BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

removing resonator only??

159K views 437 replies 80 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?

#194 ·
Clifton, good job on the installation. I also received mine today. When I alligned the parts on the floor, I noticed that the two mid-pipe are not identical. The right side (P/S mid-pipe) is bented more than the left side (D/S mid-pipe). The hangers are also not in the same position. Is my part defective? Please help. Thanks very much. kevin.

#195 ·
I think we have a similar problem, maybe not. When I got home yesterday I noticed that my exhaust has set and the D/S tip isn't sitting as pretty as the right side. So I got up under there and loosened the D/S and tried to mess with the clocking, but it didn't help. On top of that there is clearance issues with the D/S

I did notice how the x-pipe to straight pipe piece has one side bent further out-board. I plan on flipping the x pipe and trying to install it again. My P/S looks SO PERFECT and my driver side is clocked like WALL-E's eye:confused:... So this might not even help.

I'm already in contact with the sales agent. Not fed up with it yet... When I am its to the muffler shop to re-weld the tip on my dollar, or the manufacturer sending me a new system with paid return shipping... when pigs fly...

#196 ·
Clifton, I had the muffler shop installed it. The tips are symetrical. I think the mid-pipe are supposed to be bent a little differently, and one outlet of the x-pipe is purposely bent out a little.
Maybe adjusting or flipping the x-pipe will help you. I could not tell which side is up for the x-pipe during installation. There is no need to re-weld the tip. Good luck.

#200 ·
If you go thru this thread you will see a video of Euroowned that removed mufflers and straight piped and it is loud and raspy He changed back I believe cause it was too loud. But if that is what your looking for then go for it

#203 ·
Muffler delete should get you there

#205 ·
http://youtu.be/aixO-xY6CdI

You can't really tell how sweet that sounds form the video...
WDT - thank you for making me do that :) That is, by far, the best mod for the money. The car purrs like a kitten at idle or low RPM's, but every time you "gas it", oh man, it sounds like a cross between Formula 1 and Murcelago. Love it!!
To anyone contemplating this mod: just do yourself a favor and get it done!

#208 ·
You did it!!!! good work, how good does that $hit sound at high rpm? Not sure if you have paddle shirted in sport mode and DTC off one push....crazy. Glad you went for it. You will certainly enjoy the summer:thumbup:

#214 ·
Just thought I would share what a great exhaust sounds like.

My 02 Murcielago at track day here in Portland Oregon at PIR.

Cat delete, straight pipe into after market OC exhaust system. V12 605hp!

:thumbup:

#219 ·
headed for a resonator delete.. hope i like it i just want the stock sound to be alil louder when i get on it so im gonna do a x-pipe where the box is and see where that gets me. that f1 sound is killer but i dont think thats what the 650 should sound like..

#220 ·
Greg, you're replacing the resonator box with an x-pipe but leaving the other two resonators ahead of it on the pipes to go for just a little boost in the sound? I've been thinking about doing the same thing since I have a vert and only want a little extra sound... if you get a chance, it would be great if you could post a couple before and after clips. Thanks.

#221 ·
Hey guys I would seriously not do that. The sound is barely noticable when you remove all resonators and place the xpipe up front to keep back pressure or you could get droning. My car sounds stock until I get on it and is not even loud or obnoxious. I also have magnaflow mufflers so stock mufflers will be even more tame. Plus you get rid of more weight on that pig of a car removing them all

#222 ·
WDT i like the f1 sound but I just want the stock grumble more audible and completely quiet when im cruising.. Im gonna take videos when im doing it. There is a holiday weekend coming up so im going to try to get in the shop wednesday if not itll be next week but def before and after videos. I know how important they are to future festers. ilive4coupes is going to take the plunge with me. Hes going for a different setup so we can compare.

#224 ·
im assuming the only difference is the brand name.

#225 ·
Took the front 2cans off and str8 piped it it sounds really good
I might swap mufflers. Videos soon as I can upload them

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer

#226 ·
Same setup as mines sounds so beastly on WOT and mute on cruise.. We went to the shop like 4 cars deep so they were still cutting pipes in the background try and ignore the grinding sound it was the best i could get. Ill try to get mine when i get home later

http://youtu.be/yPE1EkMX7k0

#227 ·
Wow, that is surprisingly loud for just removing the front two resonators. That sounds perfect to me. Can you have someone video you doing a launch from standstill? I'd love to hear your car under load.

How did you get into the car with it up on the hoist to take the video? :)

#228 ·
yea thats before they put the straight pipe where the front resonators use to be thats my car ton the lift believe it or not there was actually steps on the side of the lift where the mechanic was able to climb n hoist himself up lol

#230 ·
Last couple of days the weather, here in Dallas, has finally allowed us to take the top down.. Goddamn it's sounds good! Way better than it did before, before I had my resonators delete.

#232 ·
Are you thinking of going any louder?

#233 ·
No, not louder at all. I don't want it to sound like a rice-burner (no offence to Asians). I like it the way it is now. I can make it pretty loud if I put it in the sport mode and shift manually as well. For example: depress "Sport", shift to "DS", then to the first gear and let the computer shift up. Result: deep growl up 'till 20-30 MPH, blip. more growl, etc.
For all of you that are requesting "before and after videos" - just do the "resonators delete" and I promise you won't regret it. After all it would only cost you $150 (with the x-pipe) to install and maybe $50 to go back to "stock". Videos can't really transfer that special sound that comes out of your pipes. Especially from inside of the car, with the top down. It shouldn't matter what the bystanders hear/think.
@ MisterM007: I got 'em done at this muffler shop on Harry Hines BLVD and Webb Chapel Extension (be sure it's an "Extension" not just Webb Chapel). You have to drive up there and ask them to order you an x-pipe, few days later go do it (takes 30mins.) I think I've paid $130 cash. I can't find their phone number, but if I will, I'll PM you. Good luck!
PS: Let's meet up for beers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.