BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

535i GT vs x6 : update - GT ordered

16K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  magnumforc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All - long time lurker and first time posting.

I've had BMW's in the past ('92 535, '94 530 (loved this car), '98 528, 2001 740) and am on the hunt right now for a new one. I moved away from them when the 5 series resembled a Civic with size of a 3, and the 7 had the new i-drive that I found hard to use even as a technology guy.

I have two small children (4 and 2) and need to be able to have car seats in the rear. I also like the size and higher up ride that my Lexus 400h gives me along with being able to "throw stuff" in to the hatch when needed including my golf bag, fishing rods, and outdoors stuff. All this is leading me towards the GT or x6. The x5 and x3 just do not do it for me and the MPG is not good IMHO.

A couple of questions:

- GT: can I order it without the sun baking/cooking panoramic glass roof even if from Europe
- interior size wise, are they about the same in real world experience
- MPG : does the GT really get mid 20's when on the highway
- I'm leaning RWD only, all my others had traction and I never had a problem in my climate and also will have a 2nd AWD vehicle for when necessary

I'm leaning GT b/c of the size, layout, and reported MPG. I think lease is the way to go in case I really do not like it and also so i can stay on my 3 year upgrade interval I may check out the Audi Q7, and have toyed with a new 740i as well.

Thanks for any help/comments!

Wardman

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello All - long time lurker and first time posting.

A couple of questions:

- GT: can I order it without the sun baking/cooking panoramic glass roof even if from Europe
- interior size wise, are they about the same in real world experience
- MPG : does the GT really get mid 20's when on the highway
- I'm leaning RWD only, all my others had traction and I never had a problem in my climate and also will have a 2nd AWD vehicle for when necessary

I'm leaning GT b/c of the size, layout, and reported MPG. .. I may check out the Audi Q7, and have toyed with a new 740i as well.

Thanks for any help/comments!
Wardman
- GT - panoramic roof is great - it multitasks - the glass panoramic roof - can be closed and/or opened. My rear seat passengers have especially found it alluring on a fast drive at night. Push a button and voilà - a ceiling liner obscures the glass and the sun.

- Size - the GT enjoys larger interior dimensions. The GT is based on the seven series and offers 7 series space, luxury, and an engaging driving experience. Many contend the best seat in the house is in the back. In my house - there is a fight for the back seat v. the front passenger seat. The X6 is based on the X5 and its stylish coupe roof line compromises rear seat headroom. In general, the GT offers more carrying capacity and is the more flexible platform.

- MPG - there area several threads on the F07 forum that address mpg. Personally, my 550i GT does 18.2 on my urban/suburban commute and 24.5 on fast interstate drives. Many 535i GT owners report much better mileage.

- 2 wheel rear drive v. X drive is a hot issue, and the answer depends on your priorities and location. For me - BMW gran turismo means rear wheel drive, 20 inch wheels, performance tires, adaptive handling, and a 400 HP twin turbo V8. BMW has endowed the GT with the potential to answer a range of desires and needs. Personally, if I had to recommend to a friend with a family - one variant - I would recommend a 535xi GT with 19" wheels and all season tires, and adaptive handling - fast, good mpg, and able to cope with a variety of weather and road conditions.

Q7 - it's an AUDI - I don't go there....:thumbdwn:
740i - very nice car - but GT is a better value, has greater flexibility, and offers unique Euro-styling. :cool:

#3 ·
BMWUSA will NOT let you order a GT without the panoramic sunroof, I tried (It's about 1700 euro option, where optional, so it's NOT cheap). While it is optional in Germany, they do make it standard in most other countries (in Germany, you can pretty much go down the option list and pick and choose, even though packages can save you money).

My 535xdrive got me over 30mpg on my way home from SC to NH. Like any large, heavy car, if you do a lot of stop and go, or can exceed the speed limits from most places, it drops. I picked my car up in Munich, drove about 700 miles, and while there, some at 100mph, I averaged about 24mpg which included both 2-lane roads, city, and some autobahn. The rear-wheel drive vehicle is rated 3mpg better on the highway.

Now, if you wanted the 8-cylinder, your results will be lower.

Drive the vehicle with the stock 18" tires, then one of the others with the larger wheels. Run-flats are pretty stiff, and when you go with even shorter sidewalls, I think the ride and handling are just fine with the 18", and they're less expensive, too. A larger wheel may look better, but I can't see them from the driver's seat, and don't really care that much. It's a big thing for others. And, with a family, you generally won't be overdriving the stock tires/wheels or you'll be cleaning up and may have to find alternative sleeping arrangements!

#4 ·
Thanks All!

It would be 18" wheels for me, and I wish BMWUSA had three roof options (no moon roof, 7 series like moon roof, and panoramic). I'd go with the moon roof with the heavier duty shade based upon other cars I've driven and hearing the road noise when it was back vs closed - and thinking the cloth covering won't stop much road noise. That siad, if it was not available, I'd get it without. I'm just not a big open the roof fan.

I'm thinking 535ix GT with 18's, lease it for a few years and see how it goes. Good advice on moving the seats forward too, to achieve more storage capacity in the back.

Now what color combo's... I was thinking Imperial Blue Metalic with black napa interior. :D

We'll see.

#5 ·
The GT has lots of good features but trunk space is not one of them. It has 15 cu. ft stated on the specs but I don't believe it. It is not shaped like a normal trunk. You can only put 2 golf bags right at the trunk opening where they almost fall out when opening the trunk. If you need to put 4 golf bags in you would have to put down one of the seats. We recently when on a 9000 mile trip and were going to take 2 other people for about 2000 miles and I don't thing we could have gotten all the luggage in. One had to cancel so we made it. Today's suitcases done seem to fit it. You need tall suit cases to have them reach the top of the trunk. Then you could not use those type bags on an airplane carry-on. Wide articles don't fit.

My 2 cents. I still love my car and would not trade it. I plan to drive it 200,000 miles.

#7 · (Edited)
CBrown: Did you try moving one and/or both seats forward? You can also gain more density by stowing the cargo privacy cover in the cargo floor, and stacking your cargo items.

That being said, the GT has to be one of the most best kept secrets in the premium market. You are essentially getting the top of the line BMW automobile with basically all of the option choices, all if not more luxury/comfort/interior space and associated options, more flexible cargo carrying options, same drivetrain options (save V12 and Alpina B7), same wheel base (F01 7 Series) at a comparatively $15K - $20K discount. Ponder that last fact for a second.

X6 is nice but it can't compete with the GT on interior space and/or luxury. Also the interior dash appears antiquated compared to the GT.

Just my two cents:thumbup:

#6 ·
We were in a similar situation and picked the GT over X6, X5 and 5 series, with the extra rear seat space and comfort in the GT being a huge plus. agree with capobranco's comments; the back seat is a very tempting place to be

#8 ·
Almost seems they should have labeled it 635 GT although were 6 series always 2 door?

What I found yesterday was the 740i will lease at the same price right now in my area.

I'm still pressing for no panoramic roof in the GT and want xdrive now, so xdrive is a + to teh GT, and the roof is a - in my "T-chart analysis). It also looks like I should push for a 2012 model at this point.

Wardman

#12 · (Edited)
Almost seems they should have labeled it 635 GT although were 6 series always 2 door?...
Wardman
+1

The 5 GT is 7 based on 7 series architecture and is closely related to the F01. The 5 designation has engendered confusion in the market, and even among savvy "festers - witness the spirited discussions, at times rooted in misconception, on the F10 Forum.

IMO most F07 guys would heartily concur with your comment and recommendation.

Having to choose between a X6, a 7er and a GT is a good problem to have in my book. You can't go wrong either way. Good Luck! :thumbup:
What fun!...very different but each compelling choices...:)

#9 ·
I'm coming off an X6 3.5 with all the suspension bells and whistles and switched to a 550 with just the premium2 and no sport stuff. The 5 is more 'luxurious'. It has more room in the back for passengers. The X6 outhandled the 550 by a longshot. It was more fun to drive apart from the straight line acceleration of the 550. One of the big differences is how easy it was to get in and out of the X6. It's kind of annoying in the 5.

#11 · (Edited)
I had to live with a GT for 3 weeks while my X5 was being fixed. Didn't miss the X one bit, but did miss the GT when I had to turn it back in which was a surprise especially for the wife, since she really enjoys the X5s (this is our 3rd). I did look at the X6 but at the time, no bench seat in the back was a no-deal for me.

The GT back seat is roomier, and the dashboard and trim is much nicer inside than the X and relatively similar cargo room for our needs. (which is carrying 2 car seats + equal # of babies + stroller and the occasional box o' crap).

I like it so much I just ordered a 550i GT. :D

Now the 7's are indeed very nice but I feel I'm getting more value with the GT. I also happen to like the euro look.

Having to choose between a X6, a 7er and a GT is a good problem to have in my book. You can't go wrong either way. Good Luck! :thumbup:

#13 · (Edited)
2012 535i xdrive GT Ordered

Thanks for the input. I just ordered the 2012 535i xdrive GT. Went with space gray and dakota black interior. The ZVP that is standard now gave it: garage door opener, navigation, power tailgate, comfort access keyless entry, and rearview camera. No need to add packages with stuff you did not want to get the basics IMO. Auto dimming mirrors are now also standard as are floor mats. I added multi-contour seats and heated fronts for me. I stayed with 18 inch wheels although the 19's looked great, around here I did not want the lower profile due to pot holes. I wish that the leather sport steering wheel had been an option. 62.5K list price on this vehicle.

Oh - and splash guards :)

Cannot wait to get it in October/November

#15 ·
+2

I concur:thumbup::thumbup:

#17 ·
Congrats Wardman .... wish you wouldve got the 550! ....

Nah enjoy the ride, you will love it, X6 is way too small .... And I have a Q7 and have to give is a vote of confidence for others who may read this, wife loves it and the styling is uncomparable, until you get to the Rover

#19 ·
May not need it, unless like me you are addicted to the V8 "Push", Im in a 535 loaner now and when those turbos get spinning it gets going, also do the 535's have the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ option that will change acceleration/engine speed/throttles/turbos up, im in a F10 and it doesnt, but if the 535 GT had it you wouldnt get the lag I get from this

#20 ·
Yes - it has the different drive modes. I checked that out all ready. I do not think it has sport+, but it does have 3 settinngs.

I've jumped on my other 528, 530 (small 8 cyl), 740i's etc.. and they really come off the line when you do. I know the 550 was awesome, but went with economy for what it was worth.

#21 ·
535i GT';s have 3 modes Normal, Sport and Sport+ If you get the Dynamic Handling Package you also get "Comfort" as an additional setting.

On long highway trips, I get over 30 MPG and the car accelerates effortslessly. I have the xDrive and love it. A great all-weather vehicle. I did opt for the sport package and in the xDrive it comes with 19" wheels, all weather tires, 20 way multi-position seats, etc. Really a nice vehic le overall. Couldn't think of anything i'd rather drive right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.