BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anybody got Countryman?

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  sd330Ci 
#1 ·
What do you like and what no so?

#3 ·
This is The Only option if you want small AWD wagon with MT in US.
(Subaru is no longer small)

So far it looks promising, all reviews are good, priced under, $30K, so it's time for test drive.
Unfortunately closest Mini dealer is 40 miles away.

#4 ·
That's a good point, it's a rare breed. It competes with the Juke, but that's just ugly.

My closest dealer is a 120 miles away :rofl: Maybe someday, when MINI decides to open a local dealer, I'll consider one

However, the pricing is a little crazy IMO. I built one with all the toys I'd want off my X5 and it hit $37k :mad:

#5 · (Edited)
We have one. A non-S though. ..and an auto...

My wife really wanted a mini but we have a two year old and two dogs. We went to the dealership looking for a used clubman S however she fell in love with the countryman. We compromised and got the standard clubman. Sadly we traded in my roadster and I got my wife's IS250. The bright side, however, is that I now have permission to acquire a proper project car next summer. I'm thinking either old-school muscle or perhaps a VW Karmann Ghia.... but that's for another discussion...

Space-wise: it has more room on the interior than my IS250. I like the fold down rear seats but I wish they'd lay down completely flat (they slope up towards the front of the car approx. 20 degrees). I like the gizmos (disco LED's if you know the trick!), sat radio (standard), the manual feeling with the tranny (you can shift it like a manual... without the man-peddle.... ftl...), handling, etc.

The manual trannies that I test drove were very, very nice. Some of the smoothest gears I've laid my hands on. Props to Mini there!

Turbo'd cars are adequately powered. Non-S's, however, are underpowered for their size. The little 4-banger just isn't enough for it. The auto tranny wants to shift too much on hills (but it does have 6 gears to choose from so there's that).

MPG are pretty good under 75mph. Get over that and you loose quite a bit. When my wife drives it she averages 30-32 mpg. I usually get 27.

Couple of pics:

I've since put on black racing stripes on the hood. They're a must on these things. Without them it just doesn't look right. Most cars are the opposite but a mini needs stripes.

Also note that we have to have front plates in MD. We waited a good 6 weeks before I found a proper mount using the tow hook hole. Aftermarket parts are coming up but they're rare. One of the nice things, however, is a tow hitch attachment that uses the rear tow hook mounts. several companies have them now. That allows for a lot more cargo room for trips.

We've taken a 9 hour trip in it with my 2 year old, a black lab and a mini dachshund. Comfortable enough. Folded one of the rear seats down for the dogs and were able to put a larger suitcase behind my kid. Stuffed a bunch of other stuff under the "platform" in the trunk as well.

#6 · (Edited)
We just ordered a 2012 Cooper S All 4. We are getting it pretty much loaded. Will update when it arrives.

#7 ·
I went for test drive today.
I drove Cooper FWD with MT and Cooper S AWD with auto. I like car in general: has good steering and brakes, a enough space for 4 adults (even one being 6'4"), nice engine sound. Regular Cooper feels really underpowered and much softer than S. There is noticeable lean in corners which I hope sport suspension would fix. MT is pretty good with easy to modulate clutch. Pedals are small that makes heel an toe a little hard and stick has long travel, so I would definitely install short shifter.

I did not like the price.
31K with options - $415 for 3 years lease with 10K per year with $5000 down. Dealer says that there is no deals and everybody is expected to pay MSRP + crazy financing rates.

#12 ·
New 2011 Countryman here!!

Hey Guys,

Well I traded my 2005 X3. Got a 2011 Countryman S last Saturday. Got it with the manual, sunroof, HK sound, ipod/bluetooth, rear bathtub cover for the dogs, and split center rail. I bought it at the dealer because the one I wanted was the one on the lot. Got it for 1000 less than msrp, 28700, and good trade. If you go in pre approved for your loan, they will hit 3.9% on the countryman, I just had to haggle for an hour or so. Took it to San Diego over the weekend and hit 1200 miles just before we split off of the 15 towards big bear lake. The MOST fun I have ever had on a mountian road. Just forgot to engage sport drive. Oh well, next time. Love the Countryman, would buy another in a heartbeat. Two things I miss about the X3 are the auto wipers, and the xenon headlights.

31 mpg? Sweet!

Hans

#14 ·
Hey sd330Ci,

Nope, didn't opt for the all4. Couldn't justify the cost living in las Vegas. The clutch is buttery smooth. Even my wife has no problem driving it. The throw is a little long but I found an adjustable short shift kit online that will fix that. I will post pics but the trim is being replaced and the windows are still going to get tint. Also, new to posting from my iPad. Not sure how to get pictures up.

#16 ·
I test drive 2012 Countryman ALL4 with MT today.
Clutch does feels different than in FWD model.
It's kind of sticky - stays depressed by itself for extra second or so after you remove you foot.
Makes it hard to drive smoothly or quickly change gears.
I hope it will go away after break in.

I also noticed torque steer under full throttle for couple second before rear wheels kicks in.

#17 ·
I've myself a Countryman S ALL4 and after driving 700 miles I love the clutch - it has that BMW feel with well defined engagement point. In sport mode car is blast to drive (not 1M but a lot of fun).

So the car I has a test drive at dealership had either burned clutch or BMW did fix it somehow for 2012 models.

#18 ·
did you buy one? what type of financing rates did they have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.