BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2 Series Gran Coupe is being fast tracked to launch in 2015

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Chris90 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2 Series Grand Coupe

From BMW insiders Scott26 there is news that the 2 Series Gran Coupe is being fast track to launch in 2015.

Yes the 2 Series might be behind the CLA and the A3 Sedan. But as the 6 Series Gran Coupe showed that it can be worth the wait. The 4 Series and 2 Series Gran Coupe will not be any different. With the 2 Series Gran Coupe now fast tracked for 2015 , BMW intend to make the gran entrance in this segment, the appearance will not just be what counts. With a greater emphasis on dynamics and typical BMW character.

If you read some of the reviews of the CLA there is some ride and dynamic issues that have been picked up by the media.

BMW are pushing the Coupe to retain the benchmark for the compact segment in every way possible. The 1 Series coupe was the entry to the BMW Sport Coupe, 2 Series will be the entry to the RWD BMW with the advent of the 1er eventually switching drivetrains.

BMW are fully aware of the potential of this car and indeed the Coupe , For the current hiatus BMW see the Coupe to hold the CLA and A3 at bay until the arrival of the Gran Coupe.
BMW 2 series gran coupe rendering

An M235i Gran Coupe => where do I sign???? I like the F30 a lot, but prefer something a little smaller, so I'm holding out for this.

Read more about the 2 Series Gran Coupe and post what you think

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Does anyone know when in 2015 for 2 series Grand Coupe? I need to order in January for a lease replacement and GC looks great!

#8 ·
I wouldn't put much stock in that, BMW isn't going to confirm a new model til it's official.

We haven't seen any mules yet, so it's probably 2 years away, not one, if they're making one.

#6 · (Edited)
Timing is everything......having given up on my clear first choice of a 2GC based on that BMW Board of Directors member's comments a couple of months ago, just last week I ordered the '15MY coupe, willing to compromise on my preference for easy rear seat access! Now, this! :mad:

I guess I could flip my order to a lease vs. a buy and make the transition easier in 24 months. I've never leased before....any thoughts on the relative economic merits versus trading the coupe in at about the same two year time?

EDIT: Just reviewed Hyperzulu's comment....is this a repeat of old news, or very new news???

#11 ·
The 4GC looks very useful. I love the hatch. The 228 that I will order comes in at $45K, so jumping to a 4GC is a small step up. I need a test drive in a 228 to confirm that it is lots more fun than my 428. I really do enjoy the 428.

#13 ·
Don't enjoy the thuds of stuff flying around in a trunk, especially a computer and projector! Having to tie them down each time is a pain compared to easily tucking them in the rear footwells.

#16 ·
Seems like good points on both ends. No leaks to prevent holdouts, perhaps, but why miss out on market share? BMW can just as easily lose out from 2 series prospects who want four doors but don't want the 3... as well as 3 series owners looking for something to downsize, going to Audi or MB instead.

#17 ·
Much of what drives decisions is plant capacity, build mix flexibility, costs for incremental capacity, and vehicle margin. I was a Product Planner for a domestic...the logic in my earlier post represents the kind of thinking which goes on. BMW jumping into other niche segments was each based on a individual business case and what open capacity they had. A top hat (body-in-white/sheetmetal) on a common platform which can add incrementality to fill a plant is hugely profitable, even at modest volumes. Their earlier behavior won't necessarily be predictive of the outcome of a 2CG analysis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.