BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is The 2014 Nav Update Worth Doing?

156K views 2K replies 517 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 · (Edited)
I am pretty well satisfied with the Nav system in my 2012 535xi. Luckily I have had only minor issues, and none of the horror stories others have seen.

I received an email offer from TomTom for a $245 update to my nav system. I hate to change something that's working pretty well for an unknown new outcome. And, while $245 is not cheap, I would do it if I thought the results would be worth it.

I know there is another current thread with many well-justified complaints about the nav system, but there aren't many comments one way or another about whether the update is worth while.

I would appreciate learning if those of you who have done the 2013 update have found the improvements worth while.

#2 ·
I updated my 2011 528i... Purchased the update from Tischer. It's very easy to do. While I don't have firsthand knowledge of the 2012 maps, I generically think every other year is enough. Compared to the 2011 maps, it looks as though they've done a better job of showing street names in a readable way. I still think the daytime contrast is not good due to the gray background.

#3 ·
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Looks like not much other Bimmerfest experience with this 2013 TomTom Nav update to report yet.

#5 ·
Sounds good to me. How do you do that?

#7 ·
I am pretty well satisfied with the Nav system in my 2012 535xi. Luckily I have had only minor issues, and none of the horror stories others have seen.

I received an email offer from TomTom for a $245 update to my nav system. I hate to change something that's working pretty well for an unknown new outcome. And, while $245 is not cheap, I would do it if I thought the results would be worth it.

I know there is another current thread with many well-justified complaints about the nav system, but there aren't many comments one way or another about whether the update is worth while.

I would appreciate learning if those of you who have done the 2013 update have found the improvements worth while.
So is this an update to the map...separate from BMW? It might be well worth it. How does it work...via CD I assume?

#8 ·
No. TomTom is the provider of BMW Map software. The 2013 Update is done via a USB Drive and completely replaces your existing version.

#9 ·
To add to Shawn's comments...it's not different than what BMW offers. The maps ship to you via USB if ordered from BMW versus getting them 'online'. What the dealerships make money on is the FSC code that every CIC enabled idrive needs and this is what you get at a discounted price. All you need is a Paypal account, $50 bucks and a 32gb USB drive :)

#261 ·
Am I reading this thread correctly?

BMW sells Nav map updates for roughly $250.

For $50, a hacker will crack the Nav FSC code for your car and show you how to download and install pirated Tom Tom maps?

I don't see this as getting a discount, rather paying someone to help you steal software.

Also, no one is concerned about downloading pirated map software from an untrusted Internet site? :tsk:

#12 ·
#31 ·
Shawn,

Could you please also send me the details via PM?

Thank you

#36 ·
Shawn, can you please pm me the info

#45 ·
It will work for any Navigation System, and any Region. When you order your FSC Code, you must specify your Navigation System (CIC HIGH Premium), CIC - MID MOVE, or HU - Champ Motion, and your Map region (Europe, North America, Arabian Gulf, China, etc.).

If you have 609 Navigation, you have CIC HIGH Premium.

PM sent.

#43 · (Edited)
Is there something special I have to do to get the USB version of this working? Maybe my car is to old do this via USB. It is a 2009 328i xDrive.

http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=A646173

Type
Value
VIN WBAPK53529A646173
Type code PK53
Type 328XI (USA)
E series E90 (MUE)
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N51
Displacement 3.00
Power 172
Drive ALLR
Transmission AUT
Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)
Prod.date 2009-07-29

Thanks in advance!

It looks like the car should just see the USB drive and ask to update:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664414&highlight=usb+map

It is not doing that. I am going to try and reformat the USB stick(FAT32) and put the files back on. I am just dragging the files to the USB drive, so I don't know if there is a better way to do that or not.

#44 · (Edited)
Is there something special I have to do to get the USB version of this working? Maybe my car is to old do this via USB. It is a 2009 328i xDrive.
Your 2009 map was made by a different company (NavTeq) which is way better than Tom Tom IMHO.

#52 ·
I am going to start all over again on placing the maps in the USB thumb drive. I transferred the data with a MAC, so I will try to get a Windows machine to get the data to the drive. I will do all of the reformatting and such also.

I appreciate the help.

I will let you know what happens, go or bad.

Thanks!

#53 ·
Thanks

Thanks you to Shawn :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:for the help and patience he provided. Maps are upgraded and they now reflect road changes in my area. Even though my car is a 2012, and the road was completed and opened in 2010, the map on my car was way out of date IMO. This is not a minor backroad I'm referring to. Anyways thanks again.

Can anyone get rid og the so-so graphics and grey information boxes:D

#54 ·
Hi Shawn, could you PM me the details on how to get this upgrade?

Thanks!

#56 ·
PM sent.

Alex, you are close enough that you can come by my office in Katy and borrow my Thumb Drive if you don't want to deal with the download and copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.