BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Frozen Grey

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  filmoreslim 
#1 ·
Hi all, quick question (I tried to find this question in other posts, but couldn't see it), I keep seeing "frozen grey" as a color on M5's, and can't find it on the BMWUSA build site, is it available in the States? It is a sickkkk color... V/r, Tim.

#4 ·
FYI...after a tour of the Dingolfing plant, I learned just how frozen gray is accomplished. You pay more for less as all it is is gray without clear coat. Further, if you take that car through a car wash or rub it with a dusty cloth, you very easily permanently damage the paint. Think long and hard about that one first...

#12 · (Edited)
Let me say it another way. The car does not follow the normal process through the paint shop line into the clear coat kiln/oven. The matte clear coat is not baked on at Dingolfing.

They sell the paint as equally protective - maybe technically it protects the aluminum as well from oxidation and corrosion, however you'll destroy the look/finish if something is caked onto your car and you can't remove it chemically and need to rub it off.

I personally think it looks great but how are you going to go for a summer afternoon country drive and get the insects off without altering the intended color?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.