BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HELP !!! 03 745Li won't start

77K views 163 replies 45 participants last post by  Jackjones 
#1 ·
my 745Li all the sudden won't start, :cry: it was trying to crank, but then it got weaker and weaker, and after a few more try on press the start button, it totally gone dead now. I though the issue may be the battery and have AAA come and charge the battery directly at the trunk but no luck :thumbdwn:. Any other suggestion on troubleshoot before I point the problem to the starter ? My car do have problem with oil leak, not sure if the oil got to the starter !!! : (

#136 ·
745i won't start

Hello all I have an 745i and it had a coolant leak on the sensor. So I ordered a coolant tank and replaced it no more leak. But now car won't start. I figured it was the battery and changed out the battery. Car still won't.:mad: Pressed the brake and its hard. Pushed the start button nothing just clicks. I checked everything. I need some advise before I have to go spend money that I can save........PLEASE HELP!!!

#143 ·
Ofcourse accident matters.. may have codes that need to be reset to allow the car to start.. When I've replaced some sensors without taking the battery off they won't work until I reset the codes.. I'll be watching the readings while resetting codes and bam they come right back as soon as it's cleared.

#148 · (Edited)
745i wont start

ok this is my 1st post and iv read tons of other post about this . my issue is the car was low on gas, I topped it off and drove off from the pump a few min later the idrive says drive moderate catalyst damage could occur. I puled in to autozone to scan the car and it said misfire on banks one and two . I thought ok no problem I got all new plugs switched them out and went back to re-scan the car it still said misfire banks one and two. I then switched out all the coil packs, o2 sensors (4) of them the fuel pump the fuel filter and it still was saying drive moderate catalyst damage could occur on the I drive. after a few months of sitting I had to replace the battery because I didn't want to have catalyst damage occur so I let the car sit. I switched out the battery and I **** you not the car would run for 10 seconds and turn off I was like WTF!!!!!! at this point I gave up and took it to bemmer tech in Orlando and the hooked the gauge up to my fuel line and its getting the correct fuel pressure they then said it was the fuel filter and wanted several hundred bucks to switch it out and I advised them iv already did it but they told me it was the filter so it was cheaper to tow the car home put on their fuel filter and tow it back .. that's correct tow it back bemmer tech then advised if its not your crank shaft sensor its out of timing and its a costly repair, I looked over at another 745 they had and said its a easy part to check jack mine up and try that sensor off that car sure as s#!t mine was fine so I was like how could my car be out of timing from sitting they said the plastic timing chain guides get old and break with high mileage and one was to check is to take the valve covers off and see if the chain is lose or has scratch marks on the block from vibration and chatter...
after towing the car back home I dedicated the whole day to the valve covers and timing chain ,just to conclude that its not out of timing. I ordered 4 cam shaft position sensors and put them in and now the car runs and drives but is still stuck in limp mode and the idrive still says drive moderate catalyst damage could occur. so i parked the car for a month and now it wont start after becoming a good google mechanic I discovered what's called a eccentric cam shaft sensor they are under the valve covers and cost about $300 each (I didn't replace them yet) I paid another bmw guy to look at it and program any modules that needed to be programed back to the car if needed and figure out why it wont start I seen this bad ass computer scan my care and everything came back 100% fine no errors but the KEY error im like my key sets the alarm locks and unlocks the car and pops the trunk still how can it be the key but because his BMW computer said I needed a new key I went to FIELDS BMW and got a new master key (they only have 10 keys per car after you use up all 10 keys you will need to switch out your computer key dock in the dash and all the locks on your car) I thank god am only on key 6...... well I get my new master key and put it in the dash hold in with my finger for about 15 seconds to program the key to the car and BAM ....... damn car wont start the new key is doing everything the old key did.. ANY IDEAS before I turn it into a parts car?

#150 ·
Hey guys I have a problem with my 2003 bmw 745i it's cranking but doesn't starts most of the time and sometimes it's starts fine but in the beginning it's chocked there was issue with the fuel pump as I had wiring problem but my mechanic fixed it or at least this is what he said because before it wasn't starting at all I changed spark plugs coils and IVM modual but nothing working nobody is understanding what is the issue and when it doesn't starts it tells me engine malfunction engine losing power and I get a pic of engine light half full engine codes that gives me are
277c DME SELF TEST RESET
2799 DME THROTTLE VALVE ADAPTATION ABORT DUE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITION
2792 DME throttle position monitoring
2793 DME throttle actuator control range
Plus when it starts and I drive on it when I slow down or accelerate from complete stop the car feels Strange likes it's cutting off they tested the fuel pressure after wiring it and it's 50 psi which they said it's good now this car went through full tune up except the fuel filter was not changed can anyone help me please

#151 · (Edited)
Not wanting to start after starting earlier

I have a 2002 745i with some issues first one is it would start then I drive 4 blocks go in store come back push start and brakes, nothing all light are on but nothing,sometimes I would get a jump start and it comes on other times nothing, one time it wouldn't start for nothing and out of anger I slam the passenger back door and then try one last time guess what it started other times it don't start I would leave it for a day then guess what it starts again I notice while driving my radio chip out like it shorts out then comes back on in a minute and my alarm would go off sometimes while in park for no reason sometimes killing the battery causing me to get a jump any help as to what's happening do I have short somewhere and where to look if so

#152 ·
Not wanting to start after starting earlier

I have a 2002 745i with some issues first one is it would start then I drive 4 blocks go in store come back push start and brakes, nothing all light are on but nothing,sometimes I would get a start and it comes on other times nothing, one time it wouldn't start for nothing and out of anger I slam the passenger back door and then try one last time guess what it started other then it don't start I would leave it for a day then guess what it starts again I notice while driving my radio chip out like it shorts out then comes back on in a minute and my alarm would go off sometimes while in park for no reason sometimes killing the battery causing me to get a jump any help as to what's happening do I have short somewhere and where to look if so

#156 ·
2004 BMW 745i won't start

We have a 2004 BMW 745i. I was told that the alternator went out so we had it replaced and new battery . Now it won't start dash lights up saying the transmission is automatically in park when engine is **** off. No sounds when the push start is pressed.we stuck and don't know what to do can't even get it towed can't put it in neutral. What do we do to find out why it won't start. The headlights and taillights stay on with key out had to disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain

#157 ·
We have a 2004 BMW 745i. I was told that the alternator went out so we had it replaced and new battery . Now it won't start dash lights up saying the transmission is automatically in park when engine is **** off. No sounds when the push start is pressed.we stuck and don't know what to do can't even get it towed can't put it in neutral. What do we do to find out why it won't start. The headlights and taillights stay on with key out had to disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain
did you have the battery registered to your car & is it fully charged ?
Also sounds like you need to have the car RE-SYNCED !!!

PS:
There is an emergency box to put the car in Neutral
under the dash driver side . you should see a tab that
you can open & put your metal key in to put the car in
Neutral ...

#158 ·
My car this morning started fine. I drove it to work which is about an hour's drive and back. Now later in the evening i had to meet a friend and when i pushed the start button, i could only hear the click sound from the starter but nothing happens afterwards.
I had an old IVM which i tried replacing after that. No luck.
Checked battery voltage which i thought would be causing it but no luck again. Tried starting it with a jumper cable and still nothing. It most definitely hear a click everytime but seems like starter is not turning further to turn the engine to start.
I also check the fusea on the IVM which are fine. Checked fuel pump fuse in the truck and its fine as well.

Is it the starter? Or fuel pressure regulator.

I will tonight however would try syncing DME using INPA hoping i might get lucky.

Any suggestions?

Please remember if you are helping that i do hear a click everytime i press the start button but thats about it. Battery voltage, if it was an issue would not be a problem after i jumped it with another car. I checked the voltage via hidden dash menu and it didnt dropped below 13V as the jumper cables were attached.

I hate the hassle of tow truck

#160 ·
My car this morning started fine. I drove it to work which is about an hour's drive and back. Now later in the evening i had to meet a friend and when i pushed the start button, i could only hear the click sound from the starter but nothing happens afterwards.
I had an old IVM which i tried replacing after that. No luck.
Checked battery voltage which i thought would be causing it but no luck again. Tried starting it with a jumper cable and still nothing. It most definitely hear a click everytime but seems like starter is not turning further to turn the engine to start.
I also check the fusea on the IVM which are fine. Checked fuel pump fuse in the truck and its fine as well.

Is it the starter? Or fuel pressure regulator.

I will tonight however would try syncing DME using INPA hoping i might get lucky.

Any suggestions?

Please remember if you are helping that i do hear a click everytime i press the start button but thats about it. Battery voltage, if it was an issue would not be a problem after i jumped it with another car. I checked the voltage via hidden dash menu and it didnt dropped below 13V as the jumper cables were attached.

I hate the hassle of tow truck
Did you ever come to a conclusion on what the problem was? I have the exact same issue. I replaced the starter and on the first try it seemed to try and turn then nothing but the click after that. I know I need to register the battery, but that shouldn't keep it from starting with a new battery, should it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bimmerfest mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.