BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Test Drives So far...X5's "Pics and Videos"

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  5seriesHB 
#1 · (Edited)

Im just about there gang!:D
Oh but
Before we start i would like to make a public announcement to all the sensitive and sarcastic folks out there.. This has just been my experience so far and im am not looking to bash anyones vehicle if they happen to own any of the same kinds...Im an enthusiast just like you and a human being as well. Ok so having said that here we go.:thumbup:

Theres been a bunch of X5's driven by me all the way from Long Beach Ca to San Diego

From 2010 Msports to 2013 Msport 5.0 w the Performance Package and 19" Wheels
These were all 5.0's except the 2010 4.8.
PS have not been able to find a car with AD other than once again the 2010 Msport
unfortunately these are all basically minus AD, Wich i so want to test with the right variables.

Ill say a quick word about each......

2010 MSPORT 4.8 w "AD" "Titanium Silver".....Underpowered compared to the 5.0
So needs more torque to pull this 5k pound vehicle. I was not impressed with the performance even to red line.
especially coming from an Infinity fx45 that absolutely fly's and handles like its on rails w the small addition of a strut tower brace. "as i digress...LOL
The overall feeling of this vehicle was very heavy and really tight to steer. I know it has AD, but it felt overly difficult to maneuver This must be the AD. Although i have to say ive driven some high end AMGs before and unfortunately this X5 felt like a large piece of steel w loud sounding heavy closing doors. Not my cup of Tea
Could not wait to jump out of this vehicle. My least favorite in power and comfort in all the test drives

2012 X5 "sports Activity" 5.0 "Metalic Black" Video attached below!
Great everyday X5 although the drivers seat position is still a bit high for my liking.
A bit to loosy goosy in the steering dept and wheel movement. obviously a fast truck see video attached. this was not a highly optioned car...no soft close or heads up etc
although msrp was $73 when new, It was selling for $54K W 15K MILES down from $61k. They probably took $50k cause it was a red tag and there a month.

2010 x5M 555hp "Black"
A monster all around. Gears shifted a bit rough for me if i was going to use this vehicle for family and everyday driving around town. Not so impressed with the exhaust sound,the 5.0 is more throatier. Coming from the AMG i am not looking to do the all out racer truck with super high coasts after warranty is up.

2013 MSPORT AND M PERFORMANCE PACKAGE "Black"
Could get the entire feel for the extra HP because the wheels were the 19 and it felt very high up, at least more than i expected, even though its only Millimeters difference it felt so different than the 20" 333's
I could not tell there was 30 xtra torques even though people swear they can tell. To be fair im coming from a ML63 AMG and thats a tough truck to come out of regarding comparative HP/TQ . Most trucks/Suv's are going to feel slower and feel less powerful.
I might add the x5 5.0 blows the AMG away for the most part in Quality and overall feel.
I had the AMG 2 yrs and never could get used to sitting up so high in a truck. Tons of mechanical problems anyway. Mercedes repurchased the car from me "thank God".:freakdanc

2012 MSPORT "Space Grey" and also a "White" one
My favorite so far. Sits low and super fast. Sounds incredible in any range...purrrrsss:angel::bigpimp: Handled great, both had soft close with heads up display. Love both those options! This is the car im gunning for, definately want to test drive one last one with AD if i can find it. i found an 11 in SanDiego and if its still around after this weekend i go and see it.

Here is the videos of the MPerformance Package exhaust and then the 5.0 "Sports Activity"
0 to 95 mph
All the best
Rob

http://youtu.be/3jD8goJxjhg

http://youtu.be/jJ_f7aHCW8g

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Anybody have any thoughts on the post
Same experiences etc?
Maybe my disclaimer at the beginning of the post have people shying away from commenting
Lol
Rob

#4 ·
Good question

I remember "ard" mentioning in a previous thread that I wrote on a review of the 2013 msport w the pp
He mentioned that the difference between the 20 msport wheels and the 19" are slight
Which is correct yet it gave me a completely different ride feel ie: sitting up a bit higher in the vehicle. Seat adjustments are probably exact though.

We all know just a slightly different wheel or tire can have a dramatic affect is ride quality and or feel

I am smitten w everything about the msport w the 333 wheel, can't wait to drive one with the AD:bigpimp:

Just my opinion though!:thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
BMW Factory Wheel/Tire 19" vs 20"

Diameter 29" vs 28.7"

Sidewall 5.0" vs 4.3"

Circumference 91.2" vs 90.1"

Revs Per Mile 716 vs 724

So, the actual height difference is just three tenths of an inch (using the difference in diameter)

However, IMO, the perceived height difference could be more than this. One reason why I think the "perceived" height could be more on the 19" is the particular 19" tire could have been a little tippier than the 20". The sidewall of the 19" is 5.0" vs 4.3" - although this is only .7" it is .7" below the rim and .7" above the rim for a 1.4" difference in sidewall height, top to bottom. And, this is a 16% difference in sidewall height, which I believe is easily felt in the handling department.

I have the 19s, and although I love my 5.0 Sport AD, I do not like the wheel/tire setup - I don't think it is anywhere ideal (yet). I plan on "firming" up my car's handling with a) different tires on the 19s beginning with non run flat UHP Vredestein winter tires and b) purchasing 20s this spring.

In this case what is perceived is for all practical purposes, reality

#6 ·
Definitely go with the 20's
I don't think any 19's r going to satisfy ur thirst for the ultimate handling machine
In my opinion!
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.