BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dension 500- GW51M02 (USB/ iPod/ iPhone) MP3 interface

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  First_745Li 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this particular digital iPod/ Iphone/ USB Flash Memory MP3 interface device has been covered multiple times in the past. However, every single thread that I closely followed through showed either user***8217;s incompatibility end result issues and/or lack of further product follow up stating whether the unit met expectations or not.

That said, I would like to tackle this integration system myself and I have a few questions. My goal is to have the unit with full Text-Display functionality and ultimately, have Back-Up Camera with the assistance of the Dension 500 accessory (Audio Video Router unit) through the dedicated reversing camera line input.

There is a compatibility chart provided by Dension that entails expected functionality on the E65/ E66 model year 2002-2008. This unit has text display on the iDrive (name of song, artist, album etc). Apparently, this feature is ONLY enabled with select 2005 and/ or newer E65/ E66 model. However, there is a different Dension unit (GWL1M01) that would function with non-text capable MMI head units.

I have the pre-facelift MMI head unit with Rear Entertainment. Also, I believe I have text capability on my iDrive since I have SiriusXF Satellite Radio already (name of song, artist, album etc is displayed). Thus, I am pursuing the Dension 500- GW51M02 in particular.

Anyway, I would like to get some insight on my 3 questions below from anyone who knows or has successfully had the unit installed;

1) There has been concern regarding Dual-iDrive based system not being supported. Does ***8216;Dual-iDrive***8217; refer to Rear Entertainment system iDrive and/or controller?
2) Apparently, the Audio Video Router (AVR) unit is only compatible with European Spec Cars. I believe the reason being their MMI unit having video in motion. Well, I have Video in Motion enabled and I wouldn***8217;t suspect having any issues with video signal processing at all. But I would like to confirm.
3) In respect to PDC functionality, if I have the reverse camera installed, will I still have the audio signal?

Thank you for your time***8230;***8230;..

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this particular digital iPod/ Iphone/ USB Flash Memory MP3 interface device has been covered multiple times in the past. However, every single thread that I closely followed through showed either user***8217;s incompatibility end result issues and/or lack of further product follow up stating whether the unit met expectations or not.

That said, I would like to tackle this integration system myself and I have a few questions. My goal is to have the unit with full Text-Display functionality and ultimately, have Back-Up Camera with the assistance of the Dension 500 accessory (Audio Video Router unit) through the dedicated reversing camera line input.

There is a compatibility chart provided by Dension that entails expected functionality on the E65/ E66 model year 2002-2008. This unit has text display on the iDrive (name of song, artist, album etc). Apparently, this feature is ONLY enabled with select 2005 and/ or newer E65/ E66 model. However, there is a different Dension unit (GWL1M01) that would function with non-text capable MMI head units.

I have the pre-facelift MMI head unit with Rear Entertainment. Also, I believe I have text capability on my iDrive since I have SiriusXF Satellite Radio already (name of song, artist, album etc is displayed). Thus, I am pursuing the Dension 500- GW51M02 in particular.

Anyway, I would like to get some insight on my 3 questions below from anyone who knows or has successfully had the unit installed;

1) There has been concern regarding Dual-iDrive based system not being supported. Does ***8216;Dual-iDrive***8217; refer to Rear Entertainment system iDrive and/or controller?
2) Apparently, the Audio Video Router (AVR) unit is only compatible with European Spec Cars. I believe the reason being their MMI unit having video in motion. Well, I have Video in Motion enabled and I wouldn***8217;t suspect having any issues with video signal processing at all. But I would like to confirm.
3) In respect to PDC functionality, if I have the reverse camera installed, will I still have the audio signal?

Thank you for your time***8230;***8230;..
Did you get any feedback on your three questions. I am currently have the GW51M02 installed in my 2006 BMW 750i and I want to be able to watch video on the front screen from my iPhone 5. Any advice on whether that is possible with the unit?

#3 ·
I sold my 7 a while ago. I never had a chance to pursue the project. My 7 had rear entertainment system so I managed to have the front iDrive play DVD without utilizing an aftermarket unit.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help. Just keep searching here and i'm sure you'll get the help that you need. Good luck.

#15 ·
Well, aside from the hijack of this post :) I did have the Dension 500 installed and subsequently removed from my 06. I don't have specific answers but the ipod integration didn't work well at all and couldn't get the video to work even a bit. There was an issue though, with my car, in that I didn't have the correct plug in the back of the radio unit for the video, it was missing a piece. I think, and i could be wrong, that you need to have a different head unit, maybe it's called a HIGH unit or PROFESSIONAL? I really can't remember, it was awhile ago. It might be that you need the unit that has the rear entertainment installed or at least as an option.

#16 ·
There is a high end shop down the road that I am friends with the owner.. they had an E65 in there a couple years ago trying to install this.. they went through absolute hell trying to get it to work correctly.. they actually called me and I was able to flash the box with an update from the website and we were able to get it to work.. if I remember right it bypasses the changer because you use the "CD's 1-6" to work it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.