BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Has anyone ever installed the Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kkratochvil 
#1 ·
I did a search and did not find specific info on installing an Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70. Has anyone attempted it?

Thanks much.

#2 ·
Do you have the USB port in the armrest? If so you pay to program the car and get the BMW cable. If not I know his has been done before. I would do a search

#3 ·
I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.

#5 ·
I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.
Yes. I had it installed in my 2010 E70 (35d). I bought it used and didn't understand how the various options worked until I started trying to figure-out how I was going to hook up and discovered the original owner decided to save the $70 at the time and didn't get the 6FL option. In which case, Y-cable is useless.

I ordered this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryType=Accessories&ProductId=796. I had it installed at my BMW dealer. So, I don't know much about the install. It does require some programming, so it's not a DIY unless you're able to do the programming or want to find one of the guys in the Fest to do it. (I'm sure one of them could, probably remotely!

I didn't have a CD Changer and this makes the iPod take the place of it. It falls way short of the Bluetooth integration and BMW Apps with the newer systems, but I'm pretty happy with it. :thumbup: It makes driving the iPod interface on my iPhone fairly handy. There's a few quirks to it, but not bad.

Biggest difference that might matter between my setup and what you're thinking is my E70 has the newer CIC iDrive, rather than the older CCC (I think that's it...). I don't know what sort of difference that might make.

The only other thing I'd mention off the top of my head is that the BMW install puts the cable in your glove box. I've thought about pulling the cable out and routing it up to the console and buying one of the nice custom mounts from KUDA, but I haven't done that as yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.