BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HELP !!! 03 745Li won't start

77K views 163 replies 45 participants last post by  Jackjones 
#1 ·
my 745Li all the sudden won't start, :cry: it was trying to crank, but then it got weaker and weaker, and after a few more try on press the start button, it totally gone dead now. I though the issue may be the battery and have AAA come and charge the battery directly at the trunk but no luck :thumbdwn:. Any other suggestion on troubleshoot before I point the problem to the starter ? My car do have problem with oil leak, not sure if the oil got to the starter !!! : (

#100 ·
Car won't start

I had my car running great after installing a new alternator, water pump, thermostat, radiator, belts, and hoses. I did have a fault error 8E111 though that I wanted to check out. I ran Dashsoft and INPA. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary except that I need to inspect my parking brake. I turned my car off and then did the transmission reset by holding down the gas pedal for 25 seconds with the key in the ignition and foot off the brake. When I tried to restart the car just cranks and cranks but won't start. Any ideas? I hate to tow it to the dealer.

#105 ·
I had my car running great after installing a new alternator, water pump, thermostat, radiator, belts, and hoses. I did have a fault error 8E111 though that I wanted to check out. I ran Dashsoft and INPA. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary except that I need to inspect my parking brake. I turned my car off and then did the transmission reset by holding down the gas pedal for 25 seconds with the key in the ignition and foot off the brake. When I tried to restart the car just cranks and cranks but won't start. Any ideas? I hate to tow it to the dealer.
Try to re-align your Dme .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

#113 ·
Wow! This is very interesting. But here is my lingering question. The trick that we all call "transmission reset" of holding down the gas pedal for 25 seconds does NOT reset anything. If you use INPA and read all the adaptation values afterward, you should see that none of those values change. The only thing that the "trick" actually does is to switch to a different mode -- maybe Sport mode. And this makes the driver think that it resets the transmission.

Now the real question....how the hell can switching to Sport mode cause such an issue?

#116 ·
Another member here and I have been going thru this transmission reset or adaption reset for a couple of pm messages. I have different thoughts as I came from a e38 and we are both looking thru the different perspectives of what this really does?

The programming is hard coded into ZF transmissions and I know that it does affect the values of the transmission. I am hard pressed that it really is a reset but until proven I will stand by a another member.

He is older and wiser than I.

#117 ·
Bimmer Won't Start

:mad:I have a 2003 BMW 745i and drove it to work yesterday and when i got there a heard a low pitch rumbling sound coming from the engine, I immediately shut off car for few minutes then tried starting it again, the car would not start and gave off faint electrical burning odor. I got battery tested , checked fuses and all check out good. I'm thinking it might be the starter any ideas and if it is the starter will I need any special tools to replace it?

Attachments

#118 ·
:mad:I have a 2003 BMW 745i and drove it to work yesterday and when i got there a heard a low pitch rumbling sound coming from the engine, I immediately shut off car for few minutes then tried starting it again, the car would not start and gave off faint electrical burning odor. I got battery tested , checked fuses and all check out good. I'm thinking it might be the starter any ideas and if it is the starter will I need any special tools to replace it?
Rip alt...

#121 ·
Bimmer Won't Start Please Help

:yikes:I have a 2003 BMW 745i and drove it to work yesterday and when i got there a heard a low pitch rumbling sound coming from the engine, I immediately shut off car for few minutes then tried starting it again, the car would not start and gave off faint electrical burning odor. I got battery tested , checked fuses and all check out good. I'm thinking it might be the starter any ideas and if it is the starter will I need any special tools to replace it?

Attachments

#124 ·
It is ur alternator. Most likely u have water cooled alternator. I had same problem. I cut my belts ( they were old) tried to spin it, it doesnt spin. Tried to spin motor pulley it was ok. Replaced alternator, car doesnt crank, replaced integrated supply module, still doesnt start, replaced starter, car fired up for about 30 secs then it gave me tamper protection fault, fuel was cut off. Had to reprogram DME using inpa. When alternator dies it can take out a lot of electrical modules or starter in ur case. Try to take belt off, stin alternator i bet it wont move. Then make sure ur battery is charged enough and try to start it. If it cranks its only ur alternator, if it doesn't then get new integrated supply module (160 something $) if that doesnt help its ur starter. Replacing a starter is a b!tch. Have to to remove left exhaust manifold etc. good luck.

#125 ·
Fyi- my alternator tested ok by Autozone, when it was failing & going bad. If you search this site you'll find others who have experienced what you are going thru. Finally it died & I had to get towed to dealer for costly alternator replacements (no warranty @ 120k miles ). BTW - I also tried the IPS & it didn't help & recharging the battery w/no success.

I hope you get yours fixed.:)
jdcraw

#127 ·
Hey have a question ok I don't think its the starter anymore recharged battery, then pushed start button car cranked a little bit. Which brings me to my next question I had the car for about 7 months and when i first brought it had an oil leak found out it was the valve cover gaskets, vacuum pump and alternator seal bracket haven't had a chance to fix it. Today I looked at my alternator found oil all around it. Was wondering lets say if oil gets in alternator and frys it and battery is charged full will car still start.

#130 ·
Starter, integrated supply module ,power module, fuel pump. Do u have inpa? Maybe u need to synch dme, if u have tamper protection code.
Test ur starter, and fuel pump.
If all good
I would start with sync DME
Then i would change integrated supply and power module as they are cheap.

#132 ·
All you need is obd to usb cable from ebay and u can download inpa ( bmw tools) from internet. U can either search this website for download link or search the web. Many links are available. Some cables on ebay come with software. When i bought mine it was in german tho. Ive downloaded from internet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.