BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

QX56 4wd w/ theather pack vs X5 35i w/ prem,cold, tech, third row and apps

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  NoI4plz 
#1 ·
If you had the need to haul normally haul 3 adults and a dog, and 5 adults and a dog sometimes, would the X5 be a better choice than an qx56.

Mind you:

the qx56 is a giant whale (has the space, and similar tech (around view), plus quite comfortable of an interior).
The x5 is a nicely sized, mid-size chic vehicle (third row is a joke, but only one seat would be used, while the other is folded for the dog, the quality of driving is better, and it seems higher quality than the qx)

Any comments appreciated, as the family friend is in the market, and test drove both vehicles but needs any additional comments. :dunno:

#3 ·
Infitis are ugly and with their ugly shark headlights and giant bumpers getting uglier every year. I had 3rd seating row in my previous X5 and I agree, it is a joke. I could not sit a 12 year old there. GL-class for me any day. I wish BMW someday with come out with a GL size vehicle.

#4 ·
2013 is a Big year for SUVs with new X5, Q7, Rover and maybe a new large Volvo XC. At least the Q7 and Volvo should have a good third row and maybe the new X5 as well. My advice, wait six months and you should have a clearer picture of the around the corner choices. The QX is ghastly to look at.

#10 · (Edited)
If you had the need to haul normally haul 3 adults and a dog, and 5 adults and a dog sometimes, would the X5 be a better choice than an qx56.
NO, the X5 is simply not design to "comfortably" accommodate the 5 adults and a dog. 4 adults & no dog, yes but a fifth with any size AT ALL (say over 120lbs) would not be comfortable in the rear and the dog 'could" be put behind the rear seat...I guess.

If you want to compare sizes, the X5 is much, MUCH closer to the Infiniti JX than it is to the QX and IMHO the JX has at least a modicum of style whereas the QX is essentially an alternative to a Escalade.

#11 ·
All valid points.

The problem lies it that intended consumer loves the BMW driving feel, but needs the extra space. The GL is really devoid of the key options that the friend wants (2nd row folding power and etc). Plus GL is on a price premium.

The JX's transmission is a marvel considering its a CVT. However, where it impresses in value and safety tech (Active cruise w/ full speed, active and passice lane assist, MOD, around view, and etc) it just feels like a rip-off considering you could just purchase a pathfinder, and some of the options such as manual xenon headlights (not active), no apps integration, really weird wood trimmings just throw it out of the running.

The Qx, although shares some oddities of the JX, has a monsterous V8, and alotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of room. Plus the current incentives put the Qx at a huge advantage, (qx56 w/ theatre package = base x5 premium).

Soooo tricky lol.

But not mine decision to make so simply acting as the info gatherer lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.