BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

88 M3 Question

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kelso 
#1 ·
There is a 1988 M3 for sale in my local paper for 5 grand. Its got a 195,000 miles and the guy says the car runs great. I would like to buy it just to have around not to much as a daily commuter. Is it worth it?

#2 ·
Kicbax said:
There is a 1988 M3 for sale in my local paper for 5 grand. Its got a 195,000 miles and the guy says the car runs great. I would like to buy it just to have around not to much as a daily commuter. Is it worth it?
Is it worth it for what? Are you just going to park it in the garage? Do you think you'll be able to beat on a 195,000 mile M motor?

I guess if your looking to have broken Bimmers lined up in your driveway, I would say go for it.

#3 ·
Well its not quite as bad as Misterlance makes it out.

But you have to consider what you intend to do with the car. With that kind of mileage its likely to need many repairs to keep it on the road.

It could be a fun long term project car.

But dont have any fasle expectaitons that that this will be a low cost entry into hughe amounts of driving smiles.

#4 ·
LmtdSlip said:
Well its not quite as bad as Misterlance makes it out.

But you have to consider what you intend to do with the car. With that kind of mileage its likely to need many repairs to keep it on the road.

It could be a fun long term project car.

But dont have any fasle expectaitons that that this will be a low cost entry into hughe amounts of driving smiles.
Agreed..Depends on what you want to do with the car...I picked up all kinds of parts and even a hartge'd 2.8 from the classifieds from http://www.bmwe30.net that I used for my old 90' 325...
For just a fix 'r up 'r
or race car build
I'd negotiate the price a bit and probably get it...
But then again I also have had projects that just sat and collected dust...

#5 ·
Thanks For the thougts. I am gonna go look at the vehicle later on this afternoon. I don't really know to much about those model years, is there anything I should pay attention to or look for? What would be a reasonable price for the vehicle?

#6 ·
Bottom line: E30 M3s cost $15,000. Either you pay $15K for a nice one, or you buy a cheaper one and put the rest of the money into repairs to make it reasonable.

BTW this should be in the E30 M3 forum. :)

#7 ·
Kicbax said:
Thanks For the thougts. I am gonna go look at the vehicle later on this afternoon. I don't really know to much about those model years, is there anything I should pay attention to or look for? What would be a reasonable price for the vehicle?
Things to look for? Yikes, on a car with that many miles.. Wouldnt know where to start. Probably everything. Rust, maintenance records, what engine work has been done, etc. I would say if you planned to strip the car down and race it, it might be something to consider, but every day driver? not for me, all of those parts are $$. And chances are you need alot of work at that price.

#13 ·
i was looking online and found an 88 white m3 for 4 grand. ive done some minor research in the past and ive never seen one lower than 10 grand so i just dont get it? im gonna email this guy about the car but i just dont understand how cheap it is. theres a hole in the exhaust and one strut is blown. i am sure its probably too messed up and i will thoroughly check it out if i do go to see it but before i do that i wanna know what other costs ill be paying. about how much are you guys paying for insurance on these old school m3's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.