BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

IOS 6 works with Office... again!

31K views 99 replies 49 participants last post by  sunnydude959 
#1 ·
Those of you testing IOS 6 would know that by Revision 2 the email started working between BMW's Office and the iPhone, but you would only get the subject of the message.

Then Rev. 3 came out, and you could read the whole messages, which was great.

Unfortunately, when Rev. 4 came out, all the email messages were gone. Something changed and we lost email messages on iDrive. Bummer.

Well, I'm glad to report that after downloading the IOS 6 Golden Master (final version) all is good again and you can get notifications about new email messages on iDrive, and have your messages (complete messages!) read out loud over the speakers.

Wohooooo! A long awaited dream has come true.

Here are some pics:

See less See more
#4 ·
I also thought so in the beginning. What you have to do is enable notifications while locked.

Here's the step by step:

1. Go to Settings --> Notifications --> Mail --> Select any of your email accounts

2. Notification Center: ON

3. Alert Style: Banners or Alerts (I've only tested it to work with Banners...)

4. Show Preview: ON

5. View in Lock Screen: ON

I would suggest you delete the previously paired iPhone on iDrive, and remove the pairing on your iPhone too.

Re-pair the phone and iDrive.

You will get the notifications ONLY while the phone is locked (or screen is off). If you are testing this by sending an email to your iphone while you have your phone unlocked, you will never receive the notification on iDrive.

If you want to test it, lock your phone (or turn off the screen), or put it on the cradle, and wait a couple of minutes.

Then send yourself an email from your computer. You will see the notification on iDrive.

Hope this helps you out!

Alex.

#12 ·
Does IOS 6 send text and calendar to idrive?
My advice: Keep your BB until further. Only few persons I heard of (one) have managed to get email working correctly. Calendar is supported, but through BMW Apps. Tasks: Don`t think so. Reminders: No

I think BMW must update their system so that it works 100% together with IOS 6, and hopefully soon.

In the meantime, I use an old Nokia (30 USD), that gives me all but email. Just keep it in the car all time with tripple-SIM (three SIM-cards with the same number).

#16 ·
Doesn't work for me

I have a 2012 535 with BMW apps and the media snap-in.
I upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS6 today and I deleted and re-added my bluetooth profiles but I still get no new menu items in the Office menu. It only has Contacts and Messages. Messages include only the ones I sent to the car from google maps.
I even followed the link to update the software in the car to 003.005 but it did not change anything.
Can you suggest what to do next?

#18 ·
I have a 2012 535 with BMW apps and the media snap-in.
I upgraded my iphone 4s to IOS6 today and I deleted and re-added my bluetooth profiles but I still get no new menu items in the Office menu. It only has Contacts and Messages. Messages include only the ones I sent to the car from google maps.
I even followed the link to update the software in the car to 003.005 but it did not change anything.
Can you suggest what to do next?
Go to Settings>Bluetooth>Blue Right-Pointing Arrow of your car > Show Notifications "on"

That said, I have done all these steps and only two messages have appeared on the dash, several others have not.

#20 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 550i. I was able to get all emails and text messages today via Office and my iphone (AT&T) after upgrading to the new operating system. The key for me was to re-sync my iphone with the car. After doing that, I automatically starting getting all the emails and texts. In terms of using Siri on you car, all you have to do is access Siri like you normally would (hold down the home button) and Siri will alive over the vehicle's speaker system via bluetooth. I love this car!!

#74 · (Edited)
Do not feel bad

I had a malfunctioning 3G (original) until last Oct when the 4S came out.
By the way I cannot get emails to work, just SMS. If I turned off and then on the email notifications while connected to car then it works until I turned off the engine, on the next start only SMS, I do not know why, I tried everything :tsk:
It looks like you have to turned off and then on emails notification with each start :eeps:.

#25 ·
I just updated my iPhone to iOS6 last night and noticed the BMW online now looks different and I beleive has a couple new features like weather. Or was that there all the time and I just never used it..... :dunno:

#27 ·
Cool. What do you mean exactly? Can others confirm whether this is new? Really curious about the weather part.

#29 ·
I'm still not getting emails either, even though I have "Current office" showing up in idrive.

Haven't tried texts yet.

What I will say is if I need to have notifications on in order to get emails on the idrive screen, thus flooding my iPhone screen with glimpses of all my emails, I will scrap the idea altogether.

I'm not a fan of message content being displayed in the notifications, especially if its sensitive material (work) or inappropriate material (from friends :)).

#30 · (Edited)
I'm in the UK and just managed to get this working. I'm not sure if this would work outside of the UK though. I had to do the following on the car:

Settings -> Software Update. I followed the prompts using BMW teleservices and updated to the latest MX and TX releases. This took a while and you have to be stationary with the ignition on.
Telephone -> Bluetooth Menu. Press Option button and select Configure Bluetooth. Ensure that Office is enabled.
Reconnected my phone (4s with iOS6) to the car and ensure that Show Notifications is enabled as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Then go to Office and it should all work. When I receive a SMS or email I get the envelope icon on the Idrive and if I open the message I can see the message and have audio playback.

I'm very happy with this. Unfortunately all types of message are handled in the same way but you can set a filter.

Only new messages will sync so don't expect old content to show up

#31 ·
I got texts to show up with the instructions above, but emails are not. I think you have to set your email settings to push if you have that option available or fetch every 15 mins, I am hoping if I send an email and wait 15 mins in the car, it will show up. I dont want to fetch emails every 15 mins or push either, because it will drain the crappy iPhone battery and it will keep getting emails all day, especially while you are in bed.

#33 ·
That's my understanding as well - That the phone has to be locked/in sleep mode and either push emails or fetch at a certain interval for emails to work. I do not do either, as I fetch on demand. Getting txts to come through is fine. So, I will give it a go when I update this weekend.

#35 ·
I have read all the threads and this sounds great.

However, are we sure that you need banners/alerts enable on the phone? Seems silly.

I would think enabling bluetooth alerts and enabling to view while locked would be sufficient.

I am just trying to determine the minimum required to get things working rather than enabling a bunch of stuff that really doesn't matter.

#38 ·
Same, Txt no Email.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.