BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 & Z4 Owners, May I Prevail Upon You For Your Opinion?

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  f1fork 
#1 ·
Please share your perceptions regarding the latest model Z4 (E89). Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Those are some great cars. A friend of mine bought the 35is, traded in his E85 Z4. For me personally though they lack the appeal the ones like yours had. The lines are not right for me, do not like how much space is in between the grill fins, the head lights look good but seem to go a bit too far up on those points by the fenders etc. Had it been refined a bit more it would appeal to me but no doubt in my mind it is nice and a lot of BMW lovers will appreciate this design. Probably a good thing it is slightly different in the most subtle of ways from the rest of their cars (they can tend to look very similar to each other). Just my $0.02 though for what it is worth.

#5 ·
Personally, I'm not taken with the styling at this point, especially the rear end of the car. But I was a Z3 fan at the point the Z4 came out, and thought they had made a mistake with the new styling. Zip forward a few years, and I've got a Z4 and absolutely love the styling now - finding the Z3 look somewhat dated, and not as old school roadster charming as I once thought it.

Mechanically, the E89 sounds like another solid BMW platform with strong engine choices, but perhaps leaning a shade further left on the comfort vs. performance scale. I love the new interior - think they did a great job. The retracting hardtop has it's share of fans and detractors due to the differences in convenience, weight, speed, available storage space, etc.

If you're a fan of the E89, get one and enjoy the hell out of it - who cares what the rest of the universe thinks? :thumbup:

#6 ·
I love everything about the styling except for the hard top, a convertible should have a cloth top. With the top up it looks good but I think it would look better with a cloth top. Plus the cutout in the trunk lid ruins the view from the rear for me.

My 2006 3.0i can hold two sets of golf clubs with the top down:thumbup:, I don't think the hard top will allow that and what is the point of having a convertible if you can't go on a long trip or to the golf course with the top down?:dunno:

#8 ·
As the owner of a 2006 3.0i, I could not agree more! My personal belief is that a Roadster should have a cloth top. I test drove a 2011, and while it drives nicely, I believe our model is the most attractive of all the Zs. The new design loses some of the attractive lines that our model has.

#7 ·
My issue with the new hard-top design is the loss of trunk/boot space. When I test drove my car the first priority is that I get my golf clubs into the storage space. Second priority was that I be able to sit comfortably with the top up (I'm 6'4" tall). I cannot consider the purchase of the new car since I can't get clubs in the storage space with the top down... I've tried.

#9 ·
I was amazed to find out how much trunk space the Z3 and E85 Z4 have. Shocked that your golf clubs can all fit in there with no problems (my guess is even with the top down too). This is part of what makes a car so appealing to me (and likely many others). Being so sporty yet practical enough to be used daily. Personally if a car could not fit my golf clubs it would be taken off the list as my main method of transportation.

#11 · (Edited)
I do have to take the long clubs (Driver, 3W, 3H) out and angle them, but they all fit. The clubs are always in and the top is always down, even in the parking lot. Only one set of clubs though fits. I saw someone else indicate that they can get two sets in their original Z4 and I had an acquantance tell me the same for her non-M Z3. I suspect the larger rear wheels in the MZ3 take up several inches of space that is not an issue on a normal Z3, but I have not tested or validated this suspicion.

#14 ·
Had the Z3, loved it. But liked the newer Z4 but not the earlier Z4. Got a chance to get a new 08 for about the price of a good used one with 10K on it, [dealer wanted to move some cars that fall], traded to the 08 and never looked back.

Then recently, my CA was bored one morning and invited me to take the new Z4, 2011 out for some spins. Maybe I might like to trade up??? I am not too worried about golf clubs [hate a game that makes me more depressed when I come home than when I left].

BUT am concerned about back roads out of St.Louis where the roads are smooth, curvy and wide open. This new one did not wish to corner like my 08. It was the non-turbo, and the middle level new Z4 has less power than my 08si. It's larger, wider, and did not have near the snap or roadster feel that mine does. I have had roadster for 45 years, starting with British, and vintage race MG's so handling is my issue. The new one is great if you live on Coronda Beach, hit the beach road each evening, and cruise up and down...or hit the interstate. Without being envious, I came back completely satisfied I was doing the right thing, price not withstanding in keeping the Z4si. I also wish to have enough room for weekend get-a-ways,-- luggage, detailing supply kit, and small but adequate tool kit. The new one would not meet that very well.

BUT have a friend that loves it. But considering his opinion on some other items of roadworthiness, I tease him that his testing experience is a bit limited. If you like it tho, go for it. It IS a great cruiser, just was not tossable like I personally think a roadster needs to evidence. ;)

#15 ·
I just don't see the E89 as an "original". by that I mean that it looks like they took the back off the 6 series, the sides off the E85, the front off the new 7 series, and the hood directly off the E90 3 series.

both the Z3 and the Z4 were unique cars when they came out. Different and yet still recognizable as BMW's.

#17 ·
The 2009+ Z4 is a nice car for some, but it’s very much a "luxury sports car - performance wanna be".

It drives nice, but there is too much electronic junk between me, the road and the experience.

Having a hard top convertible would be nice, but I drive top down most of the time and usually with luggage for two and that's a challenge with this model.

Give me a back to basics roadster with a powerful naturally aspirated engine, manual transmission, hydraulic steering and mechanical suspension.

...oh wait, I have that. Maybe the last of its kind.

#19 ·
Once again, a thought provoking question. Say what you will about the car, but the BMW marque never ceases to provide us with subject matter for discussion. It's all about preference. Define 'attractive'. The answer is slightly different for each of us. The new Z4 is sexy. It has beautiful lines and curves. It's smooth. The older Z4 was a complete diversion from contemporary thought at the time. Edgy, but also sexy, thought provoking and controversial. The Z3 married old school looks with modern performance and drive-ability. Once we own them we tend to make them our own. As a Z3 owner I tend to be bias. I love the manual top, manual transmission, and exhaust note of the 2.8. I love the fact that I can perform most of the mechanical work myself. Driving it is a blast. We all have a common love for the exhilaration of driving sports cars. It is a love affair. The new Z4 will be no different for future drivers in my opinion.

#21 ·
8000 or 48000 that is the question

I bought my 97 z3 2.8 in texas for 8 grand 42k miles, one owner and it was in great condition, put another 3k into it via a top, tires, cooling system, brake pads rotors and shocks. the car is now brand new. I went to a dealer for dinan day and drove an 11 z4 3.something. My car out accelerated and out handled the new one. The 11 did have a smoother ride and the solid top butttt..... mines prettier.

Jay

#23 ·
I feel the the new Z4 is like someone put a 328 convertible in the dryer for too long! :p

It is not a bad looking car, but I feel less attractive than the E85, and perhaps even less attractive than some of the newer the E37s (is this right for the z3?). For what it is (or should I say what it replaced), it's not aggressive enough. And at the price of $62k, I'd toss in another $5k and just get the M3 convertible. Not that I'm rich, but once you start paying that much, what's another $5k to make sure you get something you really like? (all of this coming from someone who paid $11500 for my E85) In the end, what I would probably rather do is spend about 1/2 of the cost of a new z435si, and just get an E85 M Roadster or spend the same 60-65k and get both the E85 M and the E86 M!

I think someone else said "Close but no cigar" and that sums up my opinions of the E89 as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.