BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Adaptive headlamps facing right side

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ArnoldG 
#1 ·
Hi folks; my 2008 335i has adaptive headlamps; when I turn the engine on, they move left & right (like self-adjusting) however, always end up facing right. Is there anyway to manually adjust them to face the middle until I get enough money to fix them ? :angel:

#2 ·
Both point to one side? Do you have an adaptive error on your dash? There is a horizontal adjustment screw, but it's used for minor adjustments.

If the projectors are facing all the way to one side, this indicates an issue with the motor controller or the frm module.

Do they still move with steering wheel input?

#3 ·
Both point to the same side (right). I do have a blinking green light on the lights switch (indicating a problem) and also an error message on the dash. They do not move at all with steering input. as a note; last week while driving at night they started to move from time to time when car were approaching but later stopped and do not move ever since (other than when starting the car).

#4 ·
Yea this is an issue with the modules I mentioned above. Most likely, one of the smc II modules on the bottom of the headlight are shorted due to water.

If you pull the faults from your frm, it will tell you which side is faulty.

You can buy used modules off eBay and code them for around $100. Not sure what the new price is but they need to be flashed with software first, then coded to the appropriate side of your vehicle.

In the mean time, to remove the error on the dash, you can have the AHL system disabled by coding it off. Change the VO and remove the option code, I believe $524 for adaptive lighting. Or you can go into frm and disable the 2 values. Not sure of the value off the top of head but if need them, I can look them up.

#5 ·
Disabling the AHL system will not return the headlights to the center...it will only remove the error on the dash. You will need to manually apply power to the stepper motors in the headlight for horizontal movement to center the projectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.