BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N52 "quicker" than previous X3 engine?

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 ·
In the press release on the BMWNA web site it states that the new X3 28i N52 engine will be nearly a half-second quicker (0-60 in 6.7 secs.) than the previous X3 30i engine. The N52 gives 240 HP instead of 260 HP in the previous platform. How is this increased quickness possible, especially with the increased 2011 X3 dimensions, i.e. length, width, etc?

#3 ·
8 speeds in the auto trans now? Better gearing could also be a factor.

-MrB

#5 · (Edited)
I thought there were going to be two engines at launch: the xDrive20d and the xDrive35i, the latter of which will be offered in the North American market. Then again, I haven't read info on the US market, just that of Europe.

The 35i model will hit 0-100km/h in 5,7 seconds, pretty fast to say the least. No idea if the Automatic Stop-Start will make it to the US market.

#14 ·
Most of the data is convincing enough but the abrupt reduction in X5 3.0si sales could be attributed to the LCI switchover.

No question though, diesel is kind of a niche market. It's nearly impossible to find a VW Golf TDI because VW apparently has a quota on the number of those shipped to the US. It could very well be my next car.

#15 ·
Easy it has more torque at a lower RPM, 230 vs 225 and tuned for a broader torque spec. Plus the 8 speed Gear box.

0-60 Torque and gearing is what matters. The old X3 might accelerate better from 100+ where you need the extra HP to overcome aerodynamic drag. However if the new X3 is significantly more aero the new one might still win.

#16 ·
The 335d was a mistake. That engine should have been placed in a 5 series (a la the MB E-Class) where it makes more sense. The 3 series is a "sporty" car where the 5 series is more of a family hauler -- sort of. I think that a diesel hybrid is on the horizon. There is already a gas hybrid in the works and shifting to diesel would not be that hard IMHO. Ford had a very nice concept car a number of years ago with a diesel hybrid (it was a Mercury version of the Freestyle wagon). IRT to diesel VW's they are really popular in diesel-starved CA now with the Jetta version. If they came out with a diesel Tiguan I would buy it! The 2.0Tdi does not require the "blue fluid" the others have to use. Gas prices are rising around here and diesel is lower than mid grade gas again.

#17 ·
There is a 535d with same engine as 335d, just not in NA. The 335d is a heck of a car. It just turns the notion of a slow diesel on its head. Too bad they don't come with x-drive on this side of pond otherwise I will have one in my garage by now. So much torque in rwd in winter is lethal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.