Votes: 44 32.1%
  • Black Sapphire Metallic

Votes: 93 67.9%

Jet Black Vs. Black Sapphire Metallic.

30K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  Grentz 
#1 ·
Vote please, this is my final poll on colors. :bigpimp:

#39 · (Edited)
Depth means deepness in color which I believe you can only find it in true black color and not a color with sparkles. Of course this is when it is clean.

It doesn't matter if your car is jet black or sapphire black (metallic), you will still see swirls if you get a bad car wash. This whole talk about swirls less visible on sapphire black is just :p :tsk: ...... doesn't make sense that much. The difference between these two colors is minimal when it comes to maintainability. Black sapphire is not true black but a greyish-black. That's how I look at it. If you want a black car, go with jet black and if you want a greyish-black car go with sapphire black. Again, they'll both show swirls if washed incorrectly. Also I still tend to believe that they have the same layers of clear coats, although the sapphire black will have a layer of flake coats and the layer of clear coats in sapphire black will anyway be above the flake coats. At least that's what I can make of.

A picture can speak a thousand words. It's a black sapphire metallic Bimmer with swirls.

Attachments

#40 ·
It doesn't matter if your car is jet black or sapphire black (metallic), you will still see swirls if you get a bad car wash. This whole talk about swirls less visible on sapphire black is just :p :tsk: ...... doesn't make sense that much.
Check out the picture. It's a black sapphire metallic Bimmer with swirls.
I have to respectfully disagree. I park next to a jet black 740 at work. When both vehicles are clean there is definitely a difference under the lights in the parking garage. The other owner even made the comment to me that he wished he had gotten the Sapphire because it hides imperfections better.

The explanation is simple. There is nothing in the jet black to diffuse the light. It's like a polished mirror. Any micro-scratch is going to refract the light differently from the polished surface and be easily visible. The metal flakes are already refracting light in different directions. The refraction from a micro-scratch tends to blend into this. They are still visible because they are uniform and not random. However, they aren't as visible and you have to look closer.

Obviously, the deeper and denser the scratches, the more visible they become. No color can completely hide swirl marks, but they are less visible on some colors than others, and are generally less visible on metailc paints than on non-metalic.

#45 ·
The clear coat is the same on both, which is where the swirl marks exist. I think the impression of the jet black being softer is due to the issues I described above. Very light swirl marks are more visible on the jet black than they are on the Sapphire. I could be wrong, but that makes sense to me.

Seriously, I get the sense that you really want the jet black. If that is true then go ahead and get it. If you are that passionate then you are probably willing to put in the effort to keep it looking great.

#51 ·
I went Jet Black - no regrets. As others have said it looks GREAT when clean but tough to keep clean.

#52 ·
any dark color is tough to keep clean then why not get the deepest and shiniest of them, ie black or sapphire black, for now i am delaying my purchase, i am also looking at is350. i thought it handled way better than 3 series. the loose power steering was the best handling aspect...... :bigpimp: you guys can still vote and poll on here...

#62 ·
#64 ·
I have a jet black 335i for about 37k miles when I sold it. At 37k miles, the hood and bumper is full of tiny chips about 0.5mm in diameter. Everywhere. I just bought a CPO 535i with black sapphire metallic at 28k miles. The hood and front bumper is absent of any smaller chips. The only chips that show are like 1mm in diameter or bigger, and there are less than 10 such chips in total. Perhaps the driving styles are different but this leads me to think that black sapphire metallic seems more durable than jet black.

#69 · (Edited)
I get my car detailed from a professional licensed dealer (probably the best in SD) and he's dealt with tons of bmws/benz/audis/porsches etc. you name it.. According to him, it is pretty much the same hardness. The hardness on your paint could differ though depending on the plant/factory where you car got painted... BTW, for all 2009s, the paint hardness has become better for both metallic/non-metallic BMW paint..

Those paint chips can be caused by multiple reasons...

#68 · (Edited)
I think my cars speak for themselves....Jet Black all the way!

Jet Black is BLACK. It is deeper and shines better than Black Sapphire when clean. Black Sapphire looks like it has a haze to it when it is clean and is not nearly as deep. Black Sapphire also can look greyish in different lights and angles...Jet Black just looks BLACK. Sorry but saying Jet Black does not shine like BSM is a bit stupid...even on delivery I saw a BSM next to my JB 335 and my Jet Black was WAY deeper and shinier (both were cleaned up for delivery). Jet Black is also easier to repair if you do get a scratch or ding.

I have seen the two side by side many times and it is always the same. Both are very good looking though IMO. I really do like BSM as well as JB.

The flake is just in the paint, not an extra step necessarily. Both hold up about the same and both swirl the same from what I have seen. The metallic does hide light dirt a tiny bit better though (since the metallic looks like light dirt on its own at times :p )

Jet Black is like every other non-metallic shade...dull and boring:tsk:
Then that must make BSM horrible looking and like matte? Jet Black is shinier and deeper than BSM when prepped properly...people have gotten way too into "metallic" IMO, it looks great on some colors but there are non-metallics that look amazing as well.

#67 ·
After owning an SB car now for almost a year I see a need long term for an orbital polisher so thinking of a Porter Cable.

My car has maybe 30% use on highways. I also have a clear bra.

First car I have used Zaino with and have to say it protects the clear and paint very well in even in winter conditions.

#75 · (Edited)
So the Jet black vs. BSM battle continues... :D

I request BSM owners to post some reflection shots.

#79 · (Edited)

Attachments

#80 ·
I suspect champdude has either gotten his car, or given up by now.

Having owned black cars before, I think it's the best looking colr for most cars, when clean and in good condition. But it is the worst color for showing dirt and swirls. I agree when Denziun though (see, it does happen sometimes ;)), the metalic isn't a heck of a lot better as far as swirls. I sure have to put a lot of effort to keep my Monaco Blue swirl free. I also park next to a pretty new BSM 135 at work, and I already see swirls on it. But I know he is nowhere near as anal about his car as I am :)

#81 ·
I suspect champdude has either gotten his car, or given up by now.

Having owned black cars before, I think it's the best looking colr for most cars, when clean and in good condition. But it is the worst color for showing dirt and swirls. I agree when Denziun though (see, it does happen sometimes ;)), the metalic isn't a heck of a lot better as far as swirls. I sure have to put a lot of effort to keep my Monaco Blue swirl free. I also park next to a pretty new BSM 135 at work, and I already see swirls on it. But I know he is nowhere near as anal about his car as I am :)
:thumbup: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.