BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stone chips

46K views 113 replies 47 participants last post by  PAX5 
#1 ·
I have a new X5 with the M package. I only had my X5 for 1 month now. Does anyone suffer stone chips on the rocker panel and the rear wheel side skirts? BMW doesn't want to support this through warranty???

#76 ·
The X5 M-Sport or X5 M needs to be filmed up with ventureshield or equivalent before being driven, when I picked up my X5 M last October I had to drive it 40 miles to the film shop but it still got 1 chunk out of the rocker on the way. I'm picking up my new X5 M in about 1 month have arranged the film shop to come to the dealer this time.

#78 · (Edited)
Get the wrapped !!

AFTER BMW MT LAUREL COULD NOT FIND SOMEONE WHO KNEW HOW
TO INSTALL THEIR 3M PROTECTON PACKAGE, I SEARCHED AND FOUND
A COMPANY THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST !!!

THEY ARE LOCATED IN LONG BRANCH NJ. ASK FOR TODD
http://clearbranj.com/ AND TELL HIM X5DIVA SENT YOU.
I GOT THE ENTIRE FRONT WRAPPED AND FENDER AREAS.
THEY ALSO TINTED MY WINDOWS AT THE SAME TIME.
I AM SO HAPPY I GOT THIS DONE, :thumbup:
I HAD IT DONE WITHIN A WEEK OF DELIVERY OF MY X5.

#79 · (Edited)
Clear bra contact info

I HAD A COUPLE OF INQUIRIES ALREADY FROM MY POST.
I GOT A FULL BODY WRAP, HOOD , FRONT , FENDERS,
AROUND ALL WHEELS. PRICE CAN VARY DEPENDING UPON
MODEL YEAR ETC...
A VERY GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH CALL HIM AND TELL HIM
EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT COVERED & DONE
I KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I AM ... I CAN TAKE
OFF AT LIGHTS AND KNOW MY BEAUITIFUL PAINT IS PROTECTED!!! lol

TODD ROVINSKY from Clear Bra NJ, 732-610-3397 lTODD.clearbranj.com
TELL HIM X5DIVA SENT YOU !

#83 ·
Late entry to this post I know, but I'm trying to figure why it is that some X5 Msport owners suffer with chipping and others do not. I know a couple of owners who haven't suffered with chipping, and both have 19in wheels and not 20in. Is this coincidence or is this an issue that only happens with the 20in wheels? Any 19in MSport owners out there suffer chipping? Would really appreciate any feedback as mine arrives in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure whether or not to arrange for 3M to be fitted!!

#89 ·
I think it has to do with the roads and what is on them. If you are in an area where there is alot of debris(rocks, degraded asphalt ect) the chips are more apparent compared to areas which don't have the same conditions. Maybe someone from southern states can chime in. I live in the Chicago area and there are tons of stuff out there. When I put my summer wheels on, i swear I pick up every single thing on the road until the roads clear up(rains, sweepers and lack of sand, salt, damaged and loose aggregate asphalt)

#84 ·
I have 20's and yes the stone chipping started on the way to the 3m application.
Why not just get it anyway? better safe than sorry! :)
You cant even see it, or know it was on.

#85 ·
Get the 3M done right away.. If you can have it done at the dealership.. Learn from our experiences!!! Also get the bottom of the doors done with the side skirts and fender flares/wheel arches

If you want I can post updated pics of how much worse the damage is after a month.. Not good!!

#86 ·
@X5diva: many thanks for your response! Must admit I am tempted to get the 3M anyway to avoid the chipping, it's just that I've recently spoken to two X5 M Sport drivers who don't have any chipping problems, and interestingly have the 19s (same as I have on order). It'll cost me close to $1000 to get done here so if it's not necessary would prefer not to obviously!

@Sean18337: many thanks for your input also! The dealership can't do it, but a mobile supplier can fit before I collect - would prefer to do that if I get it done rather than risk chipping on way to fitter. Do you mind me asking if you have 20s or 19s though?

#87 ·
3m

I would highly recommend you get it done. It is not worth the risk.

#90 ·
Just to followup on my 2011 X5M.

I sued BMW NA in small claims court early this month for repair of the damage to the paint and to properly outfit the car with protection. I won and BMW just send me the damage award.

Happy to provide pointers to anyone else. Just be aware that small claims court is different in every state.

FWIW, I still love the car. Will just love it more with clear bra.

Thanks
Chris

#91 ·
Great Job. I still love my X5 also. Heading in on Tuesday for paint and clear bra courtesy of BMW North America. I know it will still happen after the bra but its a lease 27 more months to go and back to BMW. My first and last BMW. I'm totally unhappy with the way they treat this design flaw on a 78000.00 suv.

#93 ·
This is a MAJOR design flaw that BMW is CLEARLY aware of but is trying to keep quiet.

I had my previous X5 for 3 years, 20,000+ miles on it and not so much as a smudge mark on it anywhere (non-M Sport). Decided I would purchase a new one, and really liked the M Sport package, although after just 700 miles the rear is covered with stone chips!

A $70K vehicle that you can't drive for 700 miles without severe stone chips is absolutely ridiculous!

Do those with the Sport Activity package and the wider wheels have this issue, or is it just the M Sport package vehicles with the painted lower bottoms? I also think the lower bottom section and the wheel arches are different on the M Sport.

If they were the same, and it wouldn't do it with the black plastic ones, I'd seriously think about changing out the bottom and the wheel arches, although then what's the point of the extra money for the M Sport package?

#94 ·
Not out to flame anyone, but this thread has to be the biggest waste of energy I have ever seen people waste! Design Flaw?? Really??? Get Real!!! Look at the size tire you X5 has, theres no doubt its not going to chip paint! If your concerned, get it wrapped up! You spend $$$ on a BMW, spend a little more to get it wrapped. The fact that someone traded they BMW in for a MB is crazy, no offense.

#95 ·
Funny that this almost 1 year old thread pops up:
I got BMWNA to repaint my fender flares and pay for the 3M Protection a month ago. Contacted them, showed them pictures and they agreed. Communication is key.
To be honest, design flaw or not: in the end they should have just slapped the 3M or whatever protection on there before the car left the plant.

GL

#96 · (Edited)
Ventureshield 8mm thickness on the entire rocker panels and fender flares and front mudflaps was my chosen path. The mudflaps keep the rocks off the door panels and the film protects the debris spray that still shoots up under the flaps. Not a car for paint perfectionists!!

#99 ·
Great that they took care of you. What is not so great is that given time, the shield and then the paint will be worn away again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#104 ·
Shield has warranty and provides warranty. Of course that could and probably will be bulk crap anyway, but we shall see.

Sent from BMW Assist in the ditch
Shield warranty is likely that the shield doesn't yellow or peel, etc. Probably no warranty for rocks that hit it at highway speed. Mud flaps are part of the answer but it is just the nature of this car. No 100% solution.

#108 ·
Unless these Walmart mudflaps extend to the ground, they won't protect the flares, but will keep the rocks off the rear doors. I have the oe flaps up front and they leave a 6 inch gap from the bottom of the flap to the road. Too much gap to protect flares.

#110 · (Edited)
Unless these Walmart mudflaps extend to the ground, they won't protect the flares, but will keep the rocks off the rear doors. I have the oe flaps up front and they leave a 6 inch gap from the bottom of the flap to the road. Too much gap to protect flares.

The owner of this car claimed that the non OE mudflaps protected the car perfectly ... of course those are 19" staggered wheels ...

Attachments

#109 ·
If you have ever looked in your side view mirror while on rain soaked roads, you witness amazing amounts of liquid blasting those flares. BMW should develop some sort of hydroelectric hybrid system to capture and reuse the energy!

#113 ·
Snap

I recently bought a used 2011 model and the exact same problem has come to light (after the product used by dealership to cover up the problem wore off). I think it is absolutely disgusting that BMW are aware of this and yet dealerships can sell them to the unsuspecting public without saying a word about it!

#114 ·
I recently bought a used 2011 model and the exact same problem has come to light (after the product used by dealership to cover up the problem wore off). I think it is absolutely disgusting that BMW are aware of this and yet dealerships can sell them to the unsuspecting public without saying a word about it!
Welcome to the world of BMW. Just wait 'till you have a wwarranty claim on wheel corrosion ... I waited 8 weeks before they finally told me "not covered, case closed and no opportunity to escalate, period." After 30+ years of BMW ownership I am seriously looking at alternatives. Just don't care to be treated this way. There are brands out there, like Honda, that appreciate customers much more than BMW.

And mine is just one story in thousands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.