BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any modded X3's out there?

72K views 119 replies 46 participants last post by  EconoBox 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I did a search first and there sure doesn't seem to be anyone modding these cars... I have had a few BMW's over the years, and have always enjoyed modding or personalizing to my tastes. And I know, the aftermarket scene is not for everyone, but it just seems like theres NOTHING available!
LED taillights, tinted windows, maybe different wheels, exhausts, intakes, etc. And before anyone lambaste's me, I know these are all personal preferences, but I think modding can be done tastefully, while giving it a more distinct European look.
I think this looks absolutley stunning (minus the go-fast stickers, of course)...

See less See more
#75 ·
i honestly dont know what they are the place did them for me got me new ones and i knew the guys so i gave them cash and they didnt give me any receipts...idk if thats a good thing or not ahaha but so far with all the rain and snow jersey just got they have been fine so im assuming they are the overlays...they feel like they are

and im just scared im gunna mess the door up...is there a link to a forum you can send me that has a DIY guide?

#87 · (Edited)
looks nice, any improvement in performance or exhaust sound? I have been looking and not too much available without custom job which is too expensive.
which magnaflow mufflers did you use?

#94 ·
Metal Pedal Mod

I am getting a new toy in late September Mid October of this year. If I don't sell it (the X3) and trade it in I will be stripping off some of the mods since they will neither appreciate nor depreciate the value.

Anyone interested in the aluminum pedals for an MT please send a PM. They cost just a little over $125 and about 9 months old.

Asking $75 plus S & H. Please PM Can't give everything away for free all the time.

Attachments

#96 ·
Hello all!!!

I am new to this forum, but have owned several BMWs throughout the years.
my most current BMW is an 09 X3 msport in black Sapphire Metallic color,
I have done a few mods, nothing major, but mostly aesthetics which include:

H&R sport springs: netting about 1.5" drop (have KW coilovers to install soon)
Valentine One Radar Detector Hardwired
Line out converter installed with a JL Audio amp and polk DXI 12" sub
upgraded LED angel eye bulbs
smoked sidemarkers
de-badged
Vossen CV2 wheels 20X10.5 rear 20x9 fronts (soon will be changed due to offset problems):thumbdwn:
Yellow Fogs
Black Kidney Grills

I will post up pics as soon as I figure out how..:dunno:

Forrest

#99 ·
Thanks for the compliments, Currently installing KW variant2 Coilovers on the X3 as well as changing the wheels. I think The Angel Eye upgrade I have is the umnitza V3 LED bulbs, They just replace the factory screw in bulb housing with an LED bulb. my only complaint is that they could be a little bit brighter during the day, but the color temp is very nice.

#104 · (Edited)
I have had a Brand New set of KW Variant 2 Coilovers for sale for a little bit now. I was advertising $1,600 shipped, but have been getting a few interested parties lately so it may depend on where i'm shipping to.

Some cool X3's in this thread, glad i finally found it. I was starting to think that there were no enthusiast owned X3's.

EDIT: This is NOT the set from my X3, but a completely new, never touched set that I had previously got for someone who had to back out.

#106 ·
I just finished installing my front KW V2 coilovers, but have a question.... I cant seem to get the top mount up front tight.... I dont want to use the impact gun as it might hurt the Coilover shaft... I was thinking a ratcheting wrenh and then a socket through it to hold the xenter part of the shaft while i tighten it....

#105 ·
Sorry for double posts, but is anybody located around Chicago? I'd love an X3 meet.

#107 · (Edited)
Impact won't hurt, just be careful. But sounds like you know what you're doing, I would use a long torque wrench if you have one, the leverage tends to put on enough initial pressure to keep the piston rod from turning. Do you know what I mean?

Mind if I ask how much you paid for your variant 2's? I want to see how far under I am from someone who just found their own retailer. So far I think my $1600 shipped is a good price. I'm getting good interest, and a couple almost purchases, but I need to get some money back.

Feel free to post how much you LOVE the KW's. They're perfect, awesome ride, great handling.

#108 ·
I just finished the whole install a few hours ago on my X3 and I must say that just from driving them around the block they feel much better in comparison to my H&R springs with sport shocks...
I am still going to play with the ride height and rebound setting on the damper units, however I wish there was a full adjustable camber plate for this model coil over....I did knock out both centering pins on the top of my strut mounts to allow for a little more adjustment once i get my alignment done on Monday, I can't wait to take it on its first "shakedown" run however... I paid right under $2000.00 for my set which had to be ordered from Germany through KW in California.....

#109 ·
Damn, wish you had found some of my ads sooner. Oh well, yea, you can turn the E83 into an awesome handling machine. It's still 4000lbs, but that's only a couple hundred pounds (or a little more) heavier than a fully loaded E90.

If you have the chance, check out which suspension bushings from the E46 M3 fit the X3 and enjoy, they are a definite improvement.

#110 ·
took out the rdash CCFL angel eyes and replaced them with Orion V2's from Umnitza.
here are a couple of pics right after i finished the install:

took me about an hour to put the driver's side headlight back in. such a pain :rofl:
i also painted the corners a reflective silver color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.