BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Worst snowy conditions car ever

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  S406 
#1 ·
WOW! This 525i is absolutely garbage in the snow....Winter tires here I come!

#7 ·
:cry:If I'm not mistaken, I believe that cars with the winter package (i.e. heated seats etc.) came with LSD.

Mine did :D

Too bad I don't have an enigine capable of taking advantage of the LSD

#12 · (Edited)
Then you have my car which has heated seates but no LSD:dunno:

On worn blizzaks last spring my car did everything I needed it to do. The LSD and snows is what it needs, but just good snow tires make a world of difference.

You can do it:thumbup:

#8 ·
Yes the ones with the winter package did have the lsd, but even the 525i with either a m20 or a m50 would handle a lot better with and lsd in the snow . I had 2 e28 528e (both slower and less hp then the e34 525i) one had an open diff and it sucked in the snow and was always getting stuck in the snow. The one with the lsd was a beast in the snow. I drove in a blizzard where we got 16inches of snow and never got stuck. At one point I could feel the car pushing through the snow and I had it floored just to keep it moving. I felt like I was driving a boat, but I never got stuck. I currently have a e34 535i with an open diff, I do not like it in the snow. I got a 3.46 lsd that I am rebuilding that will be going into the car at some point in time. I hope that this will be a game changer like it was in the e28.

Andy

#9 ·
The E34 is a stout RWD not a 2700 lb FWD, so low traction handling is going to be just a little bit different. :drive:

Hard, large-block summer tires will handle like crap no matter what their strapped to in inclement weather.

That being said, an E34 shod with 15" Firestone Winterforce or Bridgestone Blizzak is a very driveable car in the snot. :thumbup:

#10 ·
That being said, an E34 shod with 15" Firestone Winterforce or Bridgestone Blizzak is a very driveable car in the snot. :thumbup:
A typo I presume :rofl:

#13 ·
It has LSD, annnnnd I still have my summer tires on:) I put about 175lbs of landscaping brick in the trunk and its a new car:thumbup: But my gas mileage is suffering a bit though. I have 20 years of winter driving in montana and I have driven about every car imaginable from a 65 impala, 72 buick riviera(which is by far the worst now that I think about it), lifted jeeps on 35" mud tires, vw's and my all wheel drive S4. Obviously the Audi kills it! That car is so fricken fun in the snow its like a fair ride. Controlled drifts all day long!

#14 ·
So whats the problemo?:dunno::D:D:D

I think I may go with studs this winter... just because I can. If you go off the road where I drive, it is usually your last act amongst the living;)

#16 ·
Get in some gravel and spin your wheels. One track, open diff. Two tracks, LSD.

There is also a plate on the diff that ID's it as we'll. I just can't remember exactly what indicates it. I think if the number has an "S" then it is LSD.

#17 ·
Yes there is a plate. If it is a Open it will just have the gearing like 3.46 or 4.10. If it is a lsd it will have a s in front of the numbers. The problem is thatmany of these tags are no longer readable. So the best way to tell is just jack it up and with another person push the wheels in opposite directions, if it works then it is an open or it is a LSD with clutches that are no longer. If it the wheels will not spin in opposite directions then you have a working LSD. You could also enter the last 7 digits into realoem.com and get a build sheet and what was on the car.

Andy

#18 ·
Yes there is a plate. If it is a Open it will just have the gearing like 3.46 or 4.10. If it is a lsd it will have a s in front of the numbers. The problem is thatmany of these tags are no longer readable. So the best way to tell is just jack it up and with another person push the wheels in opposite directions, if it works then it is an open or it is a LSD with clutches that are no longer. If it the wheels will not spin in opposite directions then you have a working LSD. You could also enter the last 7 digits into realoem.com and get a build sheet and what was on the car.

Andy
My memory's not too bad for an old fart :rofl:

#19 ·
I fitted a set of Cooper Weather Master ST2's in 205/65-15. These things are AWESOME. I was easily able to pass a Subaru on a snowy two lane highway this afternoon:thumbup:

The tread is pretty deep, so far I am very impressed for a cheap set of snows.

The lack of a LSD on slippery roads can be a very good thing. If you do break the rear end loose with power, and have a LSD, it will break sideways. Without, just one rear tire spins but the car keeps going straight. Just be aware that in inexperienced hands the LSD could easily cause loss of control, but the non LSD will just continue on.

#20 · (Edited)
The other factor affecting snow drivability is when one began driving LOL... I grew up in the times of rear wheel drive. I think the only time I got really stuck in snow was in a honda LOL... My Firebird made it through the 92-93 blizz and the blizz of 95-96 . I was living in Brooklyn and driving to NJ daily without getting stuck. Primarilly because RWD is what I grew up with :eek:))) So the Bimmer, With GOOD SNOW TIRES does fantastic by me...

And agreed, with a less expirianced driver, LSD can cause loss of control :0(((

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.