BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

what gasoline brand do you use?

7K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  bmw_again 
#1 ·
Hi, I am first time BMW owner, just bought X3 28i last week and I was wondering what brand of gas you guys use.
I traded in my Toyata Camry for my X3 (big step up for me!).
I really didn't care about what gas I used for carmy so I used Costco gas or other cheap gas stations.
But now I have a premium brand car, should I be using premium brand gas? Or does it really matter?
I read some threads on other BMW series and some say it doesn’t matter and some say it matters….
From your experience, is there a particular gas brand that is “better” for BMW..?
I’d really appreciate your inputs!

#2 ·
Honestly, I only really care about the octane rating. Most reputable outlets will have decent gas. I've used Costco, 76, Chevron, etc...

Always stayed with the Premium level octane, though.

Enjoy!

#4 · (Edited)
Hey congratulation! I am like you, first time BMW owner, last car was toyota corolla for 10 years! A car mechanist once told me don't use cheap gas brand, like arco, because overtime your engine would accumulate more carbon waste. Not sure if that's true but I always had used Shell on my corolla, and its engine is still strong at 235K miles. Now I always use Chevron 91. I read it somewhere that Shell V-power actually gives you couple more HP but it's harsher for your engine.

#8 · (Edited)
I go for the premium stuff in the low 90's. Most places I can get 93 but like today at Phillips 66 they top out at 91.

Our SA once told us NOT to use BP, at least from the local St. Louis area as it had been tested to have more than 10% ethanol. Funny since BMW recommended BP right in the manual

I usually go for the 93 at QT or the same at Shell.

Around here we can only get ethanol 'enhanced' fuel. The link below will show places in the US to get non-ethanol fuel. It's probably preferred to anything.

http://www.pure-gas.org

#9 · (Edited)
BMW recommends Top Tier retailers (documented in Owner's Manual): http://www.toptiergas.com/
Interestingly, BP is listed as recommended in the Owner's Manual but is not listed as a Top Tier.

#12 ·
I use Costco Kirkland Signature Premium normally, or Shell V Power/Chevron when traveling.

I look for fast pumps (clean filters) and busy stations (fresh gas).

#16 ·
...which is supposedly what distinguishes "Top-Tier" retailers from others.

#18 ·
I decided to try an ethanol-free gas yesterday! Not easy to find around here. 40cents (US)/gal higher than other 91-octanes! (Note: 91 octane is premium in Colorado.) Filled tank from a remaining range around 20 miles, so presumably just a few gallons of Shell-V left.

At over a mile in altitude, I think I've noticed the following: smoother sounding exterior idle on warm engine, more power, throatier sound. But, could this be the same effect as a good cleaning "makes the car run better"? ;-)

While I try to buy gas from friendly oil origins, I will likely resume to to 10% ethanol just to...you know, support the local corn growers.

#19 ·
At over a mile in altitude, I think I've noticed the following: smoother sounding exterior idle on warm engine, more power, throatier sound. But, could this be the same effect as a good cleaning "makes the car run better"? ;-)
That is because ethanol only have 2/3 of the energy of gasoline, the energy in a gallon of ethanol is 76000 BTU and the energy in a gallon of gasoline is 116090 BTU. Non ethanol gas, will also result in better gas milage.

#22 ·
BP isn't available where I live. While I buy mostly 93 octane Shell and Mobil/Exxon, what I'm really looking for is Top Tier, which is what I usually buy.

PS
I had dinner with a Sunoco dealer tonight, and I buy his 91 octane gas from time to time. And yes, Sunoco sells 93 octane, but unlike Shell and Mobil, they sell 91 octane too. Sunoco isn't a Top Tier gasoline. If it were, I would buy it more often.

#27 ·
Shell. I hate BP.

#30 ·
X3 2.0 versus 3.0

If you go with the X3 and it doesn't exceed your budget, I would highly recommend the 3.0 engine. It's arguably the best engine BMW has produced. The in-line 6 cylinder arrangement is inherently extremely well balanced (not something one can say about the 4 cylinder engine) and BMW has spent many years refining it with better and better air/fuel delivery and valve systems. The result is very efficient, very smooth power delivery across the full rpm range. The feeling in the cockpit is one of effortless power. At 6000 - 7500 feet elevation with 10 to 20 mile trips, we normally see 23 - 25 mpg. On cross country trips we see 26 - 29 mpg.

#31 ·
Top Tier Brands

The recommendation for fuels (with the exception of the new addition of the BP recommendation) has been the same since the X3 was introduced in 2004. And even though I have not read the manuals on other models, I would assume the fuel brand recommendation runs across the entire BMW line-up.

I have followed the recommendation for using Top Tier brands (better detergent, less build-up in the engine) on my 2005 pretty faithfully. Zero issues with the vehicle for 125,000 miles. There is a Conoco station on my way home that is within a few pennies per gallon of the cheapest retailer, so I usually fill up there.

In Colorado the Top Tier retailers are Conoco, Phillips 66 and Shell.

I also run a bottle of Technron through the engine every 5000 miles or so. Other cleaners are pretty good, I think, but Techron (same additive as in Chevron fuels) is readily available in retailers here.

#32 ·
Shell Prem

#38 ·
Does not matter. Only verify Octane at least equal to minimum recommended. Look for convenience first, price second.

Have been purchasing new cars (and two CPOs) since 1969 and have never cared about anything but price and octane consistent with manufacturer. Have never been aware of any issue by not focusing on a given brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.