BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Poor sound quality on satellite radio in new BMW

15K views 87 replies 39 participants last post by  glangford 
#1 ·
I have a new 2012 328I. The satellite radio sounds "tinny" almost like your underwater. Regular FM sounds fine as do CD's etc. I have heard from others that the problem is with Sirius and the amount of compression in their sound files. I don't believe this to be my problem because I have satellite radio in my home and the music sounds absolutely perfect. Are others experiencing this problem? I took the car to my dealer and the service manager listened to the radio but did not feel there was a problem. He said they would still remove the unit and check it out but I will wait to hear back from others before pursuing this option. Thanks

#13 ·
+That's why I can't understand why some insist on putting it in at their cost. Unless they're interested in talk programs.
cheers
vern

#3 ·
Sirius is aweful. Maybe the receiver has something to do with it, but nothing is wrong. It is just bad.

#4 ·
Don't bother having them remove the radio. It's the signal from Sirius that's bad. When you say you have satellite radio at home, exactly what do you mean? You can get Sirius/XM off the internet or from some TV satellite systems. This is not the same as getting it off the satellite for your car. Also, turn off the surround option on your car radio. That just makes it worse.

#5 ·
sirius is 56kpbs or something on a codec that is maybe WMA level good. it is a 10 year old codec.

that said i can't imagine it being much different than FM. i dont have a BMW yet, but i've had XM in an acura and sirius in my current audi and it seems to sound "ok". i wouldnt say it was CD quality, but its definitely on par with FM

#6 ·
FM is analog. Its audio quality potential is more akin to 12 bit linear PCM sampled at 30kHz. Much more data than Sirius. Of course, FM stations are purposely compressed, but you don't get the high frequency artifacts of low bitrate digital-that "underwater sound". XM uses a very different format and to my ears sounds slightly better than Sirius. I'm also told that different bit rates are used in Sirius depending on the station in question and that some are substantially less than 56kb equivalent. In any event, for any of us who have been listening to Sirius for years, there's little doubt that it's terrible and that the OP is just discovering this fact. To my ears, most FM sounds better overall than Sirius.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I am not convinced it is simply a problem with Sirius. My home satellite radio is a tiny XMp3i that sits in a docking station. It is connected to a Bose music system. But irregardless as to what it is connected to, I can use it as a portable device with headphones and it still sounds equally great - no underwater sounds, no tinny sounds. So you need to explain to me why the same signal source can have that much of a difference unless the car unit decoding the signal is at fault. Please lets' hear from others with a similar problem so I can go to BMW with factual ammunition to get this problem resolved, not only for me but apparently for others with the same problem.

#12 ·
Sirius sounds fine in my F30. It doesn't have the quality of the IPhone or CD, but it sounds on par with FM. Agree with what was said earlier about turning off the L7 surround. Since I did that and adjust the EQ/bass/treble settings and set it back 2 spots to the rear, the HK sound is decent.

#16 ·
I think the Sirius sounds worse with the Harman Kardon sound system than it does with the base sound system. The HK is a premium system, and the Sirius is a lower quality signal than many commercial FM stations. As they say, "garbage in, garbage out".

:drive:

#22 ·
For all the technical reasons listed above, XM's sound is superior to that of Sirius's.

XM has better higher end sound. Sirius has an increased lower end as a form of compensation.

Also, the aftermarket and especially recording units usually had better sound than factory and/or in-dash units.

So at the end of the day, there are a lot of reasons why your BMW Sirius doesn't sound as good as your XMP3i.

#24 ·
All the Asian cars have XM, not Sirius. While the content is 95% the same, the channel numbers differ in some cases.

#28 ·
2013 328i Poor Satellite Radio Sound Quality

The sound quality in my 2013 328i is AWFUL! The music drags and produces a terrible, slow speed distorted, tinny effect. The FM radio and iTunes music via iPhone sound perfect, so I know it's not a problem with the radio or speakers.

I installed an after market XM satellite radio system in my 2002 325i that sounded perfect. I have also been in 2013 and 2014 models of non-BMW cars and SUVs and the sound is perfect. Why is BMW's system so inferior? I took it to my dealer and the tech agreed that there is a problem, but doesn't know what it is. He said he researched the issue and found complaints with many other late model cars which is not the case per my experience. He blames Sirius which sounds like a cop out. Why would other new cars have great Sirius sound as well as my old after market system? Any ideas from anyone on his/her experience and what to do about it?

#29 ·
The sound quality in my 2013 328i is AWFUL! The music drags and produces a terrible, slow speed distorted, tinny effect. The FM radio and iTunes music via iPhone sound perfect, so I know it's not a problem with the radio or speakers.

I installed an after market XM satellite radio system in my 2002 325i that sounded perfect. I have also been in 2013 and 2014 models of non-BMW cars and SUVs and the sound is perfect. Why is BMW's system so inferior? I took it to my dealer and the tech agreed that there is a problem, but doesn't know what it is. He said he researched the issue and found complaints with many other late model cars which is not the case per my experience. He blames Sirius which sounds like a cop out. Why would other new cars have great Sirius sound as well as my old after market system? Any ideas from anyone on his/her experience and what to do about it?
Please see my post 3 or 4 above yours regarding Sirius vs. XM sound quality.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app

#37 ·
All I can tell you is that BMW stereos, and I have the HK version, are not on par with what you will find in Acuras and Lexuses.
They are very good for handling music with good low end sound like classic rock, but bad at handling higher ranges like in pop.

The regular radio in our present 2013 328i is far better sounding that in our two past Lexus OEM radios. No comparison at all. Perhaps for 2013 Toyota decided to drop a better radio in their new models, for those that didn't want to pay the extra thousands for their excellent upgrade radio.

#38 ·
The regular radio in our present 2013 328i is far better sounding that in our two past Lexus OEM radios. No comparison at all. Perhaps for 2013 Toyota decided to drop a better radio in their new models, for those that didn't want to pay the extra thousands for their excellent upgrade radio.
I was referring more to the high end, Mark Lershner(?) Lexus stereos or the ELS Acura ones.

#31 ·
If you want a radio experience at higher quality use smartphone and try out MOG. I believe it integrates with iDrive and have a setting for 320kbps streaming and/or download quality. Like Spoitify but high quality audio. Anyone use MOG in their BMW? (waiting on my F34 delivery to test it in car)

#32 ·
MOG sounds amazing. Not surprisingly, navigating the menus in my 2012 is a little irritating.

Regardless, the complaining posters weren't asking for satrad alternatives. They already said their iPods sound fine.

#36 ·
I had a recent Ford Fusion and Jeep rentals before and satellite radio sounded pretty good on those. Not sure if it was XM or Sirius but the quality was close to mp3 and this was in pretty much a mid loaded car. Not sure what the case is with BMWs. I was regretting my decision not getting Sirius in my F30 but after the above comments, I think it was a good thing I didnt. Although with the rentals I noted as soon as i pass under a small overpass, the signal will go blank which was quite annoying and since its a direct satellite reception, it's expected.

#40 · (Edited)
MOG and Spotify are comparable. I run Spotify, which is free for ad-supported use on a PC, and $10 a month for the mobile app with downloading enabled.

Sirius is a radio service - there are tons of channels but you listen to whatever is playing on any given channel, like traditional radio. With Spotify, you pick the music you want to listen to. Think of it as iTunes where all the music is available to you, whenever you want it, at no charge other than the subscription fee if you pay that.

Spotify and MOG also have "radio" functions where you can pick a song, album, or artist you like and they will play similar music, like Pandora.

I'm a musician too, when I have time to be one, and I sort of bemoan the Spotify streaming model because it pays the artists an unbelievably low share of the revenue.* But as a consumer I have to admit it kicks serious ass. I haven't bought a CD in the three years I've been using it.

* about half a penny per stream, on average. Source.

#42 ·
MOG is great. Like spotify. 320kbps quality (selectable option in app). $10/mo. Advantage over spotify because it integrates with idrive via connected drive. Works well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#43 ·
The answer to the sound quality issue in all new BMW

here is the SiriusXM link to the devices used in BMW vehicles: http://www.siriusxm.com/help/findsirius#BMWGroup
The complicated "technical" information per advanced research and SiriusXM in-house experts is this: "CIC/HighCIC Mid" units are high fidelity and are effectively a circuit board within BMW's own navigation head unit (and share the XM technology). "Champ2+" is a standalone Sirius receiver with subpar sound quality. The numerical difference in decoded sound between the two devices is 128-320 kb per second (in CIC) vs 32-64 kb per second (in Champ2+), thus it can be four times worse in the standalone version. To get the "better sound" one must order not just the Premium Package and Premium Sound Package - 16 Harman Kardon speakers, bla bla bla (which I ordered both for my brand new 428i), but also the Navigation Option or Technology Package (which I didn't order as it was never explained on the website or by the dealer that those options would anyhow affect the sound quality of the satellite radio (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/iDrive/Overview/AdvantagesofOnBoardNav.aspx).

I work in the music industry, and as crazy as it may sound - SiriusXM and its sound quality in the car is equally important to me as the car's performance itself. I feel cheated and pranked - like installing a Chevy Cruz engine into a Lamborghini body and selling it at a full Lamborghini price. I can't believe they even install that crap into a brand new 428! The delivered car has another another physical issue, so right now I'm working with the dealership to figure out the solutions. Big issue: the navigation or technology package are factory-installed, SO there's not much that can be done after-market to fix the issue...

If you care about the sound quality of your BMW's satellite radio - read the above carefully and think twice before foregoing that $2-3K upgrade option which is logically unrelated to the sound. I would've definitely paid the extra money and the dealer would've made the extra commission. BMW should make this issue public, visible, and educate the salesmen to educate the buyers about something that matters a lot, if even to a small group of people. Buying a premium brand - I expect to have all information disclosed, and that "small" issue is not small to me (and to thousands of other current and potential owners and everyone on this page).

#44 ·
here is the SiriusXM link to the devices used in BMW vehicles: http://www.siriusxm.com/help/findsirius#BMWGroup
The complicated "technical" information per advanced research and SiriusXM in-house experts is this: "CIC/HighCIC Mid" units are high fidelity and are effectively a circuit board within BMW's own navigation head unit (and share the XM technology). "Champ2+" is a standalone Sirius receiver with subpar sound quality. The numerical difference in decoded sound between the two devices is 128-320 kb per second (in CIC) vs 32-64 kb per second (in Champ2+), thus it can be four times worse in the standalone version. To get the "better sound" one must order not just the Premium Package and Premium Sound Package - 16 Harman Kardon speakers, bla bla bla (which I ordered both for my brand new 428i), but also the Navigation Option or Technology Package (which I didn't order as it was never explained on the website or by the dealer that those options would anyhow affect the sound quality of the satellite radio (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/iDrive/Overview/AdvantagesofOnBoardNav.aspx).

I work in the music industry, and as crazy as it may sound - SiriusXM and its sound quality in the car is equally important to me as the car's performance itself. I feel cheated and pranked - like installing a Chevy Cruz engine into a Lamborghini body and selling it at a full Lamborghini price. I can't believe they even install that crap into a brand new 428! The delivered car has another another physical issue, so right now I'm working with the dealership to figure out the solutions. Big issue: the navigation or technology package are factory-installed, SO there's not much that can be done after-market to fix the issue...

If you care about the sound quality of your BMW's satellite radio - read the above carefully and think twice before foregoing that $2-3K upgrade option which is logically unrelated to the sound. I would've definitely paid the extra money and the dealer would've made the extra commission. BMW should make this issue public, visible, and educate the salesmen to educate the buyers about something that matters a lot, if even to a small group of people. Buying a premium brand - I expect to have all information disclosed, and that "small" issue is not small to me (and to thousands of other current and potential owners and everyone on this page).
I believe this information to be correct and people should really take notice to avoid any nasty surprises.

#47 ·
Welcome, yuri-m, and thank you for your very interesting first post.

Unfortunately, as I am certain you know, the sound of satellite radio remains dreadful even if one possesses the best possible receiver and decoding equipment. The signal is highly compressed is no better than a low bit-rate eMPty3 - replete with all the compression artifacts, ghastly timbre, poor transients, etc.

Satellite radio sound is execrable at best. I have BMW's "best" setup and the sound remains unlistenable. I appreciate others may find it acceptable or value the programming sufficiently to put up with the sound.

#49 ·
Welcome, yuri-m, and thank you for your very interesting first post.

Unfortunately, as I am certain you know, the sound of satellite radio remains dreadful even if one possesses the best possible receiver and decoding equipment. The signal is highly compressed is no better than a low bit-rate eMPty3 - replete with all the compression artifacts, ghastly timbre, poor transients, etc.

Satellite radio sound is execrable at best. I have BMW's "best" setup and the sound remains unlistenable. I appreciate others may find it acceptable or value the programming sufficiently to put up with the sound.
Agreed. I've got the Premium Sound option and the navigation system (albeit in an F10) and the Sirius sound quality is notably inferior to FM radio. It's notably inferior to a well executed fart, truth be told. Unlistenable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#72 ·
Bluetooth to Pandora on high quality sound problem solved. Only reason for Sirius is the Howard stern show. Sound quality is noticeably terrible on all stations compared to xm and compared to fm/am. It would be to the benefit if Sirius to offer full quality streams via their website so they don't lose all business in the near future. The sattelite platform they are using is a dead technology.

#74 ·
True, but one problem: SiriusXM, especially Top-40, 20 on 20, The Highway, and BPM are trend setters and offer an invaluable value via their programming and DJs on what's up and what's next in the FM world. Thus listening to them is a must for those in the industry. Pandora, no doubt, is a superior jukebox. No argument there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.