BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

nobody can balance my 21 inch "128"

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ZedJes 
#1 ·
went to 2 diffrent tire shop. both balanced diffrently
still get a shake in my steering wheel at 45-70!!

should i bring it to bmw and have them balance it?

could it be somthing else?

#2 ·
Your tires could always have a flat spot. Be sure you get a gauge and check the tires all around. If they're good all around. The rims could be flawed (bent). If thats okay as well then go to BMW to balance. They should have no problem doing it for you.

#6 · (Edited)
I had, still have to deal with this issue. In my case, the BMW hub diameter is less then the hub diameter on the rims. We are looking at only a .030 total difference (.015 on a each side. Because the lug nuts have some play, the rims do not center with the lug nuts.
A company in Florida sells aluminum hub centric rings. These are not perfect but work reasonably well. As a test, I cut up an aluminum can, made four spacer pieces to fit between the wheel rim hub and the car hub. Then I put a second and third set of spacers on top of each other until there was no more space to fit any spacers. You have to install 4 each time to assure the wheel stays centered. These stay tight enough that they actually won't fall out. Good luck

#8 ·
Yo need to go to a garage with the special laser tire balancing equipments. I had the same issues with one rm slightly bent but with the laser balancng where they look at 2 dimensional balancing (not jst along the rms but also across the rimms where to lace the stickies). my tires are now prefect. In Toronto, Active Ross and Green has that machine.

#10 ·
Has any one had a slightly bent rim repaired?
there are many shops that can repair the wheels even if they have a crack in them. Google a wheel repair company in your area or call up your local dealer to see who they use. They usually charge b/w 50 and 150 a wheel to repair all the defects.

Wheel repairs usually work well, but sometimes if the person is inexperienced can lead to some issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.