BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation- traffic info not working

31K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  mlwithrow528 
#1 ·
Traffic info no longer seems to be working. Was working as of yesterday morning on the way to work. Wasn't working on the way home and then today's round trip . Checked the settings and I'm good there.

This isn't a subscription service ,is it? The car is coming up on its one year anniversary

Thanks

#2 ·
I see you're on the east coast, NJ? I'm in MD/VA and I noticed today the traffic info also didn't seem to be working. First I thought I had a clear route to work (I left late today), but there was plenty of traffic, same coming home. Maybe there's some outage or something in the traffic broadcasting system.

#3 ·
No subscription. It works off the radio data broadcast by clear channel, I believe.

#4 ·
Whether it is working or not, is generally worthless, as is the navigation in general. Can't count the number of times when traffic is flowing freely and the triangles show slow traffic. Recently showed slow traffic due to construction for 3 months on a freeway near my home when there was never construction there. Can't guess where the traffic information comes from.

My wife drives an Audi and her traffic navigation is very accurate.

#5 · (Edited)
Disagree. The traffic info comes from a 3rd party, BMW has nothing to do with it. I find the traffic indicators are usually spot on, with the additional "Traffic Jam" light on the dash coming on in extreme traffic cases. The ETA to destination is almost always exact, updating continuously along the way. The ETA calculation changes in response to traffic reports, as well as actual in-route progress. I've seen it jump a matter of 20 minutes in one shot when additional traffic instances showed up. All in all, excellent system.

#8 ·
Same Here

I work in NYC ... the traffic map is usually SPOT ON ... barely working at all right now ... something is going on ... who do we contact ? Incidentally I have had this car for two years and the traffic reporting, rerouting has been amazing so far ... up until last Thursday at least.

#9 ·
I love the traffic notification, but mine wasn't working today. I was driving from Long Island, NY to Bronx, NY and it missed the 30 minute delay on the highway it normally picks up.

#10 ·
Thank god I found this thread! Yesterday my central locking blew a fuse in my 335i, and afterwards the traffic information seemed to not be working. I replaced the fuse but nothing.

So I figured that something messed up the programming of my traffic info. But it appears that you guys are also having this problem - so it must be some type of outage.

I'm in the NY/NJ area too.

Ha, I'm so happy it's a common issue!

#15 ·
Was traveling from Santa Barbara to SF yesterday and it wasn't working. By the evening when we arrived home, it seemed to be sending traffic information again. Must have been a pretty big outage.

#16 ·
My traffic info stopped sometime during the day on May 10, 2012 (was fine in morning, not in evening). Has been inop ever since. Spoke to BMW customer relations today, they said it is indeed a known issue that has been reported and technical support is working the issue. No estimated time frame for fix was given.

#17 ·
Do you have Sirius? I find the traffic update channel to be a very worthwhile preset, and a valuable addition to the Nav system. The Nav system, while usually pretty accurate, doesn't always give me all the info I want, like which lane is blocked by the accident, which lane is getting by, and whether they are about to close the road for a Med Flight chopper to land. The real time, human updates do that really well.

#19 ·
Monday 14 and Real Traffic info not coming

Called BMW Assist - No information
Call BMW corporate - No Information
Called dealer - No information

Nice support :(
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/rtti/default.aspx

Traffic incidents are compiled and transmitted in metropolitan areas by a leading FM broadcaster. The data is received through a dedicated tuner, which operates independently of your entertainment source. The reported traffic incidents are displayed as icons on the navigation map and in a list, sorted by distance from your BMW's current position. While you stay focused on enjoying the drive, your navigation system automatically calculates the best route and even provides a detour around traffic if the delay is calculated to be longer than 5 minutes.
Not BMW's fault. Blame the local BMW broadcaster

#22 ·
on the phone with them right now ... they are aware of it because a few of us have called today ... they don't know whats wrong right now ... i advise everyone to call customer relations pronto.

#24 ·
how do you even get the traffic data to work? When i load the traffic gray map it never shows anything? I am not sure how to do it. On my Mercedes E350 it always pops up as yellow or red little cars next to the freeway... works awesome!

#28 ·
I'm in the DC area. For the last couple of days the little triangles indicating traffic have been missing. It's still picking up congestion on the list view, but not on my main map. Had it in the dealer yesterday and they said everything works! Thought I was losing my mind until I checked this forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.