BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What rims tires fit 2009 X6 with Sport and Active Steering?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sharpgator 
#1 ·
i have a nice set of 20" y rims on a sport package x6 (staggard) with active steering, but the snow will be here in a few months and i cannot imagine 20" summer tires are going to be friendly in Boston. does anyone know what i need to look for when moving to a 19" rim for this kind of unique x6 set up? Will 19 x 8.5 work for all 4 or do i have to have a set of 19 x 10 in the back? i am not concerned with sport performance per se, but certainly do not want to mess up the ABS or speed controls. any pointers for a software geek trying to not buy the wrong rims/tires?

#2 ·
You should be OK with any 19" rim compatible with the X6. I had the 214 Y spoke 20's on my 2010 and ran (forgot the number) 19" Star Spokes for the winter setup that I believe are 19x8.5. I also had the 2010 Sport package with Adaptive Drive and experienced no issues, the car drives a lot better on snow tires on the 19's here. In Colorado!

#3 ·
I'm new to the forum. I'm purchasing an X6 3.5 with the M package ...includes 20" Y spoke tires. I need snow tires and am being told by my sales person that I have very few options... and that I need a 19" rim. That's not an issue ...but there appears to be only one rim choice ...and that seems like a crock... to me. Can I put any 19" rim that BMW makes on this car ...like their 19" rim that comes with the Sports Package on my M package (not M series) or is my salesperson right. I certainly hope he's wrong. Please help.

#4 ·
i got real lucky and found a set of 19" rims from an x6 on Craigslist, but there are a lot of options on ebay as well. I would check that out. Not sure what the dealer meant as there are more than one style option, but, i think only one 'size' tire you can get with the 19": anything bigger may hit the wheel well during turns, etc. Pay attention if your wheels are staggard offset (likely that they are) and be sure you search for staggard x6 wheels on ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.