BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 X3 Hesitation Issue

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  legalfee 
#1 ·
I've read the transmission threads and don't see a symptom that exactly matches an issue I'm having. I have an '06 X3 - bought it new off the lot in August of '06 and have put 85,000 trouble-free miles on it. Love the car, but a new symptom has my enthusiasm wilting. When I drop down into passing gear (like you would merging onto the interstate), my car is hesitating right around 3,000 rpm. Seems like its only in one spot in the transmission. I have no idea what gear it's in when it does it but I'm usually going between 50-70 mph. Could a clutch be failing? Don't believe it's the engine (or valves sticking) and used detergent cleaner as part of the troubleshooting. Dealer is saying it's not throwing a fault code in the computer, and they can't do anything. Looking for suggestions to help the Dealer fix it and get it back to it's oustanding self.

#2 ·
needs a tune up maybe? nothing something that would throw a code out.

you say a clutch.. is it a stick or auto?I'm guessing auto because of "i don't know what gear it's in."

does it do it if you are in SD or manual mode?

have you tried the reset procedures for the auto trans?

#3 ·
+1 on the "tune up". I'll bet the plugs, fuel filter, etc. haven't been replaced in 85K miles either. I always thought that 100K was too long for plugs. I plan on doing mine at 75,000 miles. I would recommend taking it in to your trusted BMW specialty shop for a look see.

#4 ·
The BMW Dealer has had the car twice for this issue - they kept it for two days the last time. I'm an employee of a heavy equipment manufacturer - I know that a filter will show transmission trouble - so I asked if we could check the transmission fluid filter but they declined. I asked about changing the fuel filter, but they told me it had a filter that doesn't require changing. I had never heard of such a thing. They said they ran a fuel pressure test over night - but it's fine. This issue happens when I have it in Drive (not manual shift). I typically only use the manual shift in really lousy snowy weather to brake. It only happens in a very narrow band at about 3000 rpm. I called the Dealer and have made a final appointment for next Monday. If they can't figure out what's going on, I plan to take it to another BMW dealer. Sure seems like they are helpless unless the computer tells them what's wrong.

#6 ·
Could it simply be the torque converter locking up at speed during acceleration? Based on what you describe, your vehicle is in 4th gear at that point, and usually the AT locks up the torque converter as you accelerate from 50-70mph

#9 ·
I know these issues have been beat-to-death, but this thread got me searching and it helped! I was reading this thread last night and came across the "reset procedure for AT transmission." I had read about the 07 issues and how different those are compared to anything you should experience in an 06. I'm a new X3er (over two months) and from day-one noticed the AT holding a bit from gear 1 to 2. Road conditions made no difference...flat or inclined! And it was sporadic...sometimes holding and sometimes not. My wife's Volvo is so smooth you don't even know it shifts and I had driven a 325i MT for several years so I was thinking perhaps it was just me being critical. I did the reset this morning before leaving the garage and there was a very noticeable difference in shifting from 1-2-3. With gradual acceleration it would rev to 2400-2500 rpm before shifting and this morning it would shift b/ 2100-2200. A noticeable difference! We'll see if it continues.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195020

#12 ·
I had the same problem with my 2004 X3.

Hesitation occured when under hard acceleration between 2800-3000 rpm. Would not throw a code for a long time, but finally did so 7 months ago. The problem was with one of the pre-catalytic converter O2 sensors. It was replaced, the problem disappeared and the X3 has been smooth as silk ever since.

#13 ·
Hesitation occured when under hard acceleration between 2800-3000 rpm. Would not throw a code for a long time, but finally did so 7 months ago. The problem was with one of the pre-catalytic converter O2 sensors. It was replaced, the problem disappeared and the X3 has been smooth as silk ever since.
I have this EXACT issue on my 2008 X3... weird trans hesitation/pulse but only under heavy acceleration. Can you give me any more detail on the O2 sensor replacement?? Like cost and part number(s)??

Thanks!!

#16 ·
Same problem here with an 06 X3

My wifes '06 hesitates fairly bad when she steps on the accelerator to pass a car or get on the freeway, etc.......

We have taken the car to our dealership here in town and they can't seem to find the cause, then again the car is still under warranty since we bought a BMW extended warranty when we purchased the car. I am starting to think that they know what the problem is but don't want to fix it because it comes out of their pocket?!

Anyway, if any of you find a solution please let me know. And yes they also changed the O2 sensor and it did nothing.

We are getting very frustrated and very upset at BMW, so much so that we are thinking about never again buying a bimmer and going with a different brand. Besides the service at a lot of the Texas dealership has gone down tremendously!! :mad::thumbdwn:

#20 ·
It isn't that big of a deal, I would suggest not to start throwing money at it at this point. It could be several things, wait and see what pops up down the road.

I disagree about the VANOS, the vanos clear symptom is if when the temp is below 50 you start the car in the morning and let it sit for a few minutes to warm up, the rev's will drop until the car almost dies and then surge back up. Sometimes it will die and if you don't warm your vehicle up the car will sometimes die when you pull up to a stop sign or light. This symptom will quickly go away when the vehicle starts warming up. Yyou would also not get a good strong acceleration when getting on it, it was unsteady if that makes any sense.

If you have not done any preventive maintenance on the t-case or transmission I would have the fluid changed in both. Drop the trany pan and have a new filter install and clean it out. You can buy a transmission service kit if you are a DIYer. The t-case is a bit involved as you have to suck out the fluid and buy the liquid gold stuff from a dealer IF you can find one that will sell it to you. Best to have dealer just do it. And, don't listen to any dribble about using anything except BMW fluid for either of these to items.

#22 ·
I believe you are correct

Now that I think about it I believe you are right but I can't honestly remember.

#23 · (Edited)
I have changed both diff. & the transfer case within the last 20 k miles.
Have purchased the trany fluid but havn`t been able to get at it yet.It is only 86000 mi.,
and seems to be shifting good overall.The 02 sensors are expensive in Canada.Can anyone reccommend a US
supplier for NGK.
Also,where ara all the vacuum lines I should check for leakage????

#24 ·
Old thread i know but the 2 main solutions to this particular are

1: tyres - even if you are using star rates tyres....

- check tyre pressures are even (a flatish tyre wont necessarily show a warning)
- non star rated tyres will break your xdrive and probably cause this issue and more
- unevenly worn tyres will cause this (try swapping fronts to backs)
- check tyre wear... is tyre wear even across the tyres?
// basically, if the diameter of your tyres are different, your xdrive system will believe one or more of your wheels is slipping and therefore will try to redirect power to a different axel hence the jerking/pulsing/hesitation/juddering feeling

2. It might be your o2 sensors (pre cat)

- clean them using carb cleaner or leaving them in vinegar for a day
- replace them

Try the tyres first as these can be expensive

There may be other things going on with your car but these solutions are generally the ones that solve this particular problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.