BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation Maps Update for $500

13K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  737flyer 
#1 ·
I would like to get the latest version of the navigation maps. The price that I was quoted was approximately $500 with the maps, installation and tax. If this is correct, it is really outrageous.

#45 ·
Maps are data; they don't contain any logic. If the map update includes new streets that allow the logic in the nav system (firmware) to make better routing choices, the the routing will be better. In this case the system has more information to work with. But a map update won't change the ways that the system makes it routing decisions.

#46 ·
Not correct.

The map data also indicates possible routes, two ways vs. one ways, average speeds, and data for which way is faster, etc.

So yes, the map data can have an effect on routing.

#47 ·
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/

This is where I bought my maps and FSC code. It is a TomTom company authorize by BMW. On that web page is a place to submit map changes.

Close to my house there is an intersection that the maps must indicate no left turn. So it wants to take me through the intersection and do a turn around and come back and make a right turn.
I submitted a change thru this site. I got a confirmation that they had received and two days later the a change had been made.

In answer to some others questions this maps error caused incorrect routing!

Unforetunely we will not see that change on our maps for another year.

#50 · (Edited)
They offer only CCC DVD based software, not CIC Hard Drive software.

So, for those with CIC, it's:

1) Pay $250 to BMW / Tom Tom,
2) Use fscmap.com
3) Download it for free, and see "The FSC Code Man" for $50.

2 and 3 though are basically one in the same though.

#51 · (Edited)
Map update

2011 BMW 528i
Just did my update today for under $100. It's real easy. Find the map on the web. For the newer cars like mine you can only update via USB card using the port in the glove box. DVD's will not work. You will need to find a activation code.
I put a 10amp battery charge on. Turned ignition on . Put flash card in . Go to nav-options and software update page pops up in 15-60 sec. Enter activation code, about 50mins to install.
updated to 2013 1A North American Premium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.