BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone try the new 5-series Xi yet?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  fuenfwagon 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has driven the new 5 series xi model? I'm curious to see if the x-drive is better than in the outgoing model, and how well it handles. I heard it relies more on its rear wheels, and doesn't sit as high. Any comments anyone? I'm going to be buying a new 3 series and was wondering whether to wait for the xi or not. (I live in snowy Canada).

#6 ·
italia90 said:
Did you read that I'm looking into a 3 series xi and therefore investigating it through the 5 series? I guess you didn't. Thanks for the info sweylo.
You asked about the 5 series xi model, I posted a link about the 5 series xi model. So what part did I misread? You also posted it in the wrong forum, that's why the admins moved it.

#10 ·
italia90 said:
I was just wondering if anyone has driven the new 5 series xi model? I'm curious to see if the x-drive is better than in the outgoing model, and how well it handles. I heard it relies more on its rear wheels, and doesn't sit as high. Any comments anyone? I'm going to be buying a new 3 series and was wondering whether to wait for the xi or not. (I live in snowy Canada).
I forget Italia, did you go to the dealer cocktail when they launched the E90? They had a 530xiT on display. It was a beauty. Priced around 60k, and it looked gorgeous. I think I would rather have that than an X5.

#13 ·
I drove the 530xit sportwagon (i guess they dont' use the t anymore.. but I like it). The car handles as expected (bmw quality... great suspension, nice cornering, etc), but it accelerates a lot better than my 325xi, not just faster, but faster at low speeds (where my 325xi is sluggish).. kind of like a RWD car. I think it has something to do with they way power is transfered around, I think most of the power goes to the rear on regular roads, its just on rough terrain that the drive transfers power around to the other wheels.

#15 ·
just returned

i just returned from almost 3 weeks in italy where i drive my new 06 530 xi wagon. it is a dream. i may be in the dark as far as what i am missing without the anti-roll stabilization and active steering, but from what i do know, i love the car. it drives very well at a variety of speeds, it corners wonderfully and has that awesome bmw feel. the convience of the hatch and wagon layout is another plus in my mind. in short, i love the car. it comes with self leveling suspension which seems to raise automatically when the car is locked. so, yes, when the car is sitting it does sit slightly higher than a regular 5 series. it does not look bad though. when driving the car feels as though it hunkers down. if you live in a snowy area i would not get teh sport package as the run flats are not going to help you much in the snow. if you area planning on getting a second set of snows that it doesnt matter. i opted for all seasons and the standard 17 inch wheels.

#17 ·
530xiT with 18" Wheels

Anyone have any experience, or thoughts on how the 18" wheel upgrade with performance tires might affect the handling and ride as compared with the 17" all-seasons which are standard?

#18 ·
Wagonman, I'm scheduled for ED at the beginning of August for a new wagon (congratulations on yours). You say that yours has the Self-Leveling Suspension. I remember an oblique reference to it in the brochure but the feature is not listed in the specs. I'm curious if it's a standard feature that BMW doesn't make too much noise about. I wonder if there are any others (Hill Descent maybe?). Enjoy your new ride!

#19 ·
yes

fuenfwagon said:
Wagonman, I'm scheduled for ED at the beginning of August for a new wagon (congratulations on yours). You say that yours has the Self-Leveling Suspension. I remember an oblique reference to it in the brochure but the feature is not listed in the specs. I'm curious if it's a standard feature that BMW doesn't make too much noise about. I wonder if there are any others (Hill Descent maybe?). Enjoy your new ride!
the car does have hill descen control. yea, i accnot figure out the self-levelling suspension. as near as i can tell they forgot to put in the spec sheets. it was listed as standard in some of the european mags i read and i figured the us spec cars disnt have it. i think i have since the car makes a funny noise when i lock it and appears to be raising up slowly. you will love the car. thanks for your note as well. what color are you getting? good luck with it. it is awesome!

#20 ·
Cool news about Hill Descent...how does it work? is there a switch to engage it? I went with Orient Blue with a very staid grey interior and anthracite trim. For options I added premium (for the auto liftgate), sound, nav, pdc and active cruise. I was back and forth on HUD but decided to save my money. So now it's a waiting game until she rolls off the line next month, can't wait to get behind the wheel of my own! What are you thinking about how our wagons will do in the winter. The ground clearance is my only concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.