BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 4.4i N62 oil leak

41K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  xmanjack 
#1 ·
Help !

I started to notice pools of clean engine oil below my car a few weeks ago and after reading a few posts began to suspect valve cover gaskets. Feeling round the edge there was oil but did not seem much, anyway I went ahead and replaced the driver side gasket. Next day more oil on the floor. It is really difficult to see where it is coming from but seems to be dripping from ejre the oil cooler lines go into the block, however that may not be the source just a natural low drip point. Anyone have a list of common leak points on this engine. I feel that it must be on the pressure side as there is more oil that I would expect from a seeping top end gasket.

Any words of wisdom (I know I should take it to BMW but it hurts me) appreciated.

Thanks

Brian:cry:

#3 ·
the valve cover gaslet usually leaks very little oil, but the upper timing chain cover leaks more so check this, it's at the front of the engine block.
Did you check the oil filter housing as well.

If in doubt, I'll take it out the garage, presure wash the engine, maybe add dye to engine oil and see where the actually leaks coming from.
I hope you don;t have cranck-case oil separator problem, this one the leaks is at the firewall and drips onto transmission bell housing but happens to cars in very cold climate.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Hello,

i have a 545i n62 engine and i have the same problems that you have, there as oil leaking from valve cover, on the next days i will send the car to BMW to fix it, and, as far the mechanic telled to me, there a oil excessive pressure problem, but we dont have certain until the dismount of engine.

[]'s

#6 · (Edited)
DIY. Oil leak fix. I have a BMW x5 2005 4.4L v8 n62 motor. *I had an oil leak which appeared to be from the front left side of the motor. Turned out to be the rubber gasget seal fitted between the engine block and alternatour mounting bracket. Took me the better part of a day to replace. First i removed the alternator, then power steering *pump ( did not disconnect pipes, just moved forward out the way ), *then removed both sideshafts as the front diff obscures the leaking housing bolts. I undid the left engine mounting top nut to allow the engine to be jacked up 20mm. Jacked up the left side of the motor, allowing me to unbolt the front diff, the diff does not need to be removed, just pushed to the side a bit in order to gain access to the alternatour mounting bracket. Now finally i was able to undo the alternator mounting bracket, replace the hardened seal. I then reassemble in reverse order. Good luck. Greg
* 2005 x5 4.4
2005 645 ci convertable

#7 ·
There are 3 oil check valves in each cylinder head. They can be seen to the left and right of the intake port. They look like threaded plugs but they have torx heads. Their construction is bizzare to say the least. They have a threaded steel check valve on the end that screws into the head and the section that has the torx head is aluminum with an O ring. The O ring can fail or, as in my case, the aluminum section can separate from the steel section and leak rapidly. Emptied my crankcase in seconds. Hope this helps someone

#8 ·
Re-accuring oil leaks

My 2003 X5 4.4 started leaking some drops of oil last year with about 79K miles . After 4 visits to the dealer and about $3500 later, the leaks are back.About 5 months since last return.I think they changed every gasket on the engine and was dry for about 5 months up until now . Made an appointment for next week and will see what they try to hit me with this time.
I'm also thinking of adding a tow kit for a 20' boat..any idea of cost at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.