BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sigh...my new X5 is MIA between SC and Chicago

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Felliren 
#1 ·
Ordered an 3.5i Premium on 11/27 from Irv Robinson at Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. I'm a long-time, loyal VW lessor/owner who got frustrated with the direction taken with the new Touareg. So, I fulfilled a nearly life-long desire and ordered my first BMW.

At any rate, I had a production week of 50, and we had high hopes the truck would get here before Christmas.

Production completed on 12/15, website showed truck en route as of 12/17.

Since then....nothing.

The website states it is at the dealer, yet Irv has not seen any sight of it yet. I'm starting to get mildly concerned/irritated as I am staring at another short holiday week. Not only am I excited to drive this new truck, but I need to get some miles on it before I take a 500+ mile drive to WV for a family visit next week. :)

I had to emote somewhere...thanks for listening.

#3 ·
Ditto...

Prod in SC: 18 Nov
Departed: 19 Nov
Arrived VPC Oxnard: 7 Dec (it was scheduled for 4 Dec)

Departed CA for Hawaii on 10 Dec...

...on a slooooooooowwww boat...

Arrived HI on 22 Dec

Held hostage by dock yard until tomorrow...

Might see it finally on 29 Dec....
:yikes:

#4 ·

Departed CA for Hawaii on 10 Dec...

...on a slooooooooowwww boat...

Arrived HI on 22 Dec

Held hostage by dock yard until tomorrow...

Might see it finally on 29 Dec...

That's the price you pay for living in paradise.

Well...that and getting to watch games like the Hawaii Bowl.

I live in the transportation hub of the country, how hard can it be to get an X5 here? :)

#5 ·
Weather and holidays

I bet it shows up very soon...next day or two. Mine finished prod and jumped to "at VPC" on 12/18...must have got on a truck next day or two and arrived in NY on Wed the 22nd. I bet the extra day/two of driving to IL meant getting tangled up in holiday and then bad weather. I think you'll be behind the wheel by Thursday!

Good luck!

#7 ·
My bet is that the weather has delivery held up. Irv will take care of you and keep you in the loop.

#8 ·
As I understand it, the car has been tendered to an interstate trucking company that is technically working for the dealer- BMW actually has limited rights to know about the shipment, it is the DEALER who need to contact the shipping company and ask "where is OUR car?"

Most SAs recognize that expending any energy to track down a shipped car will earn them $0, hence they usually just say "we are as concerned as you are and will let you know when it shows up".

#9 ·
Ordered an 3.5i Premium on 11/27 from Irv Robinson at Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. I'm a long-time, loyal VW lessor/owner who got frustrated with the direction taken with the new Touareg. So, I fulfilled a nearly life-long desire and ordered my first BMW.
That's funny, I'm almost the opposite. I'm not brand-loyal, but honestly BMW no longer sells the cars that I want in NA. I was thinking of moving to the VW camp.

#10 ·
I've spent 11 years in VWs (including 2 Jettas, a W8 Passat, a V8 Touareg, and a 3.6 Passat) because I loved their combination of high-quality interiors, great performance, and a reasonable price point.

The service quirkiness never fazed me because I had a top-notch VW service department taking care of me...plus I was just lucky enough to never have a significant issue in the vehicles.

Now, in their quest for volume, VW has decontented the vehicles and made them profoundly less fun to drive.

For example, my options for the next-gen Touareg are an underpowered V6, a nice diesel equivalent to the 3.5d, and....nothing else. I'm discounting the Hybrid because they are impossible to find, and risky for all the obvious reasons.

If VW would've put the supercharged 3.0 in the Touareg, I'd have snapped one up in an instant. Instead, I was looking at a Diesel truck $5k more expensive than the X5 with a lot less goodies in it.

On top of all this, there is the brutal depreciation on VWs. I bought out the balloon payment on the Touareg because I enjoyed driving it and figured it would hold its value relatively well (it's a late 2005...well after the infamous 2004 MY). Little did I expect that in just 18 months, the residual has plunged from ~54% to 25%. Even with an extended warranty, no one wants a used Touareg...it's mind-boggling.

With all that considered, the 3.5i Premium was a no-brainer decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.