BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

328i ECU software tuning finally available!!

32K views 56 replies 11 participants last post by  itwinturbo 
#1 · (Edited)
Title changed: I did not get the 328i ECU update...

NOTICE!!!

This thread was started as I was about to get the ECU software update from Powerchip.

In short, I did not get the software. However, others are still trying their best to get one soon. If you'd like to know about what happened to me, please read the following.
I'd like to make sure I don't mislead anyone to believing that I have something done, since I have nothing to show you but a few words of apology.

Thank you

-Seung

I have been waiting for this for very long time ever since I got my car.

Powerchip finally has a ECU tuning software for our models!!!

I am going there on Monday to get the software installed and tuned. I will dyno the before and after to show the improvement.

I had powerchip's software on my previous E39 540i and I think it was money well spent. Very good throttle response, good mid torque increase, and just overall the car felt alive.

I am hoping the new software for my 328i will do the same.

Travis is the man who takes care of everything. I really trust his service, and everyone there is super friendly and knowledgeable. I think this is a great update for our NA engine. All tunings are for x35i engines, and I have always felt that our 328i engines were somewhat forgotten and mistreated.

So, stay tuned (pun intended, hehe) for my updates. Hopefully on Monday night, I will be able to post the result.

Go Powerchip!!! :) You guys are doing the right thing.

See less See more
#3 ·
Please see thread "All You Lowly 328i Drivers". I've talked to Travis and a gent called Matt. Obviously your car is the one they referred to as "coming in next week". Unfortunately I'm in NC and will have to do the download myself which both Matt and Travis say is easy. Matt just told me yesterday they will tune the download to your particular car, modifications like exhaust, intake and fuel grade burned. Both said increases vary but stand by 22-26 HP and about the same torque increase at the rear wheels. For the money that is a nice gain. Holding my breath to see your before and after numbers. Also, please kinda watch them, if you would, and give your opinion on a non tech doing the install.
Thanks much.

#4 ·
Yeah, I will definitely keep you guys posted. It's only Thursday... man, gotta wait a few more days... it will be a fun Monday for sure :)

#5 ·
Well, long story short, I did not get the software. :cry:

I went to the dyno shop as I was told, today morning at 9 AM. It took me 2 hrs to get there from my place, and I was anxiously waiting for Powerchip guys to show up.
They did not show up, and at 9:30, I called the office, and I was told Jeremy, who was going to tune the car, was out sick for that day, and asked if I could reschedule for next appointment.

I was very disappointed, by the fact that I had to call to find out that they would not show up, already 30 minutes past the scheduled time.:thumbdwn:

I got up 5:30 in the morning to get there on time, expecting everything will go smoothly. Well, it didn't. :cry:

Very disappointed and a bit disturbed, I asked for full refund, since I already paid for the service.

As much as I love the powerchip people, from time to time, they can be a bit non-professional when it comes to time promised compared to time actually taken and met.

This is my third time stopping by Huntington Beach/Costa Mesa area within last 2 months. I was told that I'd be taken care of right away, and it shouldn't take more than 1 hrs to do the job, but I had to go back after long 1-2 hr drive there only to find out they either didn't have the equipment ready or that they thought it'd work but it didn't.

They are super friendly and knowledgeable, and if everything goes well, I strongly recommend their service to others. However, from my past few experiences, I am starting to lose my faith in them little by little. I hope they will do better next time, and you guys can hopefully get the services you want with great satisfaction.

I am sorry guys that I didn't bring any results back. I am very tired from the early wake-up, long drive (more than 3 hrs this morning total), and the big disappointment I got. :(

Hopefully Dinan can get something quickly so I don't have to drive down to Costa Mesa when things are ready. It's just too much of a drive for me to do it often.

once agian, my apologies to you all for making you wait for the results, and for not bringing any results back. :(

#8 ·
It would be nice to get the 3.0L *28 engine to the *30 engine level.

I wonder how the tuning will affect engine reliability?

#9 · (Edited)
I am really sorry for letting you all down.
I didn't mean to 'flake out' by any means. I just don't think I can keep the process of the uncertainty because of the work schedule. It's a very long drive from here to powerchip's office in Costa Mesa.

Hopefully when they have everything done and ready so I can stop by, get it done in a given time they promise, I will try it again.

Once again... my apologies to you all... I really mean it.

#10 ·
Don't apologize to us! I think you did well to leave it. They've got to learn to treat folks better... especiallly when somebody makes a 4 hour round trip to get work done there. Bummer for you. We can deal.

I do hope somebody will give this a try one of these days. I'd love to see the curves. (No, TMQ. No, I'm not referring to the curves seen in your signature... although come to think of it...)

#11 · (Edited)
I distinct fully remember Travis saying how "pumped" the entire organization at Powerchip was and how eager they were to get their hands on your car. Obviously that was B.S. Perhaps I'll try the below folks. It does require pulling the ECU and sending it to the UK, kinda scary(?). They claim 14 HP and 14.7 ft./lb. increase. Relax, not your mistake. People want to make money but if they don't want to work it's not good. A simple phone call to you would have changed the entire picture.

http://www.paramount-performance.com/acatalog/index.html

#12 · (Edited)
I kinda don't want to blame Powerchip for everything though. They asked me if I'd reschedule for another time and they'd pay for the Dyno. It was very nice of them to say so, but I refused it.

I am sure Jeremy was really sick for today, so I don't want to blame him for being sick. It's something you can't control, so I am ok with that.

I just think it was not the right time for me to get it. Things happen in people's lives, and I am sure powerchip has its own reason why things didn't work out the way expected.

BTW, Skywagon, yeah, it's a scary thought to send out the ECU to UK. I don't know how safely it will be shipped out and come back here.... Personally, I'd go to a shop in person and get the job done there, so I know I can drive my car right away.

Ok, enough BimmerFest forum for today... gotta get back to work.

#13 ·
Seu,
You mentioned Dinan. Have you talked to them at all and if so are they doing anything for 328i's? Sending the ECU to a town near London seems rather far away but in actuality it's not. It takes about a day to get stuff there and a day back. I'm going to think about it and perhaps it's time to pick up the phone and talk to them. E-mails leave something to be desired. They claim they need the ECU for one day. I'd wager the whole evolution could take 4-6 days total. That,s down time on ones car. Regardless, it might be interesting to hear what Powerchip has to say when I call them.

#14 ·
Yeah, if you would like to try Powerchip, I am all for it.

They are good people, so please don't let my experience ruin your chance to work with them.

I'd like to send email to Dinan too and see if they have anything for our cars. I think it's about time they had something, isn't it?

Once Travis and Jeremy have the full product for 328i, I will definitely give them a try again too.

#15 ·
just called Dinan, and I am told it's still under development with no set release date. I gues BMW is making NA engine tuning harder and harder as the engine models change.

#17 ·
Also spoke to Dinan today. Same story, no release date but under development. I think I'll call Powerchip and see what they say about their lack of performance after touting being "pumped" for seungykim. $690. is a lot of money for a product that hasn't been dynoed yet.

#18 ·
I'd say something smells fishy just reading this thread. It's claimed they can't wait to work on your car, but then don't even bother to let you know that they're not going to show up.

I know Powerchip does tuning for a variety of manufacturers so I wish you luck in getting it done. It sounds like a nice increase if it can really deliver what they claim as far as torque increase.

#20 ·
thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words.

I'd like to, however, close this thread, since the thread title is very misleading, and I don't want to "phish" other readers into this thread when there's no known results from me.

Does anyone know either how to close thread or change the title of it?

#22 ·
Don't worry about it. Even if it did not go well (not your fault), it is still good info for folks looking for this type of mod. Perhaps just put a large red text summary of the outcome at the beginning of your first post.

FM

#23 ·
Skywagon

Yes, please lemme know if things will go well for you. Once I know exactly how things will go with amount of time expected to finish everything, I will try it again as well. So far, I haven't heard from Powerchip yet. I didn't call them yet either since I felt bad asking questions to them after I asked for full refund. :(

I will change the first thread to give a quick summary of what happened.

#24 ·
Just got off the phone with Matt. All he said was "yeah, that kind of fell apart". Regardless, I might place an order soon. They have changed their procedure to pulling the ECU and shipping it to them. Car will be down 3-4 days and I will not be doing it until the week of Apr. 6-10. Matt says 15-23 HP increase.

#26 · (Edited)
Skywagon

That's a good news you will get a discount. I hope everything goes well. Please give us your thoughts of the improvement after you get it.

Also, since your car is the first guinea pig, ask them to run dyno and give you concrete result. I think as a first customer, u deserve to get that type of treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.