BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Who's going to keep their 6er?

8K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  pablo645 
#1 ·
We see a lot of talk about running from our cars when the warranty is gone. I wanted to konw, who is keeping their car? How many miles do you have and what should we be looking out for?

I think the coolant pipe issuse, top not locked and the alternater oil leak are well known/documented for the 645. What else? How about the 650's?

My 2007 650i has 55,000. It has been out of warranty for 14 months. If I make it another 10 months without a major repair expense then I will have avoided the $3000 cost of the CPO warranty. So far I believe the only thing the warranty would have covered was a door sill light. Everything else I've spent has been on general maintainance.

My wife and I have typicaly driven our cars for a decade or so before giving them up. My thought is to do the same with this car. I do most of my own work, so maintainance is reasonable :rolleyes: She is in a 2011 325i. I won't be able to get her out of that car for quite a while. My Aviator is an 04 about to turn 100k...I'm keeping that one for a while too.

#2 · (Edited)
Hi what you read for any 6 series model up to the start of the F12/ F13 2011 onwards will be the same as the 645 and the 650 are 99.5% the same cars with mostly cosmetic upgrades throughout, same N62 Engine and transmission. In the UK and Europe we have the 3.0ltr and diesel models which have different reliability issues, but no where near the issues of the N62 engine.
Second point is not all cars will suffer the same symptoms and faults, some cars will have no issue whatsoever and run for long and happy miles. What gets reported on forums by their very nature will often air on the side of negative!!!! Some guys have hit 150K and no problems at all.
I do believe that their are real differences between countries and the model build that each country gets, as there are subtle differences......Also the extremes of climate can make a big difference.

#3 ·
Thought this update of the N62 took care of some of the early issues?

N62B44

The N62B44 is a 4,398 cc (268 cu in) version. Bore is 92 mm and stroke is 82.7 mm.[citation needed] Except for in the X5, it produces 245 kW (329 hp) at 6100 rpm and 450 N·m (330 lb·ft) at 3600 rpm.

Applications:
2001-2005 E65/E66 745i/745Li
2003-2006 E53 X5 4.4i- 235 kW (315 hp) at 6100 rpm and 440 N·m (320 lb·ft) at 3700 rpm
2003-2005 E60/E61 545i
2003-2007 E63/E64 645Ci
2005-2007 Morgan Aero 8 Series 2 and Series 3[2]

[edit] N62B48

The N62B48 has a displacement of 4,799 cc (293 cu in), a bore of 93 mm and a stroke of 88.3 mm.[citation needed] Except for in the X5, it produces 270 kW (360 hp) and 490 N·m (360 lb·ft).

Applications:
2003-2006 E53 X5 4.8iSA SAV- 265 kW (355 hp) at 6300 rpm and 500 N·m (370 lb·ft) at 3400 rpm
2003***8211;present Wiesmann GT MF4 / Roadster MF4
2005-2010 E60/E61 550i sedan and touring
2005***8211;present E63/E64 650i coupè and convertible
2005-2008 E65/E66 750i/750Li
2007***8211;present E70 X5 4.8i SAV- 265 kW (355 hp) at 6300 rpm and 500 N·m (370 lb·ft) at 3400 rpm
2008***8211;present Morgan Aero 8 Series 4 and AEROMAX

#5 ·
I love my car and cant really see myself without her. She has been without health insurgence since 2010 with no problems "Knock On Wood".
If i do get rid of her it will only be because I found another that excites me more the she does.
There usually younger, better looking and more capable and eager to please....

#6 ·
Planning on keeping it. Been out of warranty for 14 months as well. Drove it 1,200 miles from San Francisco to LA then down to San Diego and back to SF earlier this week. Perfect car for that drive.

#7 ·
I have my '07 for just a year now. I really like the style and I have no plans to change in the future. It's all I want in a car. I bought a 100k mile warranty to that should take me to at least 2015 for coverage.

My wife had an '06 530 and currently has the '12 528/F10. While the newer car has a bit of new styling, much better mileage, and is pretty peppy, it's basically the same car.

I think the same holds true for the 6er. I actually think over time our body style will gain in value, as the radical (at the time) styling is like an Armani suit. It won't look old or dated over time.

Anyone for a 3.0CSI? :bigpimp:

#12 ·
Actually a number of car journalists and pundits have stated that the 6 series E63/64 shape has real potential to become a classic in years to come, in the UK they state that it will be the one with the 3.0ltr engine variant, interesting really!!!!

#14 ·
I have had my 2004 645Ci C manual transmission for a month and ~1,000 miles.

It's a bit special because it only had 6,100 miles on it when I bought it.

The only thing I could find wrong was the blotchy auto-dimming rearview mirror (Donnelly!). I have had the glass replaced.

The ARS alerted but topping up with Pentosin in the reservoir seems to have addressed that.

The FTM has alerted a couple of times. I have added air and am keeping an eye on it. It did happen just as the ambient temperature dropped.

I have had it to the local BMW dealer and they can find nothing wrong with it. They changed the oil, flushed the brakes and coolant and enabled bluetooth, as well as performing the battery cable recall.

I have bought a 7 year, 70,000 mile FWS Platinum warranty, so we will see how that goes.

I bought four 19" elipticals from another forum member, so now I have eight, which according to the posts here, should last me about as many months! :eek:

I appreciate what I have learnt from the forum so far and will share my experience going forward.

#15 ·
Well I bought mine a, 2009 with 44k, and I have about 1.5 months to decide whether to by a BMW extended warranty. Its $3,300.00 and gets me to July 2015 or 100k miles. So far under warranty I havehad the idrive controller replaced (cosmetic excessive wear), the door sill, wiper motor, and left c pillar cover (pitting).

#17 ·
Me too. Just put in my living room. 20 or 30 years later, I'll proudly tell my grandkids that how I rolled back in the days. Just like my ex host father and his 69 charger.

#19 ·
I bought my 2010 new in Feb 2011. So far I have logged 41k miles with no real problems. Just put winter tires on and found out the original rubber will need to be replaced in the spring. It's been a rock so far with the only real issue was a trim piece that kept falling off from around the rear view mirror. I bought the extended maintenance but not the warranty as I drive about 25-30k a year and that just burns through the milage limitations way before the time allotments. It does seem like a lot of people due dwell on the "what if" scenarios about this car. Well wake up, when new it was not cheap, and like many other cars in this price range and higher some might have problems and some might not. If you can't imagine a big dollar repair then a warranty or a different car is for you. Machines are just that and no piece of paper is going to make it last any longer, but driving reasonably and doing proper maintenance when required by the OEM to me is a much better investment. I plan on keeping mine for many years to come as I think it is a great all around car for me. Just my thoughts...

#22 ·
I own a 04 645ci with 61,000 miles on it. I have not purchased any coverage for her. I figured since obama was re-elected that there was a good chance that the gov would cover any issues under some new obama care program. Just kidding. I plan on keeping it and have no plans on purchasing any coverage anytime soon. I guess I am rolling the dice but it is not my primary car and hope that nothing major comes my way. I agree with the other post that most things read on these forums are going to be negative. The reason I purchased the car besides the bad ass looks was I own a 323i that has 225,000 miles on it and I drive it everyday. If the 6 provides the same reliability I see no reason to purchase additional coverage.

#23 ·
I just bought a 2005 645CIC after my beloved 94 325I was totaled. The dealer offered a three year warranty, so I jumped on it. I too believe that really may not be a need for the warranty. My 325I had 187,000 on it before the accident and ran like a mother. I will say I didn't know what I was missing until I test drove this 645......I can never go back to a 3 series again, and to think I almost fell for a 2006 M3.
Larry

#26 ·
I agree. I think the 6er has a long lasting appeal to it. I really loved my 07' 650i coupe in Monoco Blue. If she would not have given me the problems she had I woudl still have her today. I really loved the looks and the way she felt on the road. Good luck to those of you that hold on to them. They are beautiful. I just worry abou the electronic dependancy not lasting as long as the car does. If they develop a replaceable control system for the car I can see that car lasting a very long time.

#30 ·
Hello All,
I love this car but my wife wants to sell her. We currently have 67000miles and its a 2005. We have approx. 7000 miles of aftermarket warranty( GE WARRANTY) left. She wants the new Infinity qx56 truck. Our two drive around vechicles are a 2004 Maxima and a 2010 Mazda3. The only major problems we had was that vert top malfunction,replaced smg hydraulic pump ,steering pump and a new battery. Everything was covered by the warranty except the battery. The good thing is nobody wants to buy a vert in the winter months but when the spring comes oh boy!

Blake

#32 ·
Trade the Mazda. Keep your vert. Once you give it up she'll never let you back into something like it. Do you really want two car payments for 3 japanese cars. Nothing wrong with asians (I married one) and I've owned plenty of thier cars, they are actually very good. But three of them? When, right now you have one of THE premier cars made in '05 (short of super cars). Everyone has a Japanese car, many have a BMW, not many have a 6er. Every time I sit in my coupe I am blown away by something, the seat (by far the most comfortable car I've ever sat in), the power, the cornering, the HUD...

#33 ·
Larry you should know this is NOT a 3 series. You 3 was a tank and almost indestructible. This one is a diva. Having said that I am keeping my 645 for at least 3 more years. I have fixed everything it seems in the last 4 years and feel like if I just paid for a boob job and a face lift I am going to date her for a while longer. New transmission (CPO) was a nice bonus too. Great car and if it costs my 3k per year in repairs at this point is it still cheaper than a $299 lease for a Nissan Altima or Hyundai something or other.

#34 ·
I plan on keeping mine. It's a 2004 645 Vert with 80 something thousand miles.

Saving grace right now is my job has me posted in Asia so Labor is dirt cheap. Good labor I might add. Haven't had a warranty since around 2008. Any of the super expensive repairs will be done here before I come back stateside even if it doesn't need it at the time. Valve covers, Alt O-Ring, Coolant pipe, etc. etc.

#35 ·
Keeping!

I purchased my 645 ci a few years ago after my 325I was totaled in an accident, and it currently has 68k on it. I also purchased extended warrenty which should last me untill 100k.. So far, the radiator cap broke (which was not covered by my warrenty) and my alternator appears to be broken at the moment..

At the moment im all about keeping and fixing my baby up!

#37 ·
I traded my CPO e92 335i (with a year left on warranty) for my '06 650i 6 speed manual a couple months ago and haven't looked back. No warranty on the new car but with only 40k miles I'm not too concerned. I turn all my own wrenches so the worst I should have to deal with is the coolant pipe, and even then it shouldn't be for a long time. No problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.