BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

tail light covers?

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Orient330iNYC 
#1 ·
Do they make anything like it? Or do I need to replace the whole tail light to get a tinted look?

Thanks

#2 ·
You can go either way, the BlackLines (LINK) from BMW are great looking tails but if you're not looking to spend that much I have some great options from Lamin-X. There are three different levels of tinting:

Charcoal (30%) LINK
Smoke (17%) LINK
Gun Smoke (12%) LINK

Charcoal is the most popular option out of the 3, once applied the tail lights are rather dark but still allows the lights to show.

#4 ·
You'll have to double check the law in your area. Most states simply state (very loose interpretation) the rear brake lights have to be visible during the day and night, and the running lights must be visible during the night. The Charcoal Lamin-X still allows light to shine per those "rules".

#5 ·
Why would you want to compromise one of the most important safety devices on your car, the brake lights, which are designed to warn someone driving behind you that you are braking and/or stopped! Do you really think that it's worth doing this just because you think they look cool? Are you ever going to see them in operation? NO!

I've driven behind idiots who have these and find that the amount of light suppression is far too much for this to be a considered as a safe and viable mod for a car. I change lanes if this happens, I'm not going to be responsible for rear-ending some idiot who thinks his car looks cooler this way. Save your money!

With all due respect to ECSTuning, and I've ordered hundred of dollars worth of parts from them, but I think that selling tinted covers for brake lights is irresponsible!

#11 ·
I've driven behind idiots who have these and find that the amount of light suppression is far too much for this to be a considered as a safe and viable mod for a car. I change lanes if this happens, I'm not going to be responsible for rear-ending some idiot who thinks his car looks cooler this way.
actually, all you would need to say is that i couldnt see his brake lights, they are tinted. you'll be off the hook. same as if you rear ended someone with non functioning brake lights. in the eyes of insurance and the police, they have defective equipment in both cases, and should be written up as being at fault.

#6 ·
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But to call someone an idiot for wanting to do something legal is a bit harsh. You can still see when brakes are pressed and when lights are on so I don't see what the big deal is. I still plan on buying them despite you argument so please just continue to change lanes.

#7 ·
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But to call someone an idiot for wanting to do something legal is a bit harsh.
Not really...a great many idiotic behaviors and actions are entirely legal. ;)

#9 · (Edited)
federal DOT regs state that lights cannot be altered. whether this is enforced is questionable. but once you do it you open up the door to a host of issues. technically, tinting your required lights (headlights, tails lights, etc) puts them out of spec, and makes them illegal in any state.

your insurance company will now have grounds to deny claims. also, anyone rearending you will now have a free pass as they can now claim they cannot see your tail lights.

i would just get blackline tail lights. legal as they are DOT approved.

#10 ·
federal DOT regs state that lights cannot be altered.

your insurance company will now have grounds to deny claims. also, anyone rearending you will now have a free pass as they can now claim they cannot see your tail lights.
Thank you for that response. I did question their legality as I could see too dark being a possible issue.

On another note does anybody have any experiences with smoke tail lights and maybe where I could possibly get a set for less than an outrageous amount :dunno:

#12 · (Edited)
Thank you for that response. I did question their legality as I could see too dark being a possible issue.

On another note does anybody have any experiences with smoke tail lights and maybe where I could possibly get a set for less than an outrageous amount :dunno:
define outrageous?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-BM...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe4bb4f7&vxp=mtr

305 shipped for OEM bmw blacklines. you'll never have to worry about errors or even any issues at the dealer as they are OEM.

edit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-Bla...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccb49c6ab&vxp=mtr
300 shipped.

#15 ·
if they arent DOT approved, they are technically illegal. i know cops in NYC will use them as an excuse to stop. you may or may not have a problem.

i personally would just stick to OEM ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.