BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

[BSW] E90/E92 Sedan and Coupe Base Audio Stage 1 Availiable

14K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  99wolfie 
#1 ·
BMW E90/E92 Sedan and Coupe Base Audio Stage 1 Available - Sale Pricing

BSW is proud to announce our newest addition to the Stage 1 Speaker upgrade family. Starting in model year 2010 BMW decided to sneak in a true "Standard Audio" system in the US Market. Something we have not seen in a 3 Series since the BMW E30. A simple system, labeled as "Base Audio", comprised of only 4 midrange drivers and underseat subwoofers. Needless to say the resulting sound is not stellar. Most salesmen did not know this was happening so many BMW 3 Series owners are left wondering what they can do to enjoy the audio in their BMW. What can you do with no tweeters?

BSW Can help! What we have done with our BSW Stage 1 for Base Audio 3 Series is offer the full package including tweeters, mounts and wiring. This will bring the system up to a more complete system with four midranges and four tweeters. BSW has removed the guess work with our matched drivers while including all the necessary parts to create an OEM quality install while also including an upgrade in sound quality. This package will include our latest and greatest BSW designed and built drivers which are backed by not only our 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee but an industry leading 4 year warranty!

Pricing is set at 589.99 for Base and HiFi Audio. With that said all packages are currently 70 dollars off with free shipping. No codes. No special deals. No combo packages. No red tape. 70 dollars off right now on the website(links below).

Plug n' Play!
Features plug and play connectors on each speaker, so all you have to do is remove your original speakers then mount and plug the new ones in.

Engineered for your BMW
It's direct fit speaker replacement -- and each speaker's efficiency and impedance are tuned for perfect harmony with the factory amplifier and head unit.

Reasonable cost, incredible resultsTruly enjoy your BMW's stereo without breaking the bank. Even though it's affordable, the Stage one provides real, significant improvements in sound quality.

Do-It-Yourself Installation
Includes step-by-step instructions with photos. An afternoon with your BMW and basic tools is all you'll need.

Questions? Comments? Feel free to post, Private Message or E-Mail! Or call of course!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/594/174/BMW-Speakers-Upgrade-3-Series-M3-E90/

See less See more
#2 ·
E90 Base System - no tweeters

My 2011 335xi has no tweeters or tweeter housings on the front doors or anywhere else. Where and how do the Stage 1 tweeters get installed? Does BSW provide new door molding to house the tweeters? Is the car pre-wired for the additional tweeters? Can you provide a link to the installation instructions or video?

Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
My 2011 335xi has no tweeters or tweeter housings on the front doors or anywhere else. Where and how do the Stage 1 tweeters get installed? Does BSW provide new door molding to house the tweeters? Is the car pre-wired for the additional tweeters? Can you provide a link to the installation instructions or video?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same question. The instructions show existing tweeter housings being replaced. Any clarification from a BSW rep?

#4 ·
You only have 15W (OEM HU) or 25W (iDrive) max output per channel to work with in the base (6-speaker) system.

Replacing the OEM speakers without an amp is not going to be significant upgrade, especially when you are adding more load to an already lackluster power output.

#5 ·
I've had the BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade installed in my 2010 335d with BASE audio (6 speaker w/iDrive) for about two months now. I'm no audiophile, but the BSW speaker upgrades made a significant improvement in sound quality. The kit includes front and rear tweeters, which were not included in the base audio system for '10 E90's, so I'm sure that accounts for some of the improvement by itself. At normal listening volumes across a wide range of muisc types the improved sound quality is very noticable. It's really sad that BMW would sell a $50k+ car with such as lackluster system to begin with, but from my perspective the BSW kit makes the best of it for someone (like me) who wants a relatively simple (more or less) plug and play upgrade. I should also add that I ordered the optional sound deadening material and applied liberally to the door panels during installation. The installation itself was pretty easy, although having to reference multiple sources for the complete installation instructions (web/PDF, YouTube, printed supplements) was not ideal, as it's been awhile since I've done any interior DIY-type work and I didn't want to make any stupid mistakes.

-Graham

#11 ·
... BSW speaker upgrades made a significant improvement in sound quality. ...
Graham,
Does the system now play loud enough so you could roll down the windows at 80mph and still hear the music? Are the vocals crisper with the tweeters?

...Would sound improve even without the amp? ...
Halston,
Since the original factory stereo was underpowered, why did the BSW team develop this speaker system without an amp to help with volume? Is BSW working on another system for our E90s that include an amp?
Thanks on the feedback.

#13 ·
Graham,
Does the system now play loud enough so you could roll down the windows at 80mph and still hear the music? Are the vocals crisper with the tweeters?
It hasn't been windows-down kinda weather around here since I installed the upgrade and the 335d doesn't get to go out in the snow, but I took it out for a ride last night and tried it out with the windows down at highway speeds. And the answer to your question is a qualified "yes"! You'll still be at or close to max. volume, but in most cases it should sound a lot less like a muffled alarm clock radio and more like how a decent car audio system should sound.

The one exception I ran across is some (but not all) very low freq. bass (like deep House tracks) still sounds muddled at anything above about 50% volume. But vocals and upper/mid's are definitely improved, and my guess is the bass and volume constraints are related to your question below. I would have bought an upgraded amp and sub if they were available, but I'm still very happy with the improvements over the base system with just the Stage 1 upgrade at this point.

-Graham

Halston,
Since the original factory stereo was underpowered, why did the BSW team develop this speaker system without an amp to help with volume? Is BSW working on another system for our E90s that include an amp?
Thanks on the feedback.

#14 ·
Graham,
Thankyou on the sincere feedback. I am considering this Stage 1 BSW upgrade myself. I'm really not interested in a system that plays extremely loud, but clearly would like to get the stock system to sound less "alarm clock radio" like (great description) and more like the stock "Hi-Fi system" that should have come with this car. Being a bit louder would be a benefit, but not a need.....

Halston,
Please provide input......

#17 ·
BSW (Halston),

#18 ·
The system works off the OEM amp and sounds great. We have many happy customers, me included, that use it with no additional amplification. With that said we are working on a plug and play amp upgrade :)

#19 ·
Halston,
Thx. At this time, I will wait on the result of the PNP amp system. It seems a PNP amp system with upgraded speakers would be the best path for the money.

#20 ·
Don't hold your breath...the amp has been "in development" for about four years. Oh, and the speaker kit is backordered. I'm dealing with musicarnw.com right now. They sell upgrade kits with speakers and amps, but more importantly, a dsp to equalize the the head unit's output back to flat. Have a look at their website regarding the base 2010-early 2011 BMW audio system. http://www.musicarnw.com/e90-3-series-sedan-base-stereo-upgrades/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.