BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

3.0 Liter Turbo with 350 HP ?

3K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  drd_330i 
#1 ·
I'm reading the cover article about the E90 in the latest issue of Auto Motor & Sport.

Development of a 3.0 Liter Turbo engine with 350 HP is in the works. Hmmmm....

In addition to this the new engines will start from 170 hp and go up to 270 hp ;)

Another interesting (and sad, IMO) part in the article is that the E90 will be higher, wider and longer than E46, this is mostly based on the fact that the 1 Series will be the 'smaller' BMW. However, by using light materials they'll try to keep the weight. It's not saying whether it will be overall lighter or heavier.

The E90 will share most of the components with the upcoming 1 Series. This will make it possible for BMW to keep the pricing on the 1 Series low. (can't predict what low for BMW standards is)

Other new features : Electronical Parking Control (auto brake), Adaptive Headlights, 6 speed automatic and IDrive :eek:

And the E90 Cabrio is probably getting a retractable hardtop.

V8 for the M3 is also mentioned.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like the following lineup will likely be offered worldwide for gas engines...

320i, 2.2 liter inline 6 Double VANOS, 170hp
325i, 2.5 liter inline 6, 184-200hp (depending on Valvetronic making to this displacement)
330i, 3.0 liter inline 6, 225-250hp (see above)
345i/330ti?, 3.0 liter TURBO inline 6, 350hp
M3, 4.4 liter V-8, ~400hp?

The U.S. will probably get the 325/330/330ti variant along with the M3. Doesn't look like the lightweight, valvetronic v-8 with 275hp will make it to the 3 series?

By the way, the 350hp turbo inline 6 rumor has been floating around for almost a year now.

#3 ·
Interesting that you mentioned 4.4 V8 on the M3.

The E65 is getting a new 4.8 Liter V8 (400 hp), so I'm guessing that the 'old' 4.4 will find its place in the E90 M3.

#4 ·
Alex Baumann said:
Interesting that you mentioned 4.4 V8 on the M3.

The E65 is getting a new 4.8 Liter V8 (400 hp), so I'm guessing that the 'old' 4.4 will find its place in the E90 M3.
Doubt it. I don't think M cars ever used a previous generation engine on a new generation car. It'll probably be a high revving 4.4 liter V8 based on the same block but HIGHLY tuned.

I'd like to see a de-tuned and updated version of the GTR V8 make it back into the E90 M3 (or E92 M4) so PTG and Schnitzer can go back to whipping Porkchop butt in Le Mans. :mad:

#5 ·
"Another interesting (and sad, IMO) part in the article is that the E90 will be higher, wider and longer than E46"

Another inch or two or rear seat legroom would be really nice. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything about the car's dimensions.

"Other new features : Electronical Parking Control (auto brake)..."

Ack!! I wish mfg's would stop putting this useless crap in cars. It does 2 things:

-increase the cost of the vehicle (or force them to reduce the quality of some other part(s) if prices won't change)
-unintentionally cause drivers to become even lazier ("hey, I don't have to watch what I'm doing. The car will do the thinking for me"). When the act of driving no longer requires much driver input, we might as well start taking the freakin' bus. Enough said.

Edit: anyone else get the feeling that their current BMW will be the last BMW they will ever buy new?

#7 ·
ff

Now I'm scared to write the rest of the gadgets which are being planned on the upcoming models :D

what the hell, I'll write them, hehe :

Passing Assistant (monitoring the dead angle when passing/changing lane- led indicator on the mirrors)

Lane-Departure-Warning : a system which will (acoustically) warn the driver when the car (unintended) leaves the lane :confused:

#8 ·
Alex Baumann said:
ff

Now I'm scared to write the rest of the gadgets which are being planned on the upcoming models :D

what the hell, I'll write them, hehe :

Passing Assistant (monitoring the dead angle when passing/changing lane- led indicator on the mirrors)

Lane-Departure-Warning : a system which will (acoustically) warn the driver when the car (unintended) leaves the lane :confused:
STOP STOP!!! :cry: :cry:

When does the autopilot feature come out?

#10 ·
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
Great info, AlexB!

Got a feeling that this turbo engine is a joint venture with Alpina. Can you find out more? :eeps:
Did I mention that they are also planning a Bi-Turbo Diesel :eeps:

ASA ? :bigpimp:

#11 ·
ff said:

Edit: anyone else get the feeling that their current BMW will be the last BMW they will ever buy new?
Or, for that matter, used, unless it's really used.

#14 ·
cokray said:
At the risk of ff's head exploding, can somebody explain to me what Electronical Parking Control is/does? Just curious...
It automatically brakes when the bumper comes near to a certain distance when parking. (like continous beeping of the PDC)

#15 ·
Alex Baumann said:
It automatically brakes when the bumper comes near to a certain distance when parking. (like continous beeping of the PDC)
Weird. I love gadgets and all, but I fail to see how that is significantly useful. How about something useful, like a feature that inhibits rollback with manual transmissioned cars when launching on hills? (yeah, yeah, I know all about using the handbrake, but it's not an ideal solution) I've always wondered why such a thing does not exist. Seems like it would be really simple and much more useful (especially to those of us who deal with 25% grades and heavy traffic) than yet another parking assist device.

OK, I'm rambling now.

#16 ·
Alex Baumann said:
So, it's for people too stupid to listen to the continuous beeping?

#17 ·
cokray said:
How about something useful, like a feature that inhibits rollback with manual transmissioned cars when launching on hills? (yeah, yeah, I know all about using the handbrake, but it's not an ideal solution) I've always wondered why such a thing does not exist. Seems like it would be really simple and much more useful (especially to those of us who deal with 25% grades and heavy traffic) than yet another parking assist device.
My dad used to rave about such a feature on his old studebaker. I think it was called the hill brake, and it did exactly as you described. Surely a newer form of the technology could be developed. Until then, handbrake for me.

#18 ·
Alex Baumann said:
That's scary... let's think about that one... It would take the electonic braking system (ala MB current E-class) to pull that one off... I for one am not impressed with electronic actuated brakes regardless of how many "fail-safe" features they have. Also would seem that that nice brake feel we have now would be either muted or nonexistant. :dunno:

#19 · (Edited)
ff said:

It seems my ZHP may be my first and last BMW at this rate. :tsk:

With regard to the electronic brakes. I LOVE the new E-class and we were thinking of getting a used wagon of the new version in a few years for my wife, but this electronic intrusion into the most basic of driving actions may sway us to buy one from the previous generation.

#20 ·
mbr129 said:
It seems my ZHP may be my first and last BMW at this rate. :tsk:

With regard to the electronic brakes. I LOVE the new E-class and we were thinking of getting a used wagon of the new version in a few years for my wife, but this electronic intrusion into the most basic of driving actions may sway us to buy one from the previous generation.
Likely to be an off switch for it though. Must be tied into the PDC system for it to work. Don't order PDC, won't have auto parking brake. :dunno:

#21 ·
The HACK said:
Doubt it. I don't think M cars ever used a previous generation engine on a new generation car. It'll probably be a high revving 4.4 liter V8 based on the same block but HIGHLY tuned.

I'd like to see a de-tuned and updated version of the GTR V8 make it back into the E90 M3 (or E92 M4) so PTG and Schnitzer can go back to whipping Porkchop butt in Le Mans. :mad:
Isn't that high-revving, tuned version of the 4.4 the S62? :dunno:

#22 ·
I think the E65 already has a version of the auto brake where it will engage the brake when stopped or something (does it stil crawl forward when you let go? I dunno).

The lane departure warning is something the US government has actively wanted automakers to develop to keep sleepy drivers from drifting out of their lane, though I think it might not really make things safer since people will think they can drive when sleeping. DC is already putting them in trials into Freightliner rigs later this year.

The HillHolder thing is a feature some American cars had decades ago, and that Subaru has had on every MT-equipped car for 20+ years.

#23 ·
:mad: :mad: why do they keep making cars bigger! can't they just get people to buy the bigger 5er's :dunno: is it the obese people that keep asking for bigger cars. at this rate the toyota echo will soon be the size of a lincoln continental. :tsk:

#24 ·
Kaz said:
The HillHolder thing is a feature some American cars had decades ago, and that Subaru has had on every MT-equipped car for 20+ years.
I knew there was some company who still had them. Guess it's not a big deal to the 95% of manual drivers who don't deal with steep hills on a regular basis. But hey, if you're going to but useless features like parking brake assist in, why not this?

#25 ·
So you figure no four cylinder engine worldwide for the 3er?

The HACK said:
Looks like the following lineup will likely be offered worldwide for gas engines...

320i, 2.2 liter inline 6 Double VANOS, 170hp
325i, 2.5 liter inline 6, 184-200hp (depending on Valvetronic making to this displacement)
330i, 3.0 liter inline 6, 225-250hp (see above)
345i/330ti?, 3.0 liter TURBO inline 6, 350hp
M3, 4.4 liter V-8, ~400hp?

The U.S. will probably get the 325/330/330ti variant along with the M3. Doesn't look like the lightweight, valvetronic v-8 with 275hp will make it to the 3 series?

By the way, the 350hp turbo inline 6 rumor has been floating around for almost a year now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.