BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 door mirror question

14K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bfaith78 
#1 ·
Drivers door mirror question
We had a drivers door replaced due to a incident with a Deer The body shop used our original mirror When we got it back from the shop the mirror adjustment didn't work (up down, in out) so we take it back three days later we get our car back only to notice on the way home that the mirror is dark, (as if it is night, Auto darkening)
The story on the adjustment was that a wire pin got pusher out of the connector, The story now is that they go dark with age, I think that's a BS answer, It was fine 3 days before,
Has anyone any ideas as to what may be wrong, I am thinking they have screwed up the wiring some how
I am beginning to wish I had never taken it to this "Insurance Preferred Shop" :mad:

Thank in advance for any help

#2 · (Edited)
In your future posts...please identify your X5's model/model year/build date...it will help us to help you better. There are many changed during the production run from 2000-2006. You can create a permanent signature with this info if you click on the USER CP link along the top of the page. :)

If your X5 has the auto-dim/heated side mirrors...there are 2 electrical connections running to the mirror. One is a 2-wire connector that is for the heating element...and the other is a 2-wire connector for the auto-dimming feature:

(the 2 wires connected on the upper right are for heat...& the other connector with the purple wire is for auto-dimming)

You could also check the mirror yourself to see if they have everything plugged in correctly. The mirror glass isn't difficult to remove if you have a nice size flat head screwdriver and something to protect the finish (like a cloth or thin piece of cardboard). Push the bottom of the mirror glass inward (toward the front of the vehicle) while leaving enough room to insert your tool along the bottom...push upward on the mirror glass in several places along the bottom of the glass to move it upward off the backing plate. See the instructions below for more details:

#4 ·
... my passenger side mirror sometimes does not automatically drop so you can see the curb while in reverse. ...
Do you know that this feature is controlled by the position of the switch in the master control panel on the driver's door?

When the button that controls which mirror you are adjusting is pushed to the left (driver's side)...then the passenger mirror will tilt down when the gear lever is moved into REVERSE.

If you move that switch to the right (passenger side)...this disables the tilt down feature.

#5 ·
Thank you QSilver7
Thanks that's more information than I ever hoped for
Now I can go back to them armed with more/better info than my "I think it works like this" as they are trying there best to back out of this one
My last seven digits are LP41228

Thanks again

#7 ·
Thank you QSilver7
Thanks that's more information than I ever hoped for
Now I can go back to them armed with more/better info than my "I think it works like this" as they are trying there best to back out of this one
My last seven digits are LP41228

Thanks again
According to your build sheet (thanks for posting your VIN)...your E53 is optioned with the auto-dimming interior/exterior mirrors...so make sure they have everything hooked up correctly...or have them check to see if the mirror glass was damaged. Don't let the "auto dip" wording throw you off in the OPTION CODE description...somehow BMW has never changed auto dip to auto dim from way back in the early 90s when the rear view mirror actually dipped to prevent glare. EC (electrochromatic) technology soon replaced the motorized auto-dipping rear view mirrors (which were failing at a high rate anyways)...but the description has never changed in BMW nomenclature. :dunno:

Build sheet info found here: http://bmwvin.com
  • S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip

Thank you Qsilver7

I new there was a reason I joined this site. LOL
Glad to be of assistance. :D

#9 ·
I have a 2011 x5 M package. The drivers side power mirror doesn***8217;t fold in or tint but the passenger one works fine. Any ideas of what the problem is. I wasn***8217;t sure if a fuse would make only one go out or if both would go out if it was a fuse? Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.