BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Satellite radio question.

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dman 
#1 ·
On the bmwusa website, they list satellite radio ($595) vs. satellite radio prep (pre-wiring, $75). Why would I order pre-wiring and not the actual oem satellite radio? Does that mean I can later add the oem radio if I decide to get it if I got only the satellite radio prep?

#2 ·
yes, that is exactly what it is. Gives you the choice, otherwise even if you want it you are going to have a hard/expensive time retrofitting. I think the prep should be standard like mostly every manufacturer these days.... BMW charges for anything they can.
I am not sure but I believe if you get the sat radio you still need the prep so it is 595+75... someone correct me if I am wrong but the brochure has an asterisk for Sirius and states that satellite prep is required for Sirius satellite radio. Good luck! :thumbup:

#4 ·
Correct, and worth it!

#5 ·
It is definitely worth it because most models you can't install it without the prep. And if you think about it why wouldn't they charge for it in the USA. The satelites are only over America so it would be costly to install it in every vehicle sold in the world for no reason.

And by the way you retain the same radio you have now, the install includes a decoder box which installs in the trunk.

#6 ·
mapezzul said:
yes, that is exactly what it is. Gives you the choice, otherwise even if you want it you are going to have a hard/expensive time retrofitting. I think the prep should be standard like mostly every manufacturer these days.... BMW charges for anything they can.
I am not sure but I believe if you get the sat radio you still need the prep so it is 595+75... someone correct me if I am wrong but the brochure has an asterisk for Sirius and states that satellite prep is required for Sirius satellite radio. Good luck! :thumbup:
Not true, I have SAT radio and I only paid 595.

If you build one on bmwusa.com, when you click SIRIUS radio, it will say that prep is included.

#7 ·
I got the satellite prep but not the OEM Sirius radio. To answer your question as to why: Sirius has Howard Stern. XM has Jonathan Schwartz and Yankees games. For me it's a no-brainer.

I figure that if and when XM makes a compatible set, I'll just buy it and hook it right up. Probably for less than the OEM Sirius set to boot.

#8 ·
timoth31 said:
I got the satellite prep but not the OEM Sirius radio. To answer your question as to why: Sirius has Howard Stern. XM has Jonathan Schwartz and Yankees games. For me it's a no-brainer.

I figure that if and when XM makes a compatible set, I'll just buy it and hook it right up. Probably for less than the OEM Sirius set to boot.
Good thinking but not going to happen.... BMW has a contract with Sirius only, and for a company to make a setup to worl with the fiber optic bus is going to be real difficult, blitzsafe has not even been able to do it and has no plans to currently. The BMW system is so proprietary in nature it seems it is going to stay that way. There are several posts on this around here. You would also need a different antenae so the factory hook up will not work for this, and would not be as integrated. I thought it would be possible to use the cd-changer hookup and lose the text feature as Blitzsafe has accomplished with other systems but that is not possible because the changer wiring is also throught the fiber bus. I wish you the best of luck but be prepared to do some waiting. :thumbup: I also think that the sirius programming is better than XM minus the MLB, XM is owned by Clear Channel and is very commercialized IMHO. Sooner or later MLB with change over to Sirius as well, They have every other major sport now, college and even soccer and soon to have nascar.

#9 ·
mapezzul said:
Good thinking but not going to happen.... BMW has a contract with Sirius only, and for a company to make a setup to worl with the fiber optic bus is going to be real difficult, blitzsafe has not even been able to do it and has no plans to currently. The BMW system is so proprietary in nature it seems it is going to stay that way. There are several posts on this around here. You would also need a different antenae so the factory hook up will not work for this, and would not be as integrated. I thought it would be possible to use the cd-changer hookup and lose the text feature as Blitzsafe has accomplished with other systems but that is not possible because the changer wiring is also throught the fiber bus. I wish you the best of luck but be prepared to do some waiting. :thumbup: I also think that the sirius programming is better than XM minus the MLB, XM is owned by Clear Channel and is very commercialized IMHO. Sooner or later MLB with change over to Sirius as well, They have every other major sport now, college and even soccer and soon to have nascar.
Well, if that happens, nothing would stop me from bringing the car in to the dealer and buying a Sirius set - so I guess my downside is limited. I don't know how commercialized the other XM channels are, but Schwartz doesn't sound over-commercialized on WNYC and my understanding is that XM carries the very same show. If Sirius fires Stern and hires Schwartz I'll be happy to sign up.

To hedge my bets, I bought an MP3 player anyway.

#10 ·
timoth31 said:
Well, if that happens, nothing would stop me from bringing the car in to the dealer and buying a Sirius set - so I guess my downside is limited. I don't know how commercialized the other XM channels are, but Schwartz doesn't sound over-commercialized on WNYC and my understanding is that XM carries the very same show. If Sirius fires Stern and hires Schwartz I'll be happy to sign up.

To hedge my bets, I bought an MP3 player anyway.
Gotcha... best of luck. The talk is not as commercialized as the music programming, dj and such. I have never listened to Schwartz so I can not comment, I live in that stations area too..... I usually just listen to ESPN radio here in NY and that keeps me pretty happy most of the time for talk when I am not in the mood for music. Good luck and you can't go wrong with an MP3 player!

#12 ·
This has been available previously for cars without nav and or fiber optic bus. for 2002-2005 cars. If they updated it great, but I am not sure on that one. And from doing a basic :google: I confirmed my hunch, it is not for the E90 2006. There is no available adapter for it currently. The BMW XM-Direct kit utilizes the blitzsafe adapter which is not compatible with the E90 or any other fiber bus bimmers.

"I am not certain when we will offer anything for the new 3 series. Being that BMW is our best selling interface, of course we will support the new 3 series. I have not been given a release date or any further information."

Good luck! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.