BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

3m/Stone -guard package at dealer’s expense

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  scar 
#1 ·
I have to pick up my 2012 X5 3.5 M-sport this week. Unfortunately, when the car entered production I found out that the m-sport package has a major problem with the paint chipping. The car has to be protected with 3m/stone guard package from day one. My CA, as expected, did not agree to anything and promised to talk to his manager. In my opinion, it is cheaper for BMW to install this protection at their expense rather than repaint rocker panels, fender flares, etc. and have an unhappy customer. Has anyone tried to get this protection at dealer’s expense before the pick up? Any help, advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
If I was a bmw dealer, I'd tell the whiny customer to pound sand when they demand BMW or the dealer repaint the car because they were too stupid to realize painted parts exposed to road debris will chip.

You need to understand that the dealer and BMW are entirely different pocketbooks- The dealer couldn't care less if BMW has to pay for repainting later on. In fact, if BMW agrees, they will make some money on the service!

Turn don't the car, get a real sports car without gaudy painted crap vulnerable to road rash...or order a different car...or pay for it yourself/

My 'advice'

#3 ·
I have to pick up my 2012 X5 3.5 M-sport this week. Unfortunately, when the car entered production I found out that the m-sport package has a major problem with the paint chipping. The car has to be protected with 3m/stone guard package from day one. My CA, as expected, did not agree to anything and promised to talk to his manager. In my opinion, it is cheaper for BMW to install this protection at their expense rather than repaint rocker panels, fender flares, etc. and have an unhappy customer. Has anyone tried to get this protection at dealer's expense before the pick up? Any help, advice is appreciated.
My advice is to buy this yourself.

#4 ·
Rock chips are part of life when vehicles are driven. No use placing the blame on anyone else... get the Stone Guard on your own dime if you want it.

- Mike

#5 ·
I have to pick up my 2012 X5 3.5 M-sport this week. Unfortunately, when the car entered production I found out that the m-sport package has a major problem with the paint chipping. The car has to be protected with 3m/stone guard package from day one. My CA, as expected, did not agree to anything and promised to talk to his manager. In my opinion, it is cheaper for BMW to install this protection at their expense rather than repaint rocker panels, fender flares, etc. and have an unhappy customer. Has anyone tried to get this protection at dealer's expense before the pick up? Any help, advice is appreciated.
I'm just curious -- where did you hear that the M-sport pkg has "major problem with paint chipping"? I'd not heard this before. Are the M-sport pkg panels made from different material than the non-M-sport? In my experience with non-M-sport X5s, the panels tend to chip less than any other BMWs I've owned. Oh, also, don't tailgate trucks on the highway, and the number of stone chips goes way down! :)

#7 · (Edited)
This makes no sense.

BMW uses the same paint, paint process, bumper material as all the other cars. Why would an X5 be any different?:dunno:

Perhaps a few new owners driving their M trucks a little fast on sandy roads? :dunno:

The links above claim there is an issue by an initial post of someone claiming to be getting ready to purchase an X5 and is concerned about paint chips. The threads are not about a paint problem per se.

#8 ·
"No sense"?????????

Every car's aerodynamics are different. How could you POSSIBLY think that using the same materials on different car shapes would mean this cannot occur?

#11 ·
Yes, it happens only to the M sport package. Just look at the links that I have posted here. This problem starts right away and it's very noticeable at 500 miles or less if you drive in the North East. After 2000-3000 miles wheel arches, rocker panels, etc. have to be repainted. Even BMW of NA has acknowledged the fact that there is a problem. That is how they came up with the stone guard kit with 3m film. However, they don't install it at the factory. It looks like most dealers don't want to install if for free but all of them repaint the car and install this kit after the damage is already done. It doesn't make sense to me.

#14 ·
I just picked up the same vehicle and had 3M Ventureshield applied to the above noted areas. The wider fender flares on the 3.5 MSport (painted, in this case) are susceptible to chipping from debris thrown off the front tires (a small area behind rear tires is also vulnerable); particularly if you kept the 20s and didn't downsize. It makes sense that more debris on the road (like winter sand/salt application) will accelerate this issue. For those not familiar, we're not talking about typical debris chips on the front, hood and mirrors. Photos that I've seen show something resembling sand blasting...which I suppose is exactly what is occurring. To ARD's point this is an expected side effect of this design. On the flip side one might ask why doesn't BMW remedy this issue if it is 'expected'? Either way, I wasn't waiting for someone else to fix the issue. Good luck.

#16 ·
"The wider fender flares on the 3.5 MSport (painted, in this case) are susceptible to chipping from debris thrown off the front tires (a small area behind rear tires is also vulnerable); particularly if you kept the 20s and didn't downsize. "
Okay, that's a different situation... and I think the automaker is to blame if it is a "design" flaw like that.

My 930 has its famous "shark fins" on the rear quarter panels to keep debris from the front tires hitting them and causing damage.

- Mike

#13 ·
I had the 3M stone guard material placed on the aft, lower section of the rear doors and rear fender and wheel well moldings soon after delivery by the folks who applied the window tint all around. My X5 has the Sport Activity package with the 20" wheels, so I think it does need the extra protection provided by the 3M material. I had the work done at my cost, not the selling dealer or BMW.

I DID NOT expect my selling dealer or BMW to pay for it and neither should you.:p

#15 ·
I still don't see how an automaker should be responsible for rock chips and nicks on a front fascia...

Way back in the 80's and early 90's, automakers were experimenting with new flexible urethane paints for front fascias. Unfortunately, the paint would fade at a different rate in the sun. A real PITA, and a nightmare that caused more than a few automakers to repaint some bumpers.

But rock chips?

- Mike

#19 ·
When i bought my X5 4 months ago the dealer was charging $1400 for the hood guard, not even sure if it was full bumper kit. I bought the pre-cut ventureshield film (apparently easier to work with than 3M film) for less than $400 and did it myself. I also did all fender flares & rocker panel on both sides and everythings good so far. I will try to attemp installing the lower bumper kit soon i've got a feeling this one will be hard to install since its a one piece kit.

#20 ·
I would not drive an M Sport in areas where they use sand and salt on the roads. Here in LA its fine. I installed Clear Bra,( I think 3M calls it Scotchguard) not Venture Shield on my 50 M Sport. They installed it on the lower corner of the Rear Doors, the front of the Rear Wheels Flares and the corner turn in on the Lower Rocker Panel. The installer showed me the Venture Shield. It is much thinner and more flexible, so he only uses it in hard to get areas. He told me the Clear Bra ( Both are now owned by 3M he said) is a much stronger product. He used computer generated pieces for the Doors, the rest he custom made. Total Cost was $125.00. It has been on now for almost 2 1/2 Years and works great.

#21 ·
I got the full 3M package within a few days of delivery based upon what I read here. The rear flares take it hard. I can see divots in the plastic but the paint still looks great. Cost me 1350 installed and well worth it. Never thought of trying to get somebody else to pay - I just like to keep it looking good. Sort of like regular detailing.

#22 ·
I paid around $750 for the entire front end, front half of the hood, rear flares, mirrors, door edges and behind the door handles to get 3M from the dealer. Still had a rock go through the 3M and and mess up the paint on the top of the bumper on my first real road trip, going to have it looked at next week when I have it in for service.

#24 ·
I was hot for the painted flares and knew they were vulnerable. So the thicker 3m film was part of the plan from the git go. The alternative was mud guards, which might also look okay too. But I wanted a cleaner look (I opted for no running boards - which would probably go better with mud guards). Anyway, there were like 30+ pieces including some big ones for nose. With the thick film it was very hard to handle. Installer I used was experienced with the product and did a lot of wrestling to get it on.

Note I took delivery in November of last year and the work was done inside a heated shop. Brought up to temperature overnight, took nearly a day to install, and sat inside for another day. Even still a few days later, remember it was cold - installer was located at bottom of attitash mtn, some edges feathered out. Residual water underneath suspected. Anyway, 3m and installer stood behind product and labor. Entirely replaced the 30 pieces, no charge.

Did it removal on a hot day last August and the old came off without ant paint.

Anyway, very happy with product, installer and results. No chips anywhere at 28xxx miles.

Pm me if you want installer details. He is in North Conway, NH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.