BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Battery Registration using DIS

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  nasserkarbassi 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to register a new battery using DIS? I have seen a lot of posts saying that it has been done - but I cannot find how to do it. I have DIS but just cannot figure it out. I would really appreciate any help.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Sorry I didn't answer your PM - been busy. It has been a while since I have used DIS (thankfully I haven't had a reason to :thumbup:)... I still have the laptop sitting in my garage with it installed but haven't touched it in a while :rofl:. Getting DIS working is quite involved requiring multiple steps to build out the VMWARE image and get the software on the host machine. DIS communicates over the network, so you need to setup the IP addresses appropriately and install a diagnostic head emulator that listens on the host machine. You also need INPA/EDIABAS installed on the host so that the daig head emulator can talk to your controller/interface. It's pretty involved and I don't have a step by step guide handy. Getting all the pieces together will take some effort (took me a couple days mainly just getting all the pieces, searching, and gathering info) - www.bmwecu.org used to have a FAQ on their site with step-by-step screenshots, but I can't seem to find it anymore. A quick search and I found this site that outlines the general steps but it leaves out a lot of it - it's a definite pain and not really worth it in my opinion unless you have a bunch of BMWs to fix :p and/or plan on doing some major module replacement (even then, if you want to reprogram the modules, DIS can't do that, you need another system called SSS which runs in a Windows environment): http://www.ow.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=13

I'd definitely recommend using INPA for the purpose of registering the battery.

#6 ·
Thanks TJ - and no problem on the PM. I do have DIS working, I also have the diag head - but I just can't work out how to register the battery. I also have SSS - but have not tried that yet. Maybe I will try that at the weekend.

Is there a place to download INPA? When you say interface - do you mean the VAG ODB-II cable?

Thanks again for your help.

#9 ·
In DIS you go to service functions, then something else (maybe chassis?), then you can find the section for battery stuff. I'll break open the laptop later and look.

#11 ·
I didn't find a place in INPA to change the battery rating, I'll look in DIS later and report back the proper path.

#13 · (Edited)
How much you have to do depends largely on what version you are running. Most of the v44 images have been boxed up pretty well and you won't have to do much, but there are a few things. Within DIS, check out the ediabas.ini settings, the network card settings, and stuff like that. Also, are you running the diaghead emulator? Have you made the proper modifications to ediabas.ini on the INPA side? There should be step by step instructions out there for setting up all this stuff, but those are some of the things you'll likely be poking around in. Assuming you're running DIS in a VM, make sure you have a virtual network set up in VMware using the proper .30 or .68 subnet (I can't recall off the top of my head which it is, but you'll find it in the steps).

#15 ·
OK guys, so I found the menu to register the battery - but still cannot figure out how to register it. I can't double click the 'Register Battery Replacement' and the arrow in the bottom right of the screen does not light up green. I can select the 'Register Battery Replacement' but I cannot do anything else from there. Any ideas? I can do a lot of other stuff like turn on lights, open windows through DIS - but just not battery registration.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.