BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auxilary Oil Cooler N55 F10

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  wildcardz 
#1 · (Edited)
While I was at the dealer I noticed a non sport 535i had a strange thing attached to the oil filter housing. I had seen this before on a 3 series and knew it was a heat exchanger. I looked at my car and noticed, a thermostat and oil lines connecting to an auxiliary oil cooler near the passenger front end. After looking at several 535i's, it looks like certain models come with an auxiliary oil cooler, while others don't.

So What? You may ask. While it doesn't seem material at this point. In the previous models, engines without oil coolers were not upgradable to receive the BMW Performance Power Kit which BMW may introduce in the future to N55 owners.

Heat Exchanger:

*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>
09 11427525333 HEAT EXCHANGER
*******> ********>

AuxiliaryOil Cooler:

*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>
09 11427573051 THERMOSTAT HOUSING WITH THERMOSTAT
*******> ********>

See less See more
#2 ·
Same thing was true on my friends 135i. He lucked out because he had the M Package and it came with the extra oil cooler and a few other items that made it possible for an inexpensive performance upgrade. If not for that, it would have been difficult to upgrade.

#3 ·
Miamiboyca, what "few other items" would make it possible for an inexpensive performance upgrade?

My 2012 535i Msport has the oil cooler which leads to a radiator behind the left front bumper mesh. There also appears to be a radiator behind the right front bumper mesh. Is this the auxiliary cooler for "hot climate" vehicles?

#4 ·
Since its not my car, I can not speak to it intelligently, but sounds about right. Don't know that is anything to do with hot climate, he lives in a pretty cold climate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.