BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

To all those F10 owners who own it from last one year

4K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  yogi799 
#1 · (Edited)
Most of folks here own a F10 from almost a year...
So after owning it from some time did you guys ever thought like
"I should have bought that color" or "I should have added that package" or "I uncessarily wasted money on this option"

your thought will greatly help the future owners :thumbup:
certain things seems enticing at the begining but over the time you will see the real potentail....So your thoughts now about your choice will really count.

Here is the list of things till now:

1) HUD-Very Covinient
2)Top View cameras- Highly suggested
3) Nappa leather-Value for the money
4) 2TB - Highly suggested
5) M Package-Most non M owners wanted it.

#3 ·
Everyone wants to get all the packages, it depends on you to decide what you need, like i have sport pack on mine which i have never used on the track or on regular road to shift the suspension to sport or sport+. If you can really afford get Msport pack because the price difference between sport pack and Msport is very less for MY2012

#4 ·
Agree at the begiing we always want to get all the packages,
but over the time you might get bored of one color and might be thinking i should have got the oher color or you might like one package and you might think the one is not that important....

anyways from my understanding around this forum, most of the owners insist/suggest for top view cameras.

So i am gonna chalk it on the board.

1) Top View cameras- highly suggested.

Keep it comming guys.

#5 ·
As you cab see i have Alpine White and absolutely love it, vey easy to maintain and looks very classy and you can appreciate the bold lines more compared to dark colors. Any ways my favorite colors
1.Alpine White--------Dah!!!!!!!!!!!
2.Space Gray
3.Black Sapphire.

I wouldn't have bought 535I if these colors were not there

#12 ·
Well you can be sure about 100% that white will always be a choice, so you have no danger of not getting an F10 ;). I've had 3 Black Sapphires so far.

#7 ·
I'm surprised how much I like the Side and Top View Cameras, as has been stated. They are very useful.

I'd also add the HUD, very nice to have, especially when the navigation is guiding the way.

#10 ·
Driver Assistance Package - Kind of useful, but if I was ordering a car I would not get this. (bought a fully loaded model off the lot, had no choice)
My only regret is not being able to get Nappa Leather. I think it's worth $1000 considering how much you touch the seats.

#14 ·
Agree with both of these.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

#13 ·
I also wish I had the top view camera and bmw apps. I have the M-Sport package but dont care much for it since there is no performance boost, but I do like the way it looks and I have not seen another 528 with M-Sport so its kinda rare.

#15 ·
Agreed on multiple camera thingamagig.

You should press them to include a Dinan upgrade as part of the purchase. Or at least a significant discount on one. Soooo worth it.

I wish I upgraded my rims too. I've got stock suckers on my 550 and I should have gotten something cooler.

#16 ·
I would do things differently....I bought a CPO car so I had no choice. I would:

Add M Sport
Add 2TB
Add HUD (only really to get extended black panel, would not have ordered old HUD).

Probably add xDrive

Delete Driver Assistance
Delete convenience (would keep comfort access).

If given a 2012, I probably wouldn't order ARS (pending test drive).

Would also change color to Space Gray

#18 ·
Just hitting the 1 year mark turning 10,000 miles.

Pretty happy with the car as optioned. Love the M-Sport look and that might be my only "wish I had gotten that".

#19 ·
Not quite a year yet, but the top view camera is a real winner. I've got to say I can't see the point of the sport automatic. With 8 speeds, shifting for oneself seems onerous, and I got the adaptive handling package.

I test drove a Buick with a HUD and hated it. Maybe if I'd seen the BMW version I'd be more impressed.

I still love my imperial blue color.

#20 ·
I bought HUD because I thought it would be cool though probably useless. In the end, I absolutely love it, and would absolutely get it again.

The top view cameras are great. Again, much more useful than I expected.

I've found I like the adaptive cruise control more than I expected on long drives. It works very well, but doesn't get used too often.

I have the side view camers, but don't find them useful. I'm sure it depends on how often you pull out into traffic with cars blocking your view. I've only wanted to use it a couple times in the past year, and quite honestly, I am not used to the perspective it gives.

I did not buy the active/ventilated seats. There aren't that many hot days where I live (SF Bay Area), but have thought about whether they would be nice to have when doing long drives. In fact, we just placed an order for an X5 for my wife, and we decided to get them this time. That will become our long-haul car anyways.

I don't have the 19" wheels, and based on all of the bubble issues reported on this forum, I'm really glad I don't.

#22 ·
I'm still in my first month of ownership.

Despite having a strong opinion to the contrary initially, I have to admit that M-Sport has slowly grown on me, in indiscernable increments, after several moons of evaluation and one of actual ownership. I might consider it more seriously if I was buying today.

I have no complaints about Dakota leather (in fact, it feels great) but for a mere $1k extra, I would probably also add Nappa. Night vision and Rear entertainment are both still pointless to me.

I love titanium silver. Classic and tasteful. Though rather than Deep Sea Blue being my second choice, if I got another F10, I must admit that I'd put Jet Black high on the list. Black 5's: also classic, also tasteful.

#23 ·
I'm generally happy with my option choices. But I would have probably went with Nappa, top view, and 4 zone. Active ventilated hasn't been too useful for me so far, but I will probably appreciate it a lot more in the summer. I love HUD with the extended panel.

#24 ·
1. Cameras: I absolutely recommend the rear-view camera, as it helps to reveal items otherwise hidden beneath the rear window's line-of-sight; and the graphical tracking is useful when backing-up in driveways, parking lots, etc. I cannot speak to the side or top view cameras, as I do not have them; I would trust other's comments on them in this forum. When I placed my 'order request' to purchase my F10, last December, my SA mentioned that it is important to keep the cameras and sensors clean, and free of all debris like dirt and leaves, etc., which can impair their functioning; and not to trust too 'blindly' in them. Exercise good driving judgment when using these features and maneuvering your vehicle.

2. Comfort Access: I have about a 50/50 chance of success with this feature, and I know that I must look amusing to others, at times, if they spot me on the street waving my hands and carressing door handles to get inside my car. :eek: Sometimes when the doors unlock, they will 'relock' before I can pull the handle. Maybe I'm double touching the handle or, perhaps, the sensors are too sensitive--I'm not sure. :confused: I end-up pulling-out my fob (the key fob!) anyway. It seems the comfort access (or lack of it) is exacerbated in parking lots. I also have to remind myself (or be reminded) to leave my fob inside the car by parking attendants, which can be a PIA if I put it in a suit/jacket pocket that I hung in the back seat. The auto trunk release/closure button, however, makes-up for most of these 'deficits.'

3. Multi-contour/ventillated Seats: This is nice to have on long road trips and commutes.

4. I definitely recommend NAV for guidance and traffic updates/re-routing, as well as upgrading your info-tainment system. I'm surprised at how much I like the ipod adapter, and use it, simultaneously, with my BlackBerry via bluetooth connection. I've also managed to set-up my BlackBerry for BMW 'Office.' Having the nav system "read" (voice) my email is a 'RUSH' and VERY convenient! :thumbup:

#26 ·
HUD is awesome. This is my third 5er with it. I have Dark Graphite and I wish that I would gotten something else , The color is like a dull or dirty black.

#27 ·
I'v had mine for 16 months now, 30 000 kilometer and the first service next week! I regret that I ordered it with the night vision camera! I never use it! And it cost 4000,- USD! Wish I'd got the surround view instead....

I like the black/alu interior and the blackSafire metallic paint

Attachments

#28 ·
Have the black sapphire, and love it, but will seriously consider jet black next time - prefer jet black in direct light. Have dakota leather, and it's great. Have dynamic handling, and is nice to have, but not have to have. Have the cold weather package and enjoy it. Have PP2, and like all but rear shades - never use them. Premium hi-fi does not inspire. Have sport package and love it - but RFTs have been a pain. Have comfort access and love it. Have 4-zone climate control and kids love it. Have the anthracite headliner and goes great with black! 15,000 miles on my F10 and love it!

#31 ·
I have the ventilated seats and live in a VERY hot area. They're ok, not great. If your car has been baking in the sun for hours, when you turn them on the seats actually heat up as the pull hot air into them. It's best to set the AC to have some cold air sent to the floor and wait a few minutes. Then they're great.

The active part of the seat initially seemed worse than useless. It's like someone punching your rear at random times and places... quite irritating. But on long drives when I get sleepy, they really help keep me awake!

Would I buy the ventilated seats again? I'm not sure yet. It often gets to 110 or hotter here, but this summer was much cooler than usual, so I'm waiting for next summer to re-evaluate.

#33 ·
When I found the price I had being offered took a huge drop before I placed the order, I did consider to go for the 550i, but gas mileage was the show stopper as my driving 95% of the time is local. When my car was being built, the price went down again. I talked to my CA and he is willing to let me cancel the order and update to 550i. I end up took the latest price as I do not want to wait for another 2 month ( old car dead also ). If I knew 535i has the lag issue( does not have it when I did test drive, twice ), I would have made my mind back then to re-book my order to 550i...it will be with the stage 2 by now..:thumbup:

#36 · (Edited)
To CCGP: I sincerely hope you find as much enjoyment in your 535i, as I have found in my 535ix. This is an awesome vehicle that will 'more' than meet your needs, and provide you with bona fide BMW "joy." Good luck! :thumbup:

#37 ·
I don't regret not getting the M-sport package. I'm pretty happy with my ride as-is, but it's almost fully loaded.
For the sake of feedback, in hindsight I would probably have picked Imperial Blue over Dark Graphite II but it's a mild preference. And I should have ordered comfort access.
I haven't used BMW apps yet because I can't be bothered to plug in my iPhone to enable the features.

#39 ·
NAVIGATION and more so the LARGE SCREEN that came with it. I've seen a photo of the small non-nav screen and it looked weird... a bit out of place, silly. Maybe 'cheap' is the word.

The large screen is awesome, fits the designed space well. I happen to drive a lot in unknown areas so navigation is perfect for me, but I understand others could care less... Still, the SIZE of the screen is what I am happy with (and to think I would have never gotten that option had I not been forced into the Nav upgrade due to Japanese parts shortage... whatta luck!). The showroom model had a nav screen and I would have been hugely disappointed to receive a small screen upon delivery.

COMFORT ACCESS is awesome. I never take the key out of my pocket. This feature rocks! Just a bit slow locking the doors when you exit the car. Otherwise, I don't share the skepticism of others who are having a hard time with it. It didn't work on me once, right after car wash...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.