BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

confused on front struts!

892 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AAframe 
#1 ·
I have a 95 BMW 540i 6 speed and I'm in desperate need of new front struts! Can some one please show me what they look like or show me the ones I need I had someone look at it and said I bought the wrong struts. Does a cap twist off and you drop them in I'm just confused! Any help will be helpfull! Thanks

#3 ·
All the e34 front strut housings are relatively the same. It's the threaded end of the shafts that are different per year.
Yes that cap on top of the strut housing does screw off but sometimes due to climate need a bit more elbow grease to get them off.

As far as what type of strut insert (the strut itself) There are many to choose from.
However this is a complicated topic for there are various favorites. Here are a few:

Bilstein Sport
Bilstein HD
Koni
Boge/sach super tourings
KYB
OEM (mostly Boge/sach but IIRC they can be different)

Bilsteins: Possible the most well known and used. Can be harsh up front but iirc the sports are adjustable

Koni: the cheaper alternative to Bilsteins and are Adjustable. So you can determine the ride quality like bilsteins without the harshness.

Boge/Sach Super tourings: These are similar to Bilstein HDs but cost less. I had these not bad even when matched with sport springs.

KYB: Honestly I don't know much about them but a few people have them without complaint. They are cheaper then those above.

OEM: If bought from a dealer they possibly can be the most expensive. Doesn't mean they are the best of the best. Just oem equipment. As mentioned, some e34 models were equipped with Boge/Sach struts so see the above mention but add the dealer charge to them.

All this said, and not trying to be rude. Get a bentley manual. It will help you remove and install the struts as well as other maintenance issues.

Good luck:thumbup:

#4 ·
#5 ·
You Guys are a lot of helpthe ones that I bought first was by Monroe but the man said it didn't have the shock houseing or something so he said it was the wrong one so now I got one that's really thick that has that but still think it's the wrong one lol http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobi...a-Shock-Strut-Front/_/N-j1r6xZ8oxxw?id=602072 this is the one I have rite now but its made by Monroe and this is Tue one I took back!http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobi...G-Shock-Strut-Front/_/N-j1r6xZ8oxxw?id=736017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.