did you ever change the boost on your Stage 1 tune? I will wait for your next update after you had some time for the tune and vehicle to marry and mingle. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on power delivery, how smooth it is, and if the turbo pull is more noticeable.

Thanks for the update.

#42 ·
No, I never changed the boost, I didnt have the cable when the S1 arrived, but ordered it with the S2.
I can tell you thus far that for what I can feel in the difference between stock-S1-S2, negates any potential for feeling bad about the money.
Bang for buck it's pretty sweet, simple to install, 45 minutes if you have the right tools.
There have been no warning lights, error codes or change in vehicle status to this point.

Driving impressions:

Power in lower gears is more evident but shifts are still a bit jerky 1-2.
The car holds gears longer even in comfort/normal mode.
Where the power band was before with S1 or stock is where you will feel the brunt of the increase.
Right from 2k to 6k rpm, the thing just hauls ass. Literally it holds you back in the seat for WOT stomps
The turbo spools faster and you can for sure hear more turbo whine, as well as hear the intake (stock) sucking in air. (at slower speeds) That's pretty awesome.

It's very nearly how the car should feel power-wise (still could use more...always more) and its more BMWish.
I can honestly say that the car has tons more torque and you can feel it. As for hp to the wheels; it's less evident than the torque but it is quicker to get up and go for sure and normal mode isn't bad to drive in anymore.
It has faster throttle response, revs higher and quicker between shifts in any mode and is more fun to drive.

The transmission is still a tiny bit wishy-washy especially during aggressive cornering and braking, it still seems to fish for gears.
After the service visit I was expecting improvement there but it is still noticeable with the added power and torque.
Wheel slippage is easy off the line now even without DSC turned off.

Ate a Mustang GT 0-85 saturday morning. No big Deal...but fun (save your street racing is bad comments...I know this already...One time thing).

Bang for buck it gets a thumbs up from me.
:thumbup:

#37 ·
Has anyone actually done before and after dyno on any of these tunes?

Just not that big on the hype...

I mean, exactly 40hp, and exactly 80lbs of torque... Doesn't anyone have a problem with these numbers?

#40 ·
Has anyone actually done before and after dyno on any of these tunes?

Just not that big on the hype...

I mean, exactly 40hp, and exactly 80lbs of torque... Doesn't anyone have a problem with these numbers?
Agreed. It would be nice to have a stock F10 n55 with straight before and after. It is tricky to fully judge the tune based on this type of testing because the ECU and the tune need some time together to really achieve peak performance (vs pop in tune and dyno).

You may have seen these already Tony:

This is a great dyno where the Stage 1 is used, and it is a straight before and after:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540199

Another dude from UAE:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736053

same stuff, different forum: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16897

I agree, that I would love to see before and after dyno numbers going from Stage 1 to Stage 2. Regardless, this mod is going to be the most power for the dolla.

#41 ·
If I decide to do it, you definitely will.

#43 · (Edited)
I've had my S2 for a few hundred miles now and plenty of WOT sprints and so far zero check engine lights or issues. Car hauls ass from standstill to triple digits. The only time i feel like i want more power is when I am already on the highway traveling at a decent rate (60-80) of speed and you romp it. The difference is less dramatic then.

The only thing i could complain about is during part throttle cruising and you give it more throttle without flooring it you can sometimes feel the boost build up (more power) then go down (boost oscillating) ever so slightly. I can only feel this if the car is staying in the same gear and you give it a certain amount of throttle.

#44 ·
I don't have the S2 but have the S1. This thing is exceptionally good There is a "push you in the back of your seat sensation" in first gear and I surprised the heck out of a 2003-5 M3 today from a standing start. There is so much wonderful potential in this set-up. I can't imagine not trying at least the S1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.