BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Exterior door handle issue

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jsc 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 325I and have had a problem with the driver's side exterior handle. Apparently there has been a disconnect with the interior mechanism as I am unable to open the vehicle using the exterior handle, but the interior handle is still fully functional. The exterior handle appears to still be operational as it lifts, but for some reason it is not connected to something it should be. Parts stores around me have no idea and want me to purchase a whole assembly..thinking that may work. It just seems like it would be an easier fix. If anyone has had the same experience and wants to share or any have ideas for me to fix, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm growing tired of either leaving the window open or going through the back door! Thank you......

#4 ·
Tom,
I appreciate the info, but I guess I am confused. My vehicle, as I mentioned previously, is a 2002 BMW 325I. Where does the E 46 model play into it?
Thanks
E46 is the BMW model designation for the 3-series for 1999 to 2005 model years (for the sedan, which your 325i is designated as). It was replaced by the E90/E91/E92/E93 3-series for 2006 to 2011 model years (for the E90 sedan) which has now been replaced by the F30 3-series sedan for the 2012 model year onwards. You are in the 1-series group (E81/E82/E87/E88) for cars built from the 2007 model year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.