BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 Automatic Transmission oil Fill Up

35K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TRUONG NGO 
#1 ·
I want to change the automatic transmission oil on a 2007 model. Does anyone know how to add oil to the automatic transmission. I have found the drain plug. I know BMW say that the transmission oil is for life of the trans but we all know this is complete bull**** right. I have purchased the correct shell grade of oil but there is no obvious dip stick or filling position.

#2 ·
#4 ·
You need to do more than just change the fluid

There is a transmission kit that you need to get to do the job right. And, you need to drop the pan, replacing both the filter and gasket as well as the bolts that come with the kit. This also means you need to know the torque specs on the pan bolts and the proper pattern to re0tighten them in.

Also, there is a tag on the tranny that will indicate the proper fluid to use. According to my indy he always checks this tag prior to ordering fluids as BMW has been known to change fluid specs and/or transmissions mid model.

If you are intent on just swapping fluid PLEASE locate this tag and verify you have the right fluid. Otherwise you could be doing a $6000 fluid change in the long run if you know what I mean.

I took mine to an independent shop and had front and rear diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids changed for a few hundred bucks and feel confident that it was done right and proper fluids were used. Something to think about.

Read this article, particularly the last part- http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-tech-tips/bmw-automatic-transmission-fluid-filter-change-high-mileage

#6 ·
I took mine to an independent shop and had front and rear diffs, transfer case and transmission fluids changed for a few hundred bucks and feel confident that it was done right and proper fluids were used. Something to think about.
[/URL]
Hi, what exactly did you pay for the services mentioned above? I post the question in the forum but no one replied for a week... Thanks ahead

-- John

#5 ·
Thanks for the assistance. Completed this job but it was more difficult that expected. My X3 used a Shell product. The dealer would only sell me the oil in bulk of 20L whilst I only needed 3.5 litres. The oil is PENTOSIN ATF Auto Transmission Fluid Equivalent to: Shell M-1375.4. Managed to get a local independent BMW shop that would sell small amounts of the oil. This synthetic oil is the same as used by VW and Audi. The main problem I had was filling the transmission. The drain plug hole on the X3 is small and access is very restricted. I bought a pump device from an Auto store but I had to modify this with longer plastic hose 1.5m long and make up a 10mm screw adapter fitting so that I could attached the hose without the transmission fluid spilling everywhere. There is a sort of back pressure which requires a lot of hand pressure to force the fluid into the transmission. I asked the independent BMW mechanic how he did it and they use a pressurised garden spray dispenser with a hook on it to fill the transmission. I think this is a better method as the hand pump was hard work. Anyway job done :thumbup:

#7 · (Edited)
2007 BMW Third Tail Light - PLEASE HELP

2007 BMW X3 Third Tail Light Broken - PLEASE HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody,

My 2007 BMW X3 third tail light has been out for a few months.
I tried to replace the bulb (inside) but I can't find any bolt or screw to take the light off to see if I can replace the bulb inside it.

If somebody helps me to find the way to take the cover of the tail light off, then do I need to replace the whole thing (the cover + the bulb) or just the bubl itself?

Anybody has any idea? please, help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Really appreciated.
Best regards,

TRUONG NGO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.