BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bardahl no-smoke stop leak.

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EricG 
#1 ·
At my annual inspection I got rejected for 3 items on my 1996 318ti with 150k miles:
1) Air bag light (SRS) on
2) Oil leak (very slow)
3) Power steering fluid leak

I took it to a mechanic friend to check things out and he only tightened the power steering pump hose clamp. He didn't have a SRS reset tool and found the oil leak was between the engine and transmission.

I've since ordered the Peake reset tool, but I'm puzzled about how to handle the oil leak. I'm the original owner of the car and I haven't used any oil or fuel additives before. Has anyone used Bardahl no-smoke stop leak oil additive or something similar in their 3's yet? I don't want to use it, but if it saves me a couple thousand in pulling the engine or transmission I am willing to try... if the additive doesn't screw things up more. :dunno:

#3 ·
there are many brands that advertise that their product will soften the rear main seal and stop leaks. I have never actually heard that any of these products will work...you can try one of them. The blowby or crankcase pressure causes the oil to slip passed the rear main seal. what I would try is change oil to possible 20W50 dino oil which is noted for less seapage. Drive to the station and wipe down the underside crankcase,bellhousing etc just before going in...as a rule this type of leak is at its worst when you shut it off for the day and the crankcase pressure will push out sometimes a quarter of cup of fluid onto the floor.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll try the dino oil. The leak is usually 3 or 4 new drops on the garage floor every morning so I may even be able to get away with a wipe down before pulling into the station, but I don't want to push my luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.